You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > October 2018 - Theme Nominations

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 02:15AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Time to nominate!

If you have an idea for a theme, go ahead and nominate it below.

Please keep in mind what we have said the last couple of months about blatant nominations for themes that fit in to the yearly challenge.

If you don't have a theme idea, you can second someone else's nomination instead, but that will count as your own nomination, and that theme will be entered twice in random.org - giving the theme an additional chance to make the cut.

Only 5 themes will make the cut and end up in the poll.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people. If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Books whose title starts with A", you need to state "I second Books whose title starts with A".

Nominations close September 6.

Nominations:
'City', 'village' or 'town' in title II
MC has a military rank I
'Ghost' in title or a ghost on the cover III
Dance theme I

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I would like to nominate books with the words 'city', 'village' or 'town' in the title.

message 3: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments I nominate books where the MC has a militaty rank.

message 4: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments Sarah wrote: "I would like to nominate books with the words 'city', 'village' or 'town' in the title."

I like this! I'll second it.

message 5: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (fiiicoooo) | 270 comments I would like to nominate books with the word “ghost” in the title or a ghost on the cover.

message 6: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Fiona wrote: "I would like to nominate books with the word “ghost” in the title or a ghost on the cover."

I will second Fiona's "ghost" in the title or ghost on the cover.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 18231 comments I like the ghost idea too :-)

message 8: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15251 comments Funny, I was thinking about “ghost stories,” but the book I was thinking of doesn’t have “ghost” in the title or one on the cover. Hmmm... I’ll have to think on it.

message 9: by Margo (new)

Margo | 10290 comments Oh yes - this is the lead up to halloween! Where does time go?

message 10: by Eliestal (last edited Sep 03, 2018 11:54PM) (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Since it's World Ballet Day on October 5th, I would like to nominate a dance theme! It can either be the name of a dance in the title, people dancing on the cover, or that the MC is a dancer.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will second (or third) Fiona's "Ghost" in the title or on the cover.

message 12: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Yikes! You guys, ghosts? If that one gets chosen, you'll all have to help me find a ghost book that doesn't actually feature a ghost. LOL Is that even possible? Anyway, in honor of avoiding ghosts, I'll second Sarah's city, village, or town in the title. And if it ends up being ghosts after all, I'll get over it. *smile*

message 13: by Cherie (last edited Sep 05, 2018 07:32PM) (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 20699 comments Tricia wrote: "Yikes! You guys, ghosts? If that one gets chosen, you'll all have to help me find a ghost book that doesn't actually feature a ghost. LOL Is that even possible? Anyway, in honor of avoiding ghosts,..."

I suggest that you read The Graveyard Book, if the theme is chosen. Even if it is not, you should read it. :0)
No one does ghosts like NG.

message 14: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 51943 comments Tricia wrote: "Yikes! You guys, ghosts? If that one gets chosen, you'll all have to help me find a ghost book that doesn't actually feature a ghost. LOL Is that even possible? Anyway, in honor of avoiding ghosts,..."

There are books that have ghost in the title, such as The Ghost Bride and The Ghost Brush. They are out there.

message 15: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 15595 comments I'm with you Tricia! I can do friendly ghost books but no horror.

message 16: by Sandra, Moderator (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9822 comments Lol, Tricia! We have many ghost story lovers in this group. I don't read them very often, but I like a good ghost story from time to time, tbh. Also, as Janice said, there is always a way of "cheating", and read something that fits the theme or task, but it is not out of your comfort zone. :)

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 15251 comments She didn’t nominate ghost stories though, just ghost in the title or on the cover. So Janice’s suggestions aren’t cheating and Sarah’s wouldn’t fit, unless there’s a version that has the ghosts on the cover? I mentioned ghost stories after her nomination, but it’s not what she nominated. Hope I didn’t confuse the issue.

message 18: by Tricia (new)

Tricia (triciareadsitall) | 814 comments Thanks All.

@Cherie, I added The Graveyard Book to my TBR. I like some of his other work; so we'll see how it goes.

@Janice, Thanks for the "Ghost" title suggestions.

@Peggy, Yes, I agree. Friendly ghosts are sometimes doable.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.