The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) The Final Empire discussion

book series that would make good TV shows

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joe (last edited Aug 31, 2018 11:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that have not been adapted but I don't think a 2-3 hours would do justice to the worlds and stories of these books.

the mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson
The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

the lorien legacies series (AKA I am number four series) by Pittacus lore
I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1) Penguin by Pittacus Lore

the iron druid series by Kevin Hearne
Hounded (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne

the percy jackson series by Rick Riordian
Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan

the pillars of reality series by Jack Campbell
The Dragons of Dorcastle (The Pillars of Reality, #1) by Jack Campbell

the gender game series by Bella Forrest
The Gender Game (The Gender Game, #1) by Bella Forrest

the faithful and the fallen series by John Gwynne
Malice (The Faithful and the Fallen, #1) by John Gwynne

the inheritance cycle (AKA eragon) by Christoper Paolini
Eragon (Inheritance, #1) by Christopher Paolini

Yichen Wang I've read the Mistborn series and Inheritance cycle.

I would LOVE to see Mistborn as a high-budget tv series. I don't think a movie, even a well-made one, could do the series justice. An 8 episode series could perfectly capture all the plot points, characters, the mood of the world, and finale. 3 seasons for 3 books - or stretch out the 2nd or 3rd book for an extra season if they want to be greedy. Whatever, the world deserves a more in-depth focus and time spent to appreciate the crew, the world, and all the mini-climaxes.

message 3: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe are there any book series you have read you think should be adapted to the small screen?

Paul Jerimy Maybe a Netflix Original 10 episode series :)

Yichen Wang Paul wrote: "Maybe a Netflix Original 10 episode series :)"

That would be absolutely amazing!

Annalisa97 Totally agree that most books with a big scope of a world and complex plot would be a lot better suted to TV and I would really like to see a well done Mistborn TV show :)

There is also a Grisha verse (Shadow and Bone and later maybe Six of Crows) TV show that has been announced on Netflix, but not sure when it will be released, that I can't wait for.

I would also love to see Illuminae as a movie since it could possibly work as a movie.

And a Red Rising TV show would also be great with all its twists and turns, cliff hanger endings to keep the audience watching shouldn't be a problem there haha.

Oh and my last thought is Throne of Glass, I think it could be an amazing TV show if done well.

And in the end I have to agree with Joe that I would like to see the Lorien Legacies given a good adaptation, I really loved the first books in that series (even though I was a bit dissapointed with the last books :/ ) and think they would be a cool material for a TV adaptation.

Yichen Wang I can't wait to see the Shadow and Bones series. From the summaries, it sounds like I would enjoy Six of Crows more, but I didn't want to read Shadow and Bones first. Maybe now I can watch the series and then go to Six :)

Keriann Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that have not been adapted but I don't think a 2-3 hours would do jus..."

I honestly think Mistborn would excel as an animated series. Live action might be too cringey with all the over the top action. But ugh, I keep thinking: how has no one tried to adapt this?!

Alipriyo Biswas Keriann wrote: "Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that have not been adapted but I don't think a 2-3 hours ..."

Yes exactly. I'm an anime veteran and there is quite a large difference between the fights in a live-action and the anime. Without a doubt, the fights in Mistborn are insane. Kelsier vs Inquisitor is one of the best fights I've come across till date and to be honest, a live-action won't be able to extract the full excitement and technicalities of the fights.

Keriann Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that have not been adapted but I don't th..."

I agree! How about when Vin fought all those Inquisitors at the end of The Hero of Ages and drew in the mists? A live-action truly wouldn't do it justice. I also think that, given the in-depth lore and the world Sanderson built, it would have to be mini-series or full television series. What do you think?

Alipriyo Biswas Keriann wrote: "Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that have not been adapt..."

