Christian Fiction Devourers discussion

Archived Favorite Discussions > The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd Buddy Read (Sept 1 - Sept 30)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Loraine (librarydiva) | 3229 comments Mod
The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional by Sandra Byrd

When was the last time you took a break to experience God's love?
To experience something is to live it, to encounter it, to understand it, to explore with our hearts, minds, and souls as well as with the five physical senses and our God-given spiritual ones. Every action we do with and for God, every good day and bad day, we walk hand-in-hand with God, experiencing Him.

Experiencing God's love takes time. Love unfurls its blossoms in our lives when we concentrate all of our senses on the small gifts we pass by every day. Time slows, and we finally get to hear God's beautiful background hum to our lives.

The One Year Experiencing God's Love Devotional helps you intentionally carve out those moments in your day to savor God and his love for you.

message 2: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 01, 2018 10:04AM) (new)

Sept 1 - Nap Rugs

I remember nap rugs from when I was in kIndergarten, and I also remember when I first began teaching that the kiddos took naps on beach towels. Unfortunately, the curriculum for kindergarten is now what used to be taught in first grade, so there is no nap time but rather a short heads down on their desks.

Times have changed so much over the years. As a senior citizen, I probably have seen many more changes than those of you who are younger. When I was a child, almost all stores were closed on Sunday as that was considered a day of rest. Church and going to a restaurant with family or a big family dinner at home were the main activities followed by family activities at home that allowed a time of rest physically, mentally, and spiritually from the work or school week. My brother and I were not even allowed to go to movie shows, friends' houses, etc on Sunday. Then I married and moved to Texas where my husband was from. There they had "Sunday Blue Laws." No stores were open, a few grocery stores were exempted and you could only buy necessities: milk, bread, and some food products. I'll never forget soon after we moved there throwing a pair of socks for my husband in my cart when picking up some milk and bread and being told they could not be sold on Sunday.

Today's families have such busy lives that with mom and dad both working, Sunday is one of the days they have to clean house, go shopping for groceries, etc. But they still need that time of rest to refresh them mentally, physically, and spiritually. I have often wondered if the hectic pace that many young families maintain doesn't contribute to many of the health problems we are now seeing. A body cannot continually be on high power.

God tells us throughout the Bible that his people needed rest.

MarK 6:31
Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.

What are ways today that you can find that time of rest for both yourself and your family?

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Oh this is so good Loraine! We all need to take the time to rest. I agree with you it is tough with the hectic place to the the time to do it, but I find that my spirit calms when I take the time to rest. I remember when my girls were young and if it was a Sunday, I would often times take a nap and for some reason, Sunday afternoon naps were the best! I think it was a win-win for everyone as Dave would watch the girls, I would rest and the girls got some nice time with their Dad. I always think on the scripture in Mark (2:27) when Jesus was correcting the pharisees saying The sabbath was made for man, mot man for the sabbath. Meaning God created it for us because He knew that we needed rest. I always knew a lot of times that when my daughters went sideways and were overly emotional, etc., that a lot of times the culprit was that they were tired. It's just that same old thing, that why shouldn't we listen to our God on things like rest? He created us and knows what we need. Rest is a good thing and I'm going to try harder to have a stronger Sabbath mentality with my Sundays :).

and PS-Loraine- I wish we could go back to when the culture shut down on Sundays to honor God, I think it would be good for all of us!

message 4: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

I wouldn't mind that either Cheryl; but unfortunately, there would be plenty who would either protest or file lawsuits!

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 259 comments Got the book today! Ah.. kindergarten naps. We didn’t know how good we had it!
My coworker often reflects on how she wants all the stuff kids grumble about.. like naps and early bedtimes :)
I am thankful for this reminder of how God cares for us .. feeling the love .. and realizing that I need to be more respectful of the sabbath day.

message 6: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

So glad your book came and you can join us Nancy!

message 7: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 259 comments Thanks Loraine. I am so happy 2 have won this book and be included in the discussion!
..definitely a highlight of 2018 for me.

message 8: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Sept 2 - Experiencing the Love of God

Sandra continues her discussion of finding rest in order to refresh yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually. She asks us to challenge ourselves by finding a time to rest each week and followed up with some ideas how to do that.

Number 3 caught my attention. My daughter in law has a close knit group of 5 women including herself. They are all busy moms with hectic schedules. So they decided that once a month they would each prepare a main dish for themselves and the other four. These dishes would be freezeable and only have to be warmed so quickly ready to eat. They have now been doing this for several months. This gives them each one meal per week that they don't have to prepare. What a great idea to bless each of their friends as well as themselves with a night of rest in a busy schedule.

