The Never Ending TBR Book Club discussion

Books of the Month > 2018 September BOTM - Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman (100%)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Tellefsen (Rescues and Reads) (rescuesandreads) | 96 comments Mod
This is the thread for those who have read the book in its entirety. DO NOT post here or read the thread if you have not finish the book. Spoilers will not be marked here.

message 2: by Brittany (new)

A uniquely formatted book told through mixed media, this will be the quickest 600 pages you will ever read!

An interstellar war, a virus outbreak, a rogue AI system, and a love story? What more could you ask for?

Last year when I read this, I only had one true complaint regarding this story, and it was regarding the voice of AIDAN, the Artificial Intelligence system. The majority of the story is told through third-person perspective and it flowed very well. But the last 100 pages or so were told through the perspective of AIDAN, and his metaphorical, almost poetic speech really did not flow well with the rest of the story, unless he was conversing with Kady. It was hard for me to connect with those portions of the book which was a shame, because it was done through the most climactic points in the story.

But overall, I was very impressed with Illuminae and it only got better with Gemina. My appreciation of Aiden definitely grew in the last two books as well

message 3: by Svenja (new)

Svenja | 2 comments So, after finishing Illuminae a few days ago I would also like to share my oppionion here.

First of all: I agree with Brittany, the format of this book is incredible broad and reading it as an ebook added so much of an futuristic vibe. It really took me by suprise when pictures of the space shuttle appeared. It only got a little monotounos in the last third of the book, when there are only two types of documents: Aidans "thoughts" and the surveillance camera transcript. Of course this was only because it fitted the plot, but the difference in variation between the beginning and the end isn´t a small one.

The story was also great and I was so shocked about the Copernicus incident because I didn´t see it coming. Over all I believe the Phobos Virus was one of my favourite story elements.

Only thing I don´t like is the love story between Kade and Ezra. I mean... it´s cute and I guess Ezras backstory will be more important in the next book, regarding his mom. But I just did not need romance in this story and I guess it would have worked without it. Or maybe I´m just not a romance person.

However I will read Gemina, because I just need to know how this story continues and what exactly Beitech was planning

message 4: by Carly (new)

Carly W. (alderaanwords) | 19 comments Mod
So I ended up listening to this as an audiobook and it was AMAZING. I’ll probably read them someday too because they seem visually interesting as well. I agree that the end was a little more difficult to follow along because of the more limited forms of communication and surveillance but all in all, SO action packed. It was one of my favourite reads this month. The whole love story between Ezra and Kady didn’t move me at all but between AIDAN and his love for his people... now that’s a good love story. Twisted and dark.

message 5: by Brittany (new)

Yeah, I felt way more connected to the relationship we see in Gemina. That is my favorite book in the trilogy.