That fight! Vin vs 13 inquisitors! To be honest, even an anime adaptation will be hard to make. Just think of how dynamic the events are. Vin continuously moving and chasing her are 13 damned Inquisitors! And after she draws in the mist, well, the destruction that follows is next to impossible to be made with a low budget TV series. It either has to be a high budget Tv series or an anime. The fall of Kredik Shaw and the apocalyptic setting after Vin draws the power of Preservation will need some huge facilities. If has to be a full series, or else, we're good reading the book. The world Sanderson has built clearly floats in all our minds. Any compromises done in TV adaptation and it will receive backlash from the fans.

Keriann Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others are books that hav..."

But think about it: animes generally ARE dynamic with fighting sequences. Have you ever seen Seven Deadly Sins or Full Metal Alchemist? And American animated series' also have great fighting sequences, such as in Avatar: The Last Airbender. It can definitely be done.

I feel you on the budgeting though, it probably would be an expensive budget but so was Game of Thrones and look how successful it was (although that was partially due to the copious amounts of sex scenes which Mistborn doesn't have, thankfully.)

Did you know that Mistborn is apart of a larger universe Sanderson created?

Alipriyo Biswas Keriann wrote: "Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Alipriyo wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Joe wrote: "some of these books that were made into films but didn't do well and in my opinion would do better as TV shows others a..."

I know, I know how dynamic anime are, even though I have no experience with any Western action animation. My point was actually that even in an animated series it will take certain amount of work to be done to properly do the Mistborn. That means, it will be even tougher to bring the action properly in a live action TV series.

Game of Thrones was a dark fantasy with a different plot, where as Mistborn, on the surface sounds like a general concept of Shounen anime with the protagonists having an aim of defeating a ridiculously powerful enemy to save the day. So, it might be that many people will not pay much heed since it sounds the same. Also I've heard of people even dropping the book because it seemed childish to them.

Yes, all of Sanderson's fantasy worlds are set in the Cosmere universe. I've just done Mistborn era 1, and I'm currently into The Way of Kings.

Keriann Definitely! You should definitely check out some western animated series sometime! Avatar. *cough cough*

The books aren’t for everyone but people who’ve put it down sure are missing out. So you haven’t read the second Mistborn trilogy? I haven’t started on any of his other books set in the same universe but they’re on my list and I’m pretty excited. What are your thoughts so far, without spoilers?

message 15: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Hi I am reading oathbringer at the moment but i have read the others that are out so far and they are all great in there own way and if you think mistborn would be hard to adapt that is nothing compared to the stormlight archive as the world in it is so unique and full of lore. It is a little slower in pace compared to mistborn but it is never dull. also people think mistborn is childish? a book with men with bloody spikes coming out of them and an entire race enslaved ruled over by a immortal dictator and a cut throat upper class that is a very strange definition of childish.

Alipriyo Biswas Keriann wrote: "Definitely! You should definitely check out some western animated series sometime! Avatar. *cough cough*

The books aren’t for everyone but people who’ve put it down sure are missing out. So you h..."

Well, Sanderson definitely starts off at a slow pace, with the worldbuilding and a lot of characters being introduced. Just read the first 300 pages, the story of The Way of Kings has been more interesting than gripping, as the plot is still being built.

Yeah, I will surely check out some western animated shows. :-)

Alipriyo Biswas Joe wrote: "Hi I am reading oathbringer at the moment but i have read the others that are out so far and they are all great in there own way and if you think mistborn would be hard to adapt that is nothing com..."

Indeed the world of Stormlight archive is much more complex as compared to Mistborn. I just love the way Sanderson keeps creating so many unusual new creatures. Still, in the first half of TWOK, I am quite excited to read what happens next.

And for people dumping Mistborn, I am pretty sure they have absolutely no idea what happens in the story eventually. And I find it quite amusing that people feel The Well of Ascension is not as good as the other ones because it is a bit long. I feel like all that stuff was very much required for the climax to be as amazing as it is. But to me, the part with Vin and Zane was the downside of the book.

Keriann Joe wrote: "Hi I am reading oathbringer at the moment but i have read the others that are out so far and they are all great in there own way and if you think mistborn would be hard to adapt that is nothing com..."