Since there is only my husband and I at home now, I often (especially during the winter) make dishes that are enough for 2 or 3 meals for us and then freeze the leftovers for other evenings when I don't have the energy or feel well enough to cook.

What is something you can do to give yourself a time of rest which is what God knows we all need?

Exodus 20:8-10. And He said, “My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest."

message 9: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Nancy wrote: "Got the book today! Ah.. kindergarten naps. We didn’t know how good we had it!
My coworker often reflects on how she wants all the stuff kids grumble about.. like naps and early bedtimes :)
I am ..."

Wonderful Nancy!

message 10: by Mara (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:40AM) (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Sept 2 - Experiencing the Love of God

Sandra continues her discussion of finding rest in order to refresh yourself physically, mentally, and spiritually. She asks us to challenge ourselves by find..."

Loraine,
I love that idea of your daughter-in-law with meal prep. Through the years I've joined in a group who did that every once in awhile. If there were 10 of us, there would be that many meals for my family to enjoy. the ladies figured that this was great for their busy lives, and if they didn't have time to cook they would just get the freezer meal out. However, I was using them every night till they were gone :-) I was not saving them for any occasion.

message 11: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oh this is so good Loraine! We all need to take the time to rest. I agree with you it is tough with the hectic place to the the time to do it, but I find that my spirit calms when I take the time t..."

Yes, Sunday afternoon naps are a staple for us. I like how you point out that Sabbath was made for man. Also, I like how you said when your daughters went sideways they were usually tired. I have found this with my daughter particularly. With her, everything turns into a big deal including what we say to her. She just can't let it go , and most the time it's because she's tired.

message 12: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oh this is so good Loraine! We all need to take the time to rest. I agree with you it is tough with the hectic place to the the time to do it, but I find that my spirit calms when I take the time t..."

I agree! I think it would be great for the business owners, in some respects, and also for me so I'm not tempted to do anything I shouldn't on the Sabbath. I cannot believe how the schools have put practices on Sundays. My younger son wants to be a wrestler, but all the practices are during the week including Sundays and then the meets are all day Sundays. So, he can't. He does soccer. During my Master's Degree I lived in France, and I could not believe how they shut everything down on Sundays. We had to pre-plan and that was a good thing.

message 13: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Little loves, big impact
The words of the Godly encourage many. I know that is true. I can remember many times in my life when people said Little Things that impacted me for the better. I am going to try to put little notes in my little childrens' lunch boxes. I hope they like them and are not embarrassed. I have done this when they were quite Young. I know all the texts and the cards I have been getting have encouraged me that people care and are praying for me. I need that right now. I've been having trouble sleeping and I'm crying a lot. I've been scared. It is my chemo week and I truly do not want to go. I am now bald and that has brought on a lot of emotion for myself as well as my daughter. Each of my children cut my hair and then it was shaved. I cannot believe how much I look like my bald, boy cousin. The resemblance is striking!
It has been a very busy week because of 4H and fair. It was actually a very nice week. Keeping busy helps, but at the same time I have not had the time to process and think that I need.
I definitely do not want to focus on my fear because I want to make that impact Sandra talks about. I need to take the focus off of myself and focus on others.

message 14: by Wendy (last edited May 10, 2019 06:17PM) (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments I'm back! I had my nephews up last week, so I was busy with them. (I did mean to get online the day before they arrived to say I wouldn't be around, but that day went crazy, and getting online didn't happen!)

Cheryl wrote: "and PS-Loraine- I wish we could go back to when the culture shut down on Sundays to honor God, I think it would be good for all of us! "

Completely agree, Cheryl & Loraine. I wish we could in the UK too! Sunday trading became legal for us in 1994, which was a shame.

Loraine - love how your daughter-in-law and her friends do that for each other. What a great idea!

On the home front, Mum and Dad always were hot on "Keeping Sunday Special" so I've grown up with that mentality.

For us as children it meant only reading stories and singing songs watching videos that were Bible based - so Bible stories/Christian Fiction (Patricia St John, Chronicles of Narnia, the Mandie series), Christian songs (We grew up on Kids Praise and the Maranatha Kids!) and Christian Films (The BBC miniseries of Narnia were watched a lot!)

It wasn't until I got to my teens and my relationship with the Lord was becoming more meaningful that I started appreciating why Mum & Dad set those rules.

For games they were quieter. We could go out in the garden, but not to do ball games or play on our bikes.
We could do colouring, jigsaws, Bible quizzes/word searches, scrapbooks.

