Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Favorite Discussions > Just talk- September

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Ok all this is out thread to carry on positive conversations or ask a question that doesn’t perhaps have a place on the the other threads. We usually start things off with a discussion question. I just attended college orientation with my fourth and final daughter today. She will be attending the same university that I did and is pursuing her degree in education. How about all of you ? As summer has wound down, what does September hold for you ? Any folks going back to school, or sending kids off to school?

message 2: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2817 comments Mod
September holds work for me. Tutoring kicked up last week, and I have an editing job I'm working on now. Of course, I'm hoping to still fit in plenty of reading time. We'll see how that goes.

message 3: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3227 comments Mod
Sent our grandson off to first grade. I am hoping to be able to volunteer in his classroom once a month to do a read-aloud along with a writing or art acitivity. September is also a busy month with doctor's annual appointments for my hubby and I before our cold weather and snow hits.

message 4: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Beth (bbulow) | 2341 comments Mod
Back to school here, lol. Between my job at a university and graduate classes, there's no escaping that "summer is over" feeling. However, I really enjoy September. I wish people wouldn't rush things to fall so quickly, but I love summer, so I know many don't agree.

Really hoping to take things in stride and keep a "this too shall pass" feeling, in hopes that I don't feel quite as stressed as I did last year.

message 5: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Andrea wrote: "September holds work for me. Tutoring kicked up last week, and I have an editing job I'm working on now. Of course, I'm hoping to still fit in plenty of reading time. We'll see how that goes."

Glad to hear that about tutoring, Andrea!

message 6: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Thanks, Beth! I hope we continue to have a positive influx of students this year. The last two were really light, and I'm ready to dig in and help as many kids as God wants to send my way.

message 7: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Will keep that in my prayers Andrea.

message 8: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Thank you, Loraine!

message 9: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 258 comments Planning on having my house reroofed in Sept.
My plan is to use some of the used shingles for a landscaping project. My Insurance guy gave me a list of approved shingles so I have to make decisions & get current estimates .. have 2-3
contractors in mind.
..Appreciate prayer for me to be diligent 2 do my part and for the weather to be good etc.

message 10: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Father God, please provide the guidance and good weather that Nancy needs in order to have her roof redone this month. Amen.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) I'm still just working and hoping to get my license. Very little happens in my life so really not much worth sharing.

My dad promised me we would get me my license by the end of July and here I am, flipping my calendar to September. I just don't believe his promises anymore :\

message 12: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments September is sounding busy for a lot of you! My medical supply business is taking off as a large account has signed on with us. So I will be very busy learning a lot in how they want things done , etc. Also my daughter and I are doing The Music Man at a local community theatre that we live so We are really looking forward to that. On top of all that , my husband got a new job so he is traveling a lot with that, so I am praying that he will continue to do well with his health.
And Hunter I hope that you can get your license soon- I know that’s something that super important so I’m rooting for you. I’m praying for wisdom for you as well in how to broach the subject with your Dad.

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you, Cheryl. Good luck!

And thanks. I dont know how to, as whenever i bring it up he promises we will then he just...doesn't. He doesn't listen to what I say or what i think about certain things.

Anyway, hope you have fun at Music Man! I've never seen it myself but I hear it's good.

I'd love to do some acting when I can drive myself places, even if it's just for fun. In school we read Shakespeare and I was one of few people to put effort and passion into it.

message 14: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 109 comments I also love late spring and summer and do not look forward to September, when it gets cooler and then colder and we can even get snow. I need the sun and we get less and less of it now. Anyway, enough of that.

About this time last year, I had to give up my Avon business due to a medical problem that has since improved. I did not give up altogether; stayed a rep, ordering for myself and my daughter. Now Avon has given us e-stores, so my family and friends across Canada can order from me and have their orders delivered directly to them. Hopefully, I can get some new customers and make a little money again. I will post the link here if it is ok.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 15: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Cheryl, congrats on all the exciting things that are going on for your family! I'm so happy for all of you and wishing you the best.

message 16: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 12:04PM) (new)

Beth, we actually try not to put in links for that sort of thing, as we'd have to allow everyone, and then the group could get spammy. So sorry!

I wish you the best with the new e-store, though. Sounds like it could be lucrative for you.

message 17: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl - congrats on your medical supply business growing and for Dave's new job.

Hunter - prayers that this will be the month you get your license.

message 18: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 109 comments That is ok, I figured it was the case, which is why I did not put it in my post. I hope that I get some business from it, but if not, then that is ok too.

