75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2018 GR Challenge) > Stina's 80 in '18 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 23 comments I always try to read one more book than I did the previous year, so this year my goal is 80. I do count certain short/quick reads, so it's probably not as ambitious as it sounds. :-)

I'm joining in late, so I'm at the 61-book mark now. I have some catch-up posting to do!

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8169 comments Mod
Oh I count everything, as long as I can find it on Goodreads! :) In the past few weeks I've been on a novella/short short story binge that are available on Wattpad from series I've already read. They're like 10 pages or less. lol. You're doing well at 61 books so far! Welcome and thanks for joining! :)

message 3: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4148 comments Mod
I agree with Elyse, count everything! I used to be worried about counting really short materials. Then one day I realized I was taking this too serious AND the short stuff balancing out the really long stuff.

message 4: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1877 comments Absolutely! Count everything you read :)

message 5: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 23 comments Oh, good, that makes everything so much easier! So, going back to the beginning of the year:

1. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. 2 Stars. This was a decade-long slog for me, but I didn't thoroughly despise it.

2. The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman. 3 Stars. Sappy, predictable, painfully socially aware wish-fulfillment chick-lit. Which was apparently what I was in the mood for.

3. Merry, Merry Ghost by Carolyn G. Hart. 1 Star. Ugh. I'd give it negative stars if I could. Just so much...ugh....

4. The Dispatcher by John Scalzi. 4 Stars. A clever little gem wherein death works...differently. I really liked Zachary Quinto's narration.

5. Time's Edge by Rysa Walker. 4 Stars. This is the second book in a YA time travel series. I'm really enjoying it, but I wish I were better at keeping up with series. I spent too much of the book trying to remember things from the first book and then realized I had missed an entire intervening novella.

message 6: by Stina (new)

Stina (stinalyn) | 23 comments 6. The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden. 4 Stars. I should probably have rated it only 3 stars. Beautifully written, but none of it has really stuck with me.

7. Owl Dance. 4 Stars. A fun weird west steampunk romp. With owls!

8. Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan. 4 Stars. A Denver-set murder mystery that is more depressing than it really needs to be.

9. Pines by Blake Crouch. 4 Stars. Creepy and intriguing and a real page-turner. Poses more questions than it answers, but I'll bite and read the next book.

10. Watson and Holmes - A Study In Black by Karl Bollers & Rick Leonardi. 4 Stars. A modern, Harlem-set take, in graphic novel format, on Sherlock Holmes. Well worth a look, even if you're feeling a little character burnout.

message 7: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 8169 comments Mod
Stina wrote: "Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan. 4 Stars. A Denver-set murder mystery that is more depressing than it really needs to be.

9. Pines by Blake Crouch. 4 Stars. Creepy and intriguing and a real page-turner. Poses more questions than it answers, but I'll bite and read the next book..."

I just picked up Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore last week! Probably won't be able to read it till 2019 though with my backlog list. lol

I really enjoyed the Wayward Pines trilogy. Get used to being left with questions though!! I also liked the show but the books were better. Obv. lol