A lot of people thought my parents were rather strict on us, and I suppose they were - however, it was their way of instilling in us a way to keep Sunday quieter, and to focus more on the Lord. And it did set the day apart from the rest of the week for us.

Proverbs 22:6 - Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

message 15: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Nancy wrote: "Got the book today! Ah.. kindergarten naps. We didn’t know how good we had it!
I am ..."

Lovely to have you join us, Nancy!

message 16: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Sept 3 - Little Loves, Big Impact

It is amazing the little things that make us feel loved and that, in turn, we do that make others feel loved even though we might not know it at the time. There is a couple here at our senior apartment complex who never forget a card for someone on their birthday, anniversary, or a holiday. I've heard several of the residents comment on how much they appreciated receiving that card and how special it made them feel. A little thing that went a long way to make someone feel loved.

Growing up, I had chronic bronchitis. There wasn't a whole lot that could be done for treatment in those days. At one point, one of my doctors decided they needed to see if a food allergy was causing the problem. They didn't have the prick tests they do now, so I was placed on a food elimination diet which meant I could only eat certain foods each week. In order to maintain this diet, it meant I had to eat whatever I was allowed at every meal for a week. The cafeteria had set meals at my elementary school and taking whatever food I was allowed wasn't always feasible (no ice packs etc in those days or anything to keep something warm). My dad left his job on his lunch hour every single day during the school week, picked me up at school, took me home and fed me whatever I could have, and then returned me to school. I know it made his break very hectic, but he always did it with love and never complained. It was a little act of love that left a huge impression on me.

Everyday a little act of kindness/love can go a long way. Make a habit to look for little acts of kindness that you can do every single day.

Matthew 25:40 ESV
And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

message 17: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Sept 3 - Little Loves, Big Impact

It is amazing the little things that make us feel loved and that, in turn, we do that make others feel loved even though we might not know it at the time. There i..."

Loraine, great verse! We do remember these wonderful acts of kindness. They stay with me. Your dad taking you home for lunch is heart touching. Did you have a food allergy?
I definitely want to make others feel loved!

message 18: by Mara (last edited Sep 03, 2018 10:15AM) (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Wendy wrote: "I'm back! I had my nephews up last week, so I was busy with them. (I did mean to get online the day before they arrived to say I wouldn't be around, but that day went crazy, and getting online didn..."

Wendy,
I grew up like that too. My grandfather was my pastor and we were taught to keep the Sabbath holy. I can see such a difference between then and now and how I and others I grew up with keep the Sabbath. We were big Nappers between Sunday services. Plus, we had a big lunch with family at someone's house. If there were visitors at church, they would come to lunch too. I really enjoyed having people from church come to lunch because it gave us something to look forward to as children. We played quietly when this happened. Otherwise, it was nap!

message 19: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Mara wrote: "Loraine wrote: "Sept 3 - Little Loves, Big Impact

It is amazing the little things that make us feel loved and that, in turn, we do that make others feel loved even though we might not know it at t..."

Dairy allergy Mara. Now as an older adult I also don't do well with gluten. My bronchitis turned into asthma when I was an adult.

message 20: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Mara wrote: "Wendy wrote: "I'm back! I had my nephews up last week, so I was busy with them. (I did mean to get online the day before they arrived to say I wouldn't be around, but that day went crazy, and getti..."

We often brought people home from church for lunch as well. I loved it when they had kids close to my age. Then there were more to play quiet games with.

message 21: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Had to share something that happened at our Good Samaritan apartment complex today that is so appropriate for our topic today. Sept 12 is apparently National Appreciation Day. So Good Samaritan is supplying little cards (free of charge) for us to use for staff or other residents to let them know ways that we appreciate them. What an awesome idea!!! I am going to hit the Dollar Store and get some more, so I can appreciate lots of staff and friends.

message 22: by Andrea, Hospitality Coordinator (new)

Andrea Cox (andreacox) | 2802 comments Mod
That's awesome, Loraine!

message 23: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Had to share something that happened at our Good Samaritan apartment complex today that is so appropriate for our topic today. Sept 12 is apparently National Appreciation Day. So Good Samaritan is ..."

That's so great!! Also, dairy allergy was found. Good thing.

message 24: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Loraine wrote: "Had to share something that happened at our Good Samaritan apartment complex today that is so appropriate for our topic today. Sept 12 is apparently National Appreciation Day. So Good Samaritan is ..."