Is the stormlight archive set in the same universe or a different one? Sanderson honestly has such an imagination it's crazy.

And yeah I'm surprised myself but people who judge it with a closed mind are missing out!

Keriann Alipriyo wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hi I am reading oathbringer at the moment but i have read the others that are out so far and they are all great in there own way and if you think mistborn would be hard to adapt that is..."

I liked Zane but I do see why people wouldn't like those parts of the books as much. They kind of didn't fit into everything even though through Zane we get a taste of Ruin's manipulation, but we didn't really NEED that since we also noticed his influence elsewhere. But I loved all three books regardless of their tiny flaws sprinkled in. In the first book Vin and Elend fell for each other way too fast, which falls in line with a trope I hate, but I dealt with it. Not everything is perfect.

Annalisa97 Loved all of the bookst in the original Mistborn trilogy, and don't really see how they can be considered childish, most of the main characters are adults and the world is very dark and complex, that doesn't fit into a child's book...
And sure his books might be considered slow at times but that is because of his worldbuilding and him weaving the plot togeather for the payoff we will get at the end, I just love seeing the plot click togeather like a puzzle pieces.
And I totally agree with you guys about the action scenes, have seldom read as good action scenes in books and been able to see them as clearly in my mind while reading as in the Mistborn books.
(Btw I also enjoyed Zane, I think he was an interesting character aswell as adding to the plot by introducing Ruin's manipulation like Keriann mentioned).

Haven't read his other Cosmere stuff yet but they are all on my TBR. But I have read Skyward and mean to read the continuation of that when it comes out later this year and also his Reckoners trilogy before the end of the year.

Keriann Annalisa97 wrote: "Loved all of the bookst in the original Mistborn trilogy, and don't really see how they can be considered childish, most of the main characters are adults and the world is very dark and complex, th..."

Have you read the second Mistborn triliogy (the Wax and Wayne trilogy)?

& I agree, I really don't see how plotting to overthrow an evil ruler is childish buttttt.... *shrugs* I thought the pacing for all the books was pretty good because it did add to the world building and plot, as you mentioned. The pay off in The Hero of Ages was so satisfying I really couldn't deal. I also have a lot more Sanderson books on my TBR as well and I'm excited to get to them.

message 22: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe I have read all the cosmere books so far (still reading oathbringer) and the reckoners and skyward as you can tell he is one of my favourate authors. and small spoiler for cosmere books you should look out for Hoid a character who has cameos in most cosmere books and is clearly going to be important in later books he appeared in final empire where kelsier asks him for information and in hero of ages vin while traveling around the city under the priest guys control considers getting information from him but decides against it.

Annalisa97 Keriann wrote: "Have you read the second Mistborn triliogy (the Wax and Wayne trilogy)?

& I agree, I really don't see how plotting to overthrow an evil ruler is childish buttttt.... *shrugs* I thought the pacing for all the books was pretty good because it..."

No I haven't read the second Mistborn trilogy yet, but I plan to get to it maybe next year, have too big of a TBR for the rest of the year :S haha

And I definetly won't get to his Stormlight Archive series any time soon either, and I'm ok with that because there is probably still some time untill the last 2 books of the first 5 volume series (will later be compleated with another 5 book volume series according to google) and I like to atleast know the releas date of the last book in a series before starting it because I enjoy a series the best when I can marathon it or atleast don't have to wait years for the last books to come out.

But I might check out other books by him in the Cosmere world soonish. So thanks for ponting Hoid out Jeo, I probably wouldn't have noticed him if you didn't mention him, like I don't even remember him from the Mistborn trilogy :/

Alipriyo Biswas Annalisa97 wrote: "Keriann wrote: "Have you read the second Mistborn triliogy (the Wax and Wayne trilogy)?

& I agree, I really don't see how plotting to overthrow an evil ruler is childish buttttt.... *shrugs* I th..."

