Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Group Reads > Group read September 2018 - This Mortal Boy by Fiona Kidman

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Let us know if you're joining in this month's group read. And if you are, please leave your spoiler-free thoughts here. Happy reading :)

message 2: by Louise (new)

Louise | 1 comments I am in. have my copy from the library

message 3: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Awesome. I'm just finishing my current read and will get myself a copy too :)

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Read the first 100 pages yesterday. Great writing. Some of it's even set in the Hutt Valley in the 1950s - don't think I've ever read anything set there (I lived there a few years in High School).

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
I know I shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but who else thinks the cover of this one is so good?! Love the bright green writing on black and white photo.

message 6: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
I'm almost done with this book - should finish over the weekend. Really enjoying it.

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
Just finished! Really well written. Now eyeing up the other Fiona Kidman novels I own that I haven't read yet.

message 8: by Angie (new)

Angie | 137 comments Just starting today. I wanted to finish my current book first. Looking forward to a slice of NZ history.

message 9: by Angie (new)

Angie | 137 comments Loved the cover of this book for a start!

Finished the book a few days ago and know it is one that will stay with me.
Found it a very moving account of Albert's life and can only imagine what his poor mother went through on the other side of the world.
It sheds light on an aspect of NZ history that I had never read about before.

message 10: by Erica (new)

Erica | 952 comments Mod
I know the cover is so great a?!

message 11: by Craig (new)

Craig Sisterson (kiwicraig) | 56 comments So just an update on this thread that THIS MORTAL BOY has gone on in 2019 to win both the NZ Booklovers Award for Best Adult Fiction Book (which mixed popular and literary fiction), and the Acorn Prize for Fiction at the 2019 Ockhams.

Seems a book loved by readers, critics, and awards judges.

Ka pai and whakamihi Dame Fiona.