How lovely!

message 25: by Mara (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:10AM) (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments September 4th, calming the storms
Jesus is our Messiah! He cares and he allows the storms of life so we could see his power and great care for us. my faith definitely needs building right now because I've been so fearful. I'm glad I'm not alone and I have God. Reminds me of the good hymn, faith is the victory:
Encamped along the hills of light,
Ye Christian soldiers rise,
And press the battle ere the night
Shall veil the glowing skies;
Against the foe in vales below
Let all our strength be hurled;
Faith is the victory, we know,
That overcomes the world.
Faith is the victory!
Faith is the victory!
O glorious victory,
That overcomes the world.
His banner over us is love,
Our sword the Word of God;
We tread the road the saints before
With shouts of triumph trod.
By faith, they like a whirlwind’s breath,
Swept on o’er every field;
The faith by which they conquered death
Is still our shining shield.
On every hand the foe we find
Drawn up in dread array;
Let tents of ease be left behind,
And onward to the fray.
Salvation’s helmet on each head,
With truth all girt about,
The earth shall tremble ’neath our tread,
And echo with our shout.
To him that overcomes the foe,
White raiment shall be giv’n;
Before the angels he shall know
His name confessed in heav’n;
Then onward from the hills of light,
Our hearts with love aflame,
We’ll vanquish all the hosts of night,
In Jesus’ conqu’ring name.

message 26: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Sept 4 - Calming the Storms

Trust is always difficult even for Christians especially in difficult times. It always makes me think of the refiner's fire when I come through a difficult time and know that my trust in my Savior has helped me walk through it no matter the outcome; and, in turn, made me even stronger.

Everyone of us goes through a really deep valley at one time or another in our life when it is really hard for us to trust in our Savior for the outcome. Mine was when my husband (at the time my fiancee) was sent to Vietnam during that war. He served as a corpsman with the Marines even though he was in the Navy which put him at the front line. He was there for 13 months. When weeks would go by with no letters from him, I really had to lean on God and trust that he was keeping him safe. He did return home safely. But it really was a test of my trust in God.

I was part of a 5 church Gospel Fest when I lived in Texas and this was one of the songs we sang. It has stayed with me since then.

Trust and never doubt
Jesus will surely bring you out
He never failed me yet

I will sing of God's mercy
Every day every hour
He gives me power
I will sing And give thanks to Thee
For all the dangers, toils & snares
That He has brought me out

He is my God And I'll serve Him
No matter what the test

Trust and never doubt
Jesus will surely bring you out
He never failed me yet

message 27: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Sept 4 - Calming the Storms

Trust is always difficult even for Christians especially in difficult times. It always makes me think of the refiner's fire when I come through a difficult time and kno..."

He has never failed me... Every day every hour. Love the words of that song.
Thanks to your husband for serving! My dad was also in Vietnam and he was stationed in England. My parents just had gotten married.

message 28: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Loraine- such true words. I love how music and lyrics just stay with us and help to reinforce things in our minds. So good! I googled the song Loraine and listened to the Univ. Of Virginia sing it- so neat.

Our trust is definitely tested in those valleys, where you are just clinging to God for dear life. Sigh, it is so hard in the midst of it, when that storm is big and those waves are overwhelming and lapping up over onto the deck of your boat. Oh my goodness so many tears of mine blended with the water coming into my boat during Dave's heart issues and re-occurences. I just kept calling out to my Lord and those around me did the same.

Mara- I continue to pray for you daily in the storm that you are in. Praying with faith for you and your family.

Love and prayers to all of you in whatever storm you are in, big or small.

message 29: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Cheryl wrote: "Loraine- such true words. I love how music and lyrics just stay with us and help to reinforce things in our minds. So good! I googled the song Loraine and listened to the Univ. Of Virginia sing it-..."

Thank you Cheryl-- and you too!!

message 30: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Mara I am praying for you every day as well.

message 31: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Cheryl wrote: "Loraine- such true words. I love how music and lyrics just stay with us and help to reinforce things in our minds. So good! I googled the song Loraine and listened to the Univ. Of Virginia sing it-..."

Just listened to the UV version and they nailed it!! Our choir director for the gospel fest was a well know Texas gospel singer, and she kept telling us she wanted no "frozen chosen" but rather a huge choir full of "happy clappies!"

message 32: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments Thanks for sharing those Mara & Loraine. (I just had to pop over to YouTube to find those, as I've not heard either before!)

He has never failed me either!

2 things from today:

1 - Jesus was with them in the storm. (Even though they panicked and feared, and did everything they could first before going to Him.)

2 - Mark 4:35 - On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, “Let us cross over to the other side.”
Jesus tells them to go over. They are in His will when the storm comes.