You should not think of bingeing all of Stormlight archive books. Each volume is a massive one, and each one will take atleast 20 days, unless you're reading all day long. That way, things will really get too monotonous and most probably, you'll lose the actual taste of the story. You can get on with it if you want to. I mean, reading the 5 books one after the other will really suck out much of the fun. And Sanderson writes in a way that helps readers gather the important facts from the previous books, as evident from Mistborn.

Since you have a huge TBR this year, definitely try early next year. The fourth book is coming next year as well.

Alipriyo Biswas Joe wrote: "I have read all the cosmere books so far (still reading oathbringer) and the reckoners and skyward as you can tell he is one of my favourate authors. and small spoiler for cosmere books you should ..."

You are a true Sanderson fan, I see.

Alipriyo Biswas Keriann wrote: "Alipriyo wrote: "Joe wrote: "Hi I am reading oathbringer at the moment but i have read the others that are out so far and they are all great in there own way and if you think mistborn would be hard..."

Vin and Elend's quickly falling is still, kind of admittable. But Vin, being as paranoid as she was, trusting another enemy mistborn just because he gave her a 'homely fellow Mistborn' feeling was really out of character.

Anyway, my favourite from the series is Kelsier and Spook, so I don't mind Vin having a bunch of negative points. Lol.

Keriann @ Joe: Yeah I actually knew about Hoid! After reading the 6 Mistborn books and the Secret History I read up a bit more on google and saw that Hoid was a recurring minor character. He appeared in the second Mistborn trilogy for a brief moment as a beggar. I’m sure his role will expand in a future novel.

@Annalisa: I totally hear you on waiting for release dates before you start binge reading. That’s why I haven’t got onto the Game of Thrones train; George RR Martin is taking an unnecessary amount of time to come out with the last two books, which is annoying. & when you start on the second Mistborn trilogy look out for signs of Hoid and other past characters ;)

Keriann @ Alipriyo: I’m definitely not just going to binge Sanderson books haha, it would get tiring quickly. I still have to finish the Witcher series, amongst other books. I might start one of his other Cosmere books later this year or sometime next year, unless the next Mistborn book comes out sooner.

And I feel you, it was pretty out of character for her to just trust this obviously unstable guy considering she had severe trust issues for most of her life.

I was surprised when Spook upgraded to a main character! His experiences and struggles really made me feel for him, so his successes were even sweeter. And he got to be a Mistborn at the end <3

Since you love Kelsier so much you reeeally should read the Secret History book if you haven’t already.

Annalisa97 @Alipriyo, Since it is such a long series of big books when I say binge it I mean maybe read the entire 5 books over a year with something else inbetween each book, but like I said I just don't want to have to wait over a year between reading a next book in a series :)

@Keriann, Yeah same I'm also waiting with reading Game of thrones untill I will atleast know when he will finish the series haha, but they are also big books so might read two a year of those or something. But will keep alert for familiar names and Hoid :)

But I have to say I enjoyd Vin and Elend and their romance, and if I remember right (since it has been a while since I read Mistborn) they actually took some time to fall for each other because Vin went to those noble gatherings for months, like the first book took place over a long time, but sure they were rather soon interested in each other but I don't think they were in love untill at the end of the book.

And even though I always liked Spook I was also always a bit worried that he would turn on Vin and the crew either because of jelousy (since Vin didn't like him back) or when I began to suspect what was happening with him in book 3, so I never allowed myself to grow too fond of him, silly me :/

message 30: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe yeah the stormlight archives are really lon so long that they are split into two parts here in the UK.

Keriann @Annalisa - You’re right, it did take place over a period of time but I don’t think it was more than a few weeks/months. I guess teens fall in love faster than adults buuuuut they could’ve dragged it out just a biiiit more. I loved their chemistry and every time they interacted in the beginning I actually got excited haha. But when I read it a second time I’ll see if maybe I was just being hyper critical about it.

And aww maybe if you do a second read through you’ll feel differently about Spook <3

@Joe - Wow that’s insane. The books are prreeeeeeetty fat so I’m not that surprised.