50 books to read before you die discussion

Stranger in a Strange Land
This topic is about Stranger in a Strange Land
Book Discussions - 100 list > Stranger in a Strange Land

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine This months group read from the 100 list. This is one I'm going to read this month, is anyone else going to join me?

Buck (spectru) I've read it twice, Christine, decades apart and it struck me differently each time. I'm not going to read it again but I hope it generates a good discussions and I'll join in.

message 3: by Linda (new)

Linda | 85 comments I have not read any works from this author before and he's been on my list for awhile, so this is the book among this group's selections this month that I would like to read. I can get the audio for this from the library, so I will probably go that route since I've already got a door stopper of a print book scheduled this month.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 85 comments Well shoot. I knew the audiobook was available at my library, but I didn't realize that there was such a long line for it until I went to check it out. I'm #26 in line for 6 copies. So, I probably won't get to it this month.

message 5: by Buck (last edited Sep 04, 2018 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Linda wrote: "Well shoot. I knew the audiobook was available at my library, but I didn't realize that there was such a long line for it until I went to check it out. I'm #26 in line for 6 copies. So, I probably ..."

Even if you have to wait, it's worthwhile. I've read quite a bit of Heinlein. His style morphed as he got older and this one is near the crux. In the fifties he wrote YA SF, usually referred to as Heinlein's Juveniles. Some of his later works can get a little off the beaten path and some of them in my opinion were not his best stuff. Stranger is a good one.

It was a monthly read in another group not long ago. It generated a good bit of discussion about Heinlein's treatment of female characters, which I for one hadn't picked up on at the time. That aspect probably wasn't all that unusual for the time in which it was written.

One of my takes on it was that it is a satire of commercial religion.

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda | 85 comments Thanks for the info, Buck! Yes, I've heard some discussion surrounding his female characters so I will keep that in mind. I'll definitely keep this one on the list, I just checked and have moved up to position #24.

message 7: by Kiri (new)

Kiri (kirini) | 2 comments I have enjoyed reading many of Heilein's books as I grew up but have yet to read this one, so will look forward to trying to read it this month!

Christine I finished reading this a few days ago and really enjoyed it. I laughed all the way through.

message 9: by Linda (new)

Linda | 85 comments I'm now #13 in line for this audiobook. At this rate I might be able to comment in November/December.