Art Lovers discussion

Mirror Art > Mirrors in Culture and Art

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Mirrors in Culture and Art

Mirrors inspired classic masters of painting and keep inspiring the contemporary ones. Painting a mirror was not only an excuse to show beauty and realism of one’s reflection but also allowed experimenting with optics.

Caravaggio
1597-1599

Susanna and the Elders
Tintoretto
1555-1556

The Toilette
William Hogarth

The Dance Foyer at The Opera
Edgar Degas

The Baleful Head
Edward Burne-Jones

Multiple Self-Portrait
Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz
1915-1917

message 2: by Heather (last edited Sep 01, 2018 01:28AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Modern Mirror Installations

Nowadays mirror production is easy and relatively cheap. Mirror-like surfaces can be manufactured using different materials, in various shapes and sizes. Therefore, they are often used by artists and architects.

Sky Mirror
Anisha Kapoor

Dalston House
Leandro Erlich

http://www.kopernik.org.pl/en/exhibit...

message 3: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Winch | 2 comments Thanks - this is such an interesting theme! The Arnofini Portrait by Van Eyck is another painting which springs to mind. All the tiny details surrounding the mirror behind the couple are so intriguing, and the depiction of the reflected scene is wonderful :)

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Hi Lauren! Have we heard from you before or are you new? Welcome and thank you for your comment! Yes that is a fascinating piece, I agree!

message 5: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Winch | 2 comments Heather wrote: "Hi Lauren! Have we heard from you before or are you new? Welcome and thank you for your comment! Yes that is a fascinating piece, I agree!"

Hi Heather, thanks - I joined the group a while ago, but I haven't really begun to explore all the topics until now. I love art history, and I'm looking forward to discovering lots of new themes and ideas!

message 6: by Meena (new)

Meena Chopra | 6 comments What a beautiful and well researched article. Mirrors fascinate me immensely.
Now in Indian subcontinent, In the states of Rajsthan and Gujrat, Actual mirrors are widely used both in handicrafts and art. Mirrors are used with mud with a special technique to make a painting. I wish I could attach some images here. But if you google you will find them in plenty specially on the pinterest . you may check out here: https://www.pinterest.ca/prlnln/mud-m...

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Meena wrote: "What a beautiful and well researched article. Mirrors fascinate me immensely.
Now in Indian subcontinent, In the states of Rajsthan and Gujrat, Actual mirrors are widely used both in handicrafts a..."

Thank you, Meena! You're a new voice, too! Welcome to the group, or if you've been here, glad to hear from you!

That's interesting what you said about how mirrors are used with mud to make paintings. That seems so cool and unique. I want to check those out. Thank you for posting a link.

message 8: by Heather (last edited Sep 03, 2018 09:36AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I found this youtube video that shows some of the artwork made with mud and mirrors. It's only a couple of minutes showing some Lippan Kaam art.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRG61...

message 9: by Heather (last edited Sep 03, 2018 09:31AM) (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Mud Mirror Art

Mud and Mirror Work (also known as Lippan Kaam) is a traditional mural craft of Kutch, Gujarat, India. Lippan or mud-washing using materials locally available in the region like mixture of clay and camel dung keeps the interiors of the houses cool. Though the work is limited mainly to the interior walls, it can be found on the outer walls as well. These scintillating murals bring life, gaiety, and beauty to generally harsh life of people of Kutch.

Mud and Mirror Work is mainly done by the women of the Rabari community. The women are so experienced in this art form that they usually don’t draw or trace a pattern before beginning work. Rabari is the pastoral community of Kutch, living in the outskirts of its villages. They dwell in a few clusters of communal or family houses known as Bhungas which are designed and built to take care of their practical needs in the harsh climate of Kutch.

This art form has a hoary past as no records are available to trace its origin. Various communities in Kutch do mud-washing in their own distinct style. Artisans of the Muslim community practicing this art form stick to graphic and eye-catching geometric patterns of lippan kaam, as depicting the human or animal form is considered deeply un-Islamic.

Mud mirror work gathered attention of the modern world for its intricate pattern and aesthetic perfection and has made a full transition from its unknown modest stature to the mainstream art world, decorating the walls of urban homes.

Interesting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mud_mir...

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

message 13: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments