Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Monthly Group Movie > September Monthly Group Movie: Grosse Pointe Blank

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1996 comments Mod
Grosse Pointe Blank is our September Monthly Group Movie selection:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119229/

It is available on Amazon Prime for $2.99. I'm sure there are other options out there as well.

Please watch and discuss here!!!

message 2: by M.E. (new)

M.E. | 23 comments This looks like it will be a fun one!

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments Great sound track!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 2914 comments Mod
I've seen this one several times, pretty good flick. I did notice that everyone in the movie tends to shoot from the hip and fire dozens of rounds. Not typical assassin behavior.

:)

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments On any reality scale, this movie just ignores it, but it's fun. The idea of an assassins union, complete absence of police, & the sheer number of bullets flying around snappy dialogue is just a hoot.

Oh yeah...the old high school friend helping dispose of the body, in the high school furnace. Yep.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments One of the best parts is at the reunion when that gal hands Martin the baby & he's holding it with "Under Pressure" playing. I'm watching it now.

I've never been to a class reunion, but the torture seems so real. I don't know if they had our 40th or not. I'm still good friends with one couple from high school, but a few years go by between meetings now since we live in different states. Probably a good thing.

I haven't seen anyone from high school...well almost since high school. I saw a couple of people in '74 or'75. Not since.

I'd like to do a "bucket trip" and see some of them again.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments I finished the movie last night. I loved the ending, especially the target & the reason for it. (view spoiler)

Excellent acting. I've always liked Alan Arkin & he was great as the therapist. Joan Cusak, John's sister, was wonderful as Martin's secretary &... well, they all did a great job. Minnie Driver is just so cute.

Joan and her phone calls are great.

message 11: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I, of course, saw this many years ago when it first came out, but don't remember much about it. I will try to watch it again soon. John Cusack and Minnie Driver were two of my favs back in the day!

Joan talking to the "supplier" about the ammunition and then switches completely as she talks to someone else about a soup recipe...."It's not a boring soup chicken broth is just the base!" or something like that. Cracks me up.

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments It's a real Mr. Hyde to a Dr. Jekyll transition, isn't it? Martin does it all the time, too. He's such a nice guy who just happens to have a job that he's good at.

And (view spoiler)

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 818 comments LOL! Yeah.

message 16: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

I just watched this again the other night...so funny! One of the best parts for me was the soundtrack. Definitely brought me back to high school again. I went to high school in MN and moved away when I was 20, so don't see anyone from back then anymore. I have to say that Facebook has brought me back to high school again though, as I am now "friends" with many of them again.