The Never Ending TBR Book Club discussion

Books of the Month > 2018 September BOTM - Save the Date by Morgan Matson (100%)

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Tellefsen (Rescues and Reads) (rescuesandreads) | 96 comments Mod
This is the thread for those who have read the book in its entirety. DO NOT post here or read the thread if you have not finish the book. Spoilers will not be marked

Haley Hope Gillilan | 2 comments This book surprised me in so many ways! I really thought it was going to be more of a YA rom-com, more in the vein of Matson's book The Unexpected Everything, but it was actually way more of a family drama. I can't remember the last time I read such a good YA family drama. All of the relationships in the family were really well fleshed out- the only character I could have used a little more from was the mom. I was lacking a little internal motivation from her, since was the catalyst of all of the family problems.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Haley Hope Gillilan wrote: "This book surprised me in so many ways! I really thought it was going to be more of a YA rom-com, more in the vein of Matson's book The Unexpected Everything, but it was actually way more of a fami..."

I am currently half-way through and I am loving it! Matson did the family drama so well and all of the characters are so easily distinguishable. I feel like they are my own family!

message 4: by Brittany (new)

This was my first every Morgan Matson book and I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book.

Things I Loved:

1. Matson did an incredible job of bringing you into Grant Family and making you feel as if you were a part of them. Every character was easily distinguishable, I had no problem keeping each one straight, and I think she captured the dynamic of a large family very well.

2. Because you feel as if you are part of the family while reading, this book will make you feel the emotions of the family as well. There were certain parts of the story where the narrator, Charlie, would get extremely frustrated or angry and I would feel those with her. There were also the portions where I thought she was overly naive or ridiculous as well, but for the most part, I felt the emotions she did.

3. Though the book only takes course over about three days, there is a lot of growth and development happening during the story and between the family members.

My main complain about this story, is I feel the same one many people have: the length and the redundancy.

If something could go wrong at the wedding it did. Now, even though you had to suspend disbelief at times, I feel the majority of problems they had could happen in real life in one way or another. However, the extent and amount of problems that happened with the wedding was fairly over the top and it kicked my anxiety in high-gear just because I was always anticipating the next disaster.

Based on that, I feel this could have been about 50-75 pages shorter and it still would have been just fine.

But ultimately, I really enjoyed
this story and I can't wait to pick up more of Matson's books!

message 5: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | -263 comments Mod
I'm going to be starting this one soon! I will get to it this month!

message 6: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | -4 comments I thought it was a very enjoyable book. Nothing too heavy but makes you laugh and entertains.

Sarah, the new paper girl cracked me up.