EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
CLASSICS READS > Jane Eyre - Pre-Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) This discussion is for the September 2018 Classics Read of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë. SPOILERS ARE NOT ALLOWED. For the spoiler discussion, please see the SPOILERS thread.

Miranda So, this will be the first book I will join in reading for this book club. And my version is heavy! (it's part of a collection) A brick of a book with, super thin paper, I hope I won't tear any out...

I am looking forward to the read, and I hope I will be able to finish it in time (It is no book to read in the tub, train or plane).

I am a bit afraid, since it's from the 19th century, that it will be a difficult read (lots of words to look up) but I read the first page this morning and it seems to be just fine!

I am very curious to see if I will like the book so I go back to reading now!

Kerri | 702 comments I love Jane Eyre!! Unfortunately I will not be reading along this time, but I am looking forward to the discussion that comes.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim | 15 comments This has been on my TBR for ages, so I'm happy to join.

I dove in yesterday morning, first impression (after two chapters) is good, so I'm looking forward to the rest!

Trisha | 431 comments I’m not sure if I will read this again as I read it fairly recently. But only about a week ago I read Wide Sargasso Sea, so it might be interesting to read it again knowing a bit more about the background. My impression before (no spoilers!) was that there was much more detail in the story than I remembered, & that parts of the film version I’d seen were quite different from the book. I’m looking forward to seeing what others think of the book.

Audrė (audre-reads) Is anyone else overwhelmed with the size of this book? I have been wanting to read this book for about 5 years, but the size of it demotivates to pick it up. And also, as non native English speaker, I find old classics more difficult to read in general because of the complexity of the language. Anyone else having the same struggles?

Hopefully, the fact that it's a group read of the month I will finally get my hands on it. Fingers crossed!

Vicka (vickar) | 7 comments Yay, Jane Eyre!!! This is one of my favorites books ever <3 First time I'll be group reading this, so very excited about the discussion.

Kerri | 702 comments Audrė - would you be able to find a copy in your native language? It has been translated quite a bit, or do you like reading books in their original language? I can definitely see the classic English being a struggle (it is for many Americans too :/ ) I have sometimes read a book in another language with the English version beside me - it is very, Very slow and I haven’t done it much, but then I am not fluent enough in any other languages anymore to read comfortably in them.

I kind of forget that it’s a large book as I love it so much, I just fly through it, oops. Don’t be daunted! You can do it! I hope you enjoy it!

Ps sorry if I got the wrong character at the end of your name; I’m currently in the app so couldn’t reply directly, and looking at it on Goodreads was a little hard to tell...so I did my best guess.

Audrė (audre-reads) Kerri wrote: "Audrė - would you be able to find a copy in your native language? It has been translated quite a bit, or do you like reading books in their original language? I can definitely see the classic Engli..."

Hi Kerri! Thanks for the encouragement. I believe it would be probably easier in my native language, but I live abroad so getting a copy in Lithuanian is quite complecated. However, I figured I'll try to read it on kindle, which will allow me to check the words I don't understand much quicker. Starting to get really excited about it.

Regarding my name, you're absolutely correct. And even if you weren't, I wouldn't mind, because this special character exists only in my language, so many people don't even have it on their keyboards.

Trisha | 431 comments Audrė wrote: "Is anyone else overwhelmed with the size of this book? I have been wanting to read this book for about 5 years, but the size of it demotivates to pick it up. And also, as non native English speaker..."

I admire you for being able to read books in a foreign language. I wonder if you could watch a film version before reading the book? It might help to give you some background information about the story. There is some information about the films in the Spoilers discussion. I hope you will find a way to read & enjoy the book.

Renee (elenarenee) Jane Eyre was a gateway book for me. I first read it as a preteen. It was one of the first things I read that made me love reading. I had an amazing teacher who challenged me to read books like Jane Eyre, A tree Grows in Brooklyn and Little Woman.

I still love these books and am looking forward to yet another re read

message 12: by Andrea (new) - added it

Andrea | 67 comments I have to admit that I read the cliff notes when it was assigned in high school. I am hoping with "maturity" that I will be able to appreciated this work as I know many others do. I just ordered this book and hope it comes in in time for complete it this month.

Cassie (cwalters-shantal) | 28 comments I just downloaded the audiobook today to listen to in the car and at the gym. I'm going to have to find other times to listen to it as well, though, because the audio file is 24 hours long lol. I plan on getting through all three books this month, so I really need to make some time. Looking forward to it, though, especially after all the praise by my above commenters.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I read this about 7 years ago. It was so much better than I expected. I knew the basic story from old films, but there was a whole story line in the middle that I didn't remember seeing at all.

The book was long, but I don't remember it as being difficult to read. It pulled me in, demanded my full attention, and left me drained emotionally. I couldn't read (or do) anything else for a while afterwards. I just wanted to think about it.

Cassie, I listened to the audio book for part of the time, which is how I learned that the name St.John is pronounced Sinjun (I have no idea why). Reading a print copy is faster though, so you might want to pick it up from the library for the times when you're so engrossed you want to go fasterl

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 1050 comments Don't forget that this is way old and so out of copyright, and therefore even easier to read than going to the library. Just download or read online from someplace like Project Gutenberg or Open Library: https://openlibrary.org/works/OL10954....

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Cheryl wrote: "Don't forget that this is way old and so out of copyright, and therefore even easier to read than going to the library. Just download or read online from someplace like Project Gutenberg or Open Li..."

Thanks Cheryl!

There is also a listening for free option through librivox: https://librivox.org/search?q=Jane%20...

Jemma (captainjemima) I have never read Jane Eyre before so I am looking forward to getting stuck in! It has been a while since I read a classic, too. I actually have a motivation for reading Jane Eyre - I want to read the book The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde, and I read somewhere that it is best to have a knowledge of the original Jane Eyre first!

Renee (elenarenee) Oh I loved The Eyre Affair
That is such a fun serious. It has so many funny things. I reread this one and found ouns I had missed the first time

Jemma wrote: "I have never read Jane Eyre before so I am looking forward to getting stuck in! It has been a while since I read a classic, too. I actually have a motivation for reading Jane Eyre - I want to read ..."

message 19: by Bonnie (new) - added it

Bonnie (birdieb) | 1 comments This was on my list to read so now I have a reason to put it off no longer. Looking forward to sharing with you all...new to the group.

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 1050 comments Welcome, Bonnie!

Jessica (jessies.booked) | 0 comments Jane Eyre was a classic I'll admit I was disappointed by when I first read it. I had started going through some classics on my own in high school since I didn't have a literature class that focused on those books. However, despite that, I do want to reread it someday! I think I would have a different perspective on it now almost ten years later. I won't be joining the read this time (since I have so much on my tbr for this month already) but I look forward to seeing what others say about it.

message 22: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 31 comments I loved this book so much. This was my first absolute fav book!

(kidsstoryworld.com) Kirsten  Allen Recently started reading this. Really enjoying it so far 😁

message 24: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (harpweaving) | 6 comments I just wanted to say that if anyone is intimidated by the size or has a language barrier, there is a great audiobook version on Audible read by Thandie Newton (Maeve from Westworld). She does a wonderful job!

message 25: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa (harpweaving) | 6 comments Oh and also, for those of you have read it before, there’s a great biography of Charlotte by Claire Harmon called Charlotte Bronte: A Fiery Heart. It’s so good and gives so much context to the writing of the book!

message 26: by Karen (last edited Sep 09, 2018 06:07PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen (rhyta) | 79 comments Jemma wrote: "I have never read Jane Eyre before so I am looking forward to getting stuck in! It has been a while since I read a classic, too. I actually have a motivation for reading Jane Eyre - I want to read ..."
Funny you should mention Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair I just finished re-reading it and it was so much fun. You should read Jane Eyre first because you would miss out on all the funny jokes and plot tweaks he refers to.

I haven't read Jane Eyre since college so this will be good to see if it has aged well. I am going to try an audio version (narrated by Wanda McCaddon) this time so I am glad to get started.

message 27: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz | 2 comments This is my first time reading with the group, I picked Jane Eyre (I couldn't commit to all three). I'm not sure if anyone else knew this, Amazon has a ton of free classics, titled Amazonclassics edition. I grabbed Jane Eyre from it, here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Eyre-Amaz...

Looking through there are a ton of others that are free, so thought I'd share!

Marja I just joined this group and this will be the first book I read with this group.

I considered reading Jane Eyre before, but put it off of my list. The reason for this was that just last month I read my first Jane Austen book and didn't like it that much (<- the unpopular opinion). Now, I know they are completely different authors, but in my head I automatically group together all the female authors of the time and assume their books are similar. But obviously it is not Charlotte Brontë's fault, that I did not like Miss Austen's book, so, inspired by joining this group, I'm going to give Jane Eyre the chance it surely deserves.

message 29: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Marja wrote: "I just joined this group and this will be the first book I read with this group.

I considered reading Jane Eyre before, but put it off of my list. The reason for this was that just last month I re..."

I love Jane Austen - but she is totally different than the Bronte sisters!

Jane Eyre is one of my favorite classics. I read it again and again and again.

If onyone is interested, BBC's Bookclub program did Jane Eyre once:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03s...

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 1050 comments Not only that, but the women are of different eras. Austen died in 1817, Bronte was born in 1816.

And yet I, too, tend to lump them together. Oops.