Beth- ;)
in Calgary

message 19: by Rachel (new)

Rachel My oldest son is starting 2nd grade tomorrow. I am glad of that and of the fact that I feel much better than I did yesterday. My poor husband had to do a lot this weekend because both my toddler and I were sick yesterday. He's seemingly back to normal today. I am still recovering from whatever it was, but I can eat normally again.

message 20: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

I hope your son and you are fully back to good health soon, Rachel.

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Thanks, Andrea.

message 22: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Praises you are feeling better Rachel and prayers for a successful year for your second grader. My grandson started first grade this year.

message 23: by Cheryl (last edited Sep 04, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments My youngest daughter just started her Jr. year of college today - she got her AA through a community college through the running start program at her high school (such a great program that saves parents lots of money!) She wants to be an elementary school teacher. Time marches on. I think she will make a great teacher!

message 24: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments Well my empty nest from last month is full again. My younger daughter left for a job out of state but it didn’t work out and she came home. She started a part time job today and is hoping to add another part time job in a month or so.

My other daughter is home for a few days as she has not been feeling well and her doctor is on our side of town. She is planning to find a dr on her side of town but didn’t want to go to a brand new dr in the middle of all this.

message 25: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Aw, Joy, I hope your girls recover well from the illness and disappointment. I'm so glad they have you!

message 26: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 04, 2018 11:55AM) (new)

Prayers for both your daughters Joy.

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Praying for you and your daughters as well Joy. Yes sometimes Jobs don’t work out- praying that she finds just the right job I’m just the right timing and for your other daughter to heal.

message 28: by AlegnaB † (new)

AlegnaB † (alegnab) | 959 comments Have any of you used the Biblearc.com website or app? I'm interested in trying out a class to learn the method, but the website (on my PC and my iPad) and app (on my iPad) don't work properly for me.

message 29: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments Thanks for the prayers.

I have not used Biblearc.

We are getting a preview of fall right now and I love it. Cooler morning temps and highs in the 80’s. Over the weekend it was 70’s!

Hunter (Totally NOT a communist ☭) (codenameagentmcmuffin) Here it's dipped down to around 59 during the evening while days prior it was in the mid 90's

Weather confuses me >.<

message 31: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

We're having 50's at night and 90's during the day here in Northern Colorado. This is crazy. We actually broke a high temp record yesterday.

message 32: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 867 comments Loraine, you're hotter than it is down here! High 70s and low 80s this week, with lows in the 60s.

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth  (canadianbeth) | 109 comments Summer is gone from here. We are expecting snow tomorrow and Friday, and again on Sunday but so far they say it will not stick. We shall see. Right now it is just plus 8C and overcast.

Beth - ;)
in Calgary

message 34: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Early snow Beth-;)!! Hope you get back to some warmer weather again before winter really hits.

message 35: by Missy (new)

Missy | 592 comments Oh, I wish it would look somewhat remotely like fall or the chance of snow. But you don't get that in central Mississippi where it is 85 degrees (feels like 91) and humid. It is times like this I miss living back up North with the smell of fall and the cool autumn air.

message 36: by Beth, Head Librarian (new)

Hi, all! Between school and work, I am really struggling to make easy but good dinners. If anyone has some go-to "one pot" stove top meals that don't require a ton of time to prepare and cook, as well as some slow cooker meals that could actually cook ALL day in the crockpot (not 4 - 6 hours, etc.) as I'm gone for 8 - 9 hours most days, I would welcome any suggestions! :) Thanks!

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel I often do 2 to 3 Knorr's pasta or rice packets and add canned meat to them. They don't take very long and are cheap and filling.

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | 104 comments Tonight I’m doing a stir fry with frozen precooked shrimp and frozen broccoli. My rice will cook while I’m stir frying the rest. Oh and I picked up a pre made sauce.

For crock pot meals, I finally got a crockpot that you can set for a certain time and after that it goes to warm. TOTALLY worth it.

