Book of The Month discussion

The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
This topic is about The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
2018 > The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments Quick Take:A lowly merchant finds himself in possession of a surprisingly hideous mermaid in this romp through 18th-century London.

message 2: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments This was one of my add-ons. Did anyone else choose this book?

message 3: by Leah (new)

Leah  (whatsleahreading) | 1 comments I chose it! I was a little leery when a good number of reviews mentioned a "glacial pace," but I've seen people review Jane Austen's work the same way. In the snippet they give you on the BOTM website, I was totally sold by her immersive language. I was instantly transported to the scene in the preview; can't wait for the box to get here!

message 4: by Carol (new) - added it

Carol | 18 comments Me too. I agree with Leah. I am leary but I'm giving it a shot. Simon Savidge from The Readers podcast loved it.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber This was one of my picks too and I'm reading it now. It's definitely different and interesting..a little slow so far, but I'm only 100 pages in. I'm enjoying, though I'll admit the language style it's written in forces me to slow down as it's not your "normal" comfortable dialogue. So that does distract me a bit from the story 🤔 but we'll see how it goes!

Stefani | 2 comments I am loving it so far! I’m on page 52 and finding that it’s a quicker read than I thought.

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (thehispanicbookworm) | 314 comments I need to pick this up next! So many book so little time.

extralizard13 | 17 comments I read this one, and while it is a slow read, I think it reflects the era it is depicted in. A lot about this book is very 18th century, and therefore I found it appealing. So... If you’re someone who gets frustrated, not the book for you. With patience, I find it a great book.