Susan | 442 comments I'm really looking forward to reading this one, after I finish a few others I've been working on. Jane Eyre literally seems like EHRTBM, if anything ever did!

message 32: by Miriam (new) - added it

Miriam I’ve just started it today and am loving it! I’m a bit sad I’ve so vehemently put it off until now.

message 33: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny | 2 comments Just started reading tonight! I’m listening to the audiobook until I can get out this weekend and grab a copy at the library. Anyone else listening to it?

message 34: by Aqsa (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aqsa (her_747) | 31 comments I hope I can fit it in my schedule this month.

I already read once. How are you finding it so far?

message 35: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny | 2 comments Cassie wrote: "I just downloaded the audiobook today to listen to in the car and at the gym. I'm going to have to find other times to listen to it as well, though, because the audio file is 24 hours long lol. I p..."

I’m doing audio too Cassie! How are you liking it? Sometimes I find myself getting lost in the descriptions, but I set my mind to focus and rewind! Curious if you’ll read it all through audio or if you want to get a physical copy to? Good luck!

message 36: by Brittnee (new) - added it

Brittnee Randolph | 2 comments I am also reading this for the first time and have put it off for years. I also just joined this group today and I love the concept and I’m excited to be part of this group!

I look forward to discussing the book asking the many questions I’m sure I’ll have!

Shaneka Knight | 108 comments Haven't read along for a while, and honestly hoping I'll finish before October but challenge accepted!

Quinty | 139 comments I just started this book today and I'm surprisingly really enjoying it so far! I've had a bit of a skeptical attitude towards anything written by the Brontë sisters, after trying and failing to read Wuthering Heights when I was younger. It looks like Jane Eyre might change my mind!

Joanna | 48 comments Yay! So excited to read this after a brief history of time!!! Feel like I’ve already read it having seen the movies. But fairly sure I haven’t. Was the same with Rebecca, loved that too. Am ready to love this!!!

A little eager.

Susan | 442 comments I have to say I am only 25% through the book, but it feels like "already 25%", this books seems to almost read itself. I am mostly listening to it and I have to say that Charlotte Bronte was both well ahead of her time and a fantastic writer! I understand all the enthusiasm now :)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) Susan wrote: "I have to say I am only 25% through the book, but it feels like "already 25%", this books seems to almost read itself. I am mostly listening to it and I have to say that Charlotte Bronte was both w..."

I have always thought that. It draws you in easily.

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) I am getting started now. I am reading a graphic novel version. Pretty excited about that.

message 43: by Audrė (last edited Sep 27, 2018 03:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Audrė (audre-reads) Interesting to see so many opinions and how quick you are all reading this book. I started it quite early this month and I'm only 44% in. I absolutely love it, but it's just a very slow read for me. I guess I'm just not used to reading Victorian books. But it definitely inspires me reading more of them :)

I am definitely not gonna finish it together with a group, but I'm not very upset about it. As long as I enjoy... :)

Morgan | 27 comments Must get to this. I read a condensed version when I was young but I really want to read the complete version. Try to squeeze it in in October.

message 45: by Karen (last edited Oct 28, 2018 12:30PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karen (rhyta) | 79 comments Jenny wrote: "Just started reading tonight! I’m listening to the audiobook until I can get out this weekend and grab a copy at the library. Anyone else listening to it?"

I started with a copy read by Wanda McFaddon, she does a passable job but I gave up and went back to the print. Something about the language doesn't translate as well for me on audio. Found myself having to back it up because I wasn't sure what I heard.

I am so enjoying the book again, I had forgotten parts of it so this makes it fresh and I like it even though I just got through a sad part. She's a teacher now and more changes are in store for her.

Ananya | 28 comments Hey! Some of us have decided to buddy read Jane Eyre starting from 1st June. Hope the plan is still on board. I'm going to start reading today. My aim is to do 3-4 chapters per day. (Mine is the Amazon classics Kindle edition with 38 chapters)
Also is this the correct folder for our discussions? Or can we still use the buddy read thread?

Ananya | 28 comments I read the first 5 chapters, and they were good. Honestly I had no idea how the novel was gonna start. When you read about boarding schools, it just makes you respect your normal schools lol.

Lindsay | 150 comments I am going to try to join as well, but don’t know if I’ll be able to keep up with 3-4 chapters per day. I’ll try but either way am looking forward to the discussion

Ananya | 28 comments No problem Lindsay! Read at your own pace. I'm looking forward to the discussion too. :)

Lindsay | 150 comments How is everyone doing with the book? I am about halfway in....... can’t figure out where the book is going and finding some chapters more interesting than others

« previous 1

EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jane Eyre (other topics)
The Eyre Affair (other topics)
Wide Sargasso Sea (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Charlotte Brontë (other topics)