But in general I will throw chicken breasts, black beans, corn, and salsa or Rotel into the crockpot. Cook on low all day—a couple extra hours won’t hurt.
You can add water or chicken broth and seasonings and call it Mexican chicken soup. Or you can layer it with corn tortillas, enchilada sauce, and cheese and bake for 20 min or so and call it enchilada casserole. Or you can spoon the mixture into flour tortillas or taco shells and call it chicken tacos.

message 39: by Missy (new)

Missy | 592 comments I always do my pot roasts, beef tips, and pork tenderloins in the crock pot while I am at work, left overs are always great as BBQ shredded beef or pork sandwiches (I'm actually trying Rootbeer BBQ Chicken sandwiches tomorrow in the crock pot for dinner). I also make Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili by Skinny Taste and serve over rice which the family loves. Soups are great in the crock pot, just throw everything in and cook all day (especially when it is cold out -- which at 92 here today, it is not). Sometimes I will make extra sloppy joe meat, freeze, and then put that in the crock pot for a quick dinner. Stir Fries are a great quick dinner, my family's favorite is beef and broccoli.

message 40: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Beth, if you have crock pot recipes that are 4-6 hours on high, they would be 8-10 hours on low.

Here's one of my favorite crock pot recipes:

Honey-Pineapple Chicken
3 lbs chicken (your favorite type: breasts, wings, etc.; I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1 garlic clove
1 cup fresh or canned pineapple, cubed (or drained, if canned)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1. Mince the garlic with a sharp kitchen knife. Cut the pineapple into 1-inch cubes.
2. Combine the salt, pepper, honey, soy sauce, pineapple, vegetable oil, and garlic in a bowl, and mix well.
3. Place the chicken in the slow cooker (crock pot). Pour the sauce over the chicken and cook covered on low setting for 6 to 7 hours.

There's a note in my cookbook: To keep chicken from drying out during a party, mix in a half cup of water every hour.

I'm thinking you could try it for the 8-9 hours and see how it turns out. If it gets too dry the first time, then you could probably add in 1/2 to 1 cup of water before you leave the house the next time you cook it for that same amount of time. It's been a while since I've made it, but my rusty memory thinks this is a juicy recipe, meaning there's lots of juice left in the pot at the 7-hour mark, so it might be fine to go out that extra hour or two.

message 41: by Karin (new)

Karin | 238 comments Beth wrote: "Hi, all! Between school and work, I am really struggling to make easy but good dinners. If anyone has some go-to "one pot" stove top meals that don't require a ton of time to prepare and cook, as w..."

I do one pot meals, but use organic tomato sauce I pick up at a discount store instead of powdered mixes, or I use herbs from the garden. This is something I cook on the stove.

My base is either ground beef or chicken tenders, etc--something that doesn't involve a lot of work. I either start with that and a small bit of water OR a bit of the water I use to cook my beef as I have allergies and cook separately, or you could use a bit of stock (I don't pan fry in oil as I hate the clean up involved--I quit that years ago) and the herbs. If using tomato sauce, I don't need as much if that.

Once that is sauteed, here is my go-to for this one:

I add a can or pouch of beans, whatever everyone in my family will eat, so usually black, pinto or navy beans and some frozen vegetables. The reason for frozen vegetables is because with our busy schedule I don't buy a lot of "fresh" ones that might go bad if things come up. I might add some garden chives (at the beginning) or tomatoes from the garden, etc, depending.

With this I serve baked potatoes or sweet potatoes in the cold months. Sometimes I use a pot (not a frying or sauce pan), cook a pot of pasta first, take that out, cook this (with or without the beans and veggies) and stir it in until it's hot. I really do go for a one pot meal. Leftover pasta can work as well.

Variations can include putting cheese on top of each serving.

There are plenty of crock pot meals, of course, but for the past few years I hardly ever seem to use that except for holidays.

message 42: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrvilla) | 9 comments I don't know if this is the right thread for this question but I seem to remember seeing a Christian contemporary romance set in Australia somewhere in this group. Does anyone know the title or author? Thanks so much! We are visiting there and thought it'd be fun to read this (if it exists)!

message 43: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

I know this one took place in New Zealand:
Close to You by Kara Isaac

message 44: by Missy (new)

Missy | 592 comments I think October's group read was Then There Was You by Kara Isaac Then There Was You. It is set in Australia.

message 45: by Amy (new)

Amy (amyrvilla) | 9 comments Thanks Missy and Andrea! Then There Was You was the cover/book in my mind. Appreciate you gals!

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea, for some reason I can message you... :( It wouldn't surprise me if I'm somehow blocked. -_-

message 47: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Kendra, I sent you a message. Please try replying to it to see if that works. My profile is public, so there shouldn't be any restrictions on who can send me a message.

message 48: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Amy, I'm glad you found the book you were looking for! I was thinking the right author at least. :)