Cheryl wrote: "Love and prayers to all of you in whatever storm you are in, big or small. "
Thanks Cheryl! It's my prayer for all of you too.

Mara wrote: "my faith definitely needs building right now because I've been so fearful."
And Mara, I pray your faith is built up as you and your family weather your fearsome storm! Keeping you in my prayers!

message 33: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Wendy wrote: "Thanks for sharing those Mara & Loraine. (I just had to pop over to YouTube to find those, as I've not heard either before!)

He has never failed me either!

2 things from today:

1 - Jesus was wit..."

Thank you!

message 34: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Mara I am praying for you every day as well."

Great!!! Thank you. How's your husband's toe!

message 35: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

We just got back from the doctor. She said the infection is entirely gone and she wants to see him again in a month.

message 36: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "We just got back from the doctor. She said the infection is entirely gone and she wants to see him again in a month."

Wonderful!

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Loraine wrote: "We just got back from the doctor. She said the infection is entirely gone and she wants to see him again in a month."

Great news Loraine!

message 38: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

We were both sure glad to hear that.

message 39: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Sept 5 - Autumn Splendor

I live in northern Colorado and our trees are just beginning to change colors. In October they will be in their festive fall wear, and all the leaf peepers will show up to aww and oooh over their splendor and take lots of pictures. It is in their death that they are the most beautiful and most noticeable. But it is in their life that they do the job that means life to us. They absorb the carbon dioxide that we do not need and give us the life giving oxygen that we do need. We only seem to really appreciate them in their death, yet it is in their life and rebirth each year that they give us life in return.

There are times in our lives when we too as Sandra said "feel more worn again than born again." When the weight of just our daily lives or those valleys we walk through are wearing us down. That is when we need to turn to God for refreshment and renewal. As the lyrics from the song I gave you yesterday say "He's never failed me yet."

message 40: by Mara (last edited Sep 05, 2018 08:12AM) (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Sept 5 - Autumn Splendor

I live in northern Colorado and our trees are just beginning to change colors. In October they will be in their festive fall wear, and all the leaf peepers will show up to..."

Our trees are just beginning to change as well in Ohio. The kids like to rake them and jump in them! I like how you put leaves' life versus their death. I do appreciate them and their death, and the beauty and splendor. But, as you said, their life brings us oxygen which we need to live. The valleys and when we feel worn out remind us to turn to the Lord, and reminds me of the verse do not be weary in well-doing.
I love this song:
I must tell Jesus all of my trials;
I cannot bear these burdens alone;
In my distress He kindly will help me;
He ever loves and cares for His own.
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
I cannot bear my burdens alone;
I must tell Jesus! I must tell Jesus!
Jesus can help me, Jesus alone.
I must tell Jesus all of my troubles;
He is a kind, compassionate Friend;
If I but ask Him, He will deliver,
And in my griefs with me He will blend.
Tempted and tried I need a great Savior,
One who can help my burdens to bear;
I must tell Jesus, I must tell Jesus;
He all my cares and sorrows will share,
O how the world to evil allures me!
O how my heart is tempted to sin!
I must tell Jesus; He will enable
Over the world the vic’try to win.

message 41: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Olson (girlsmama) | 694 comments Yes we have some wonderful beauty here in the PNW as well. Fall is on its way. I grew up in California so didn’t have a lot of exposure to the season of fall and the visual beauty that it is. Washington has been a fun place for a Calif. girl to live in to get to experience all 4 seasons and I greatly enjoy that. I, like probably all of you, have definitely experienced the feelings of being more “worn again than born again.”
I love the psalms- they truly speak to my soul as David expressed his feelings so beautifully through them and his remedies are our remedies too- always turning our focus off of ourselves and on to our God over and over again until we can truly see Him. It might take a while and persistent training of our minds in His word till we start to notice a change in our heart and in our minds. God’s word is powerful.

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (gr-nancy-a) | 259 comments Tough work week for me .. just caught up on all
your texts. Love all the songs y’all shared .. they encourage me.
God does provide in SO many ways and thanks for reminding me of that. I love how He has created our earth to supply the oxygen and water etc. to sustain us. He provides in big and small ways ....
It is good to turn my eyes on Him. :)

message 43: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 06, 2018 07:30AM) (new)

Sept 6 - Lifter of the Downcast

I so identified with today's devotional. The last 6 years of my life have probably been the toughest for me. I am what my husband calls a cockeyed-optimist, but the past 6 years have truly tested me through downcast times. My husband has been through three major spinal surgeries in the past 6 years: 2012, 2014 and 2016. Plus he has continual back pain from severe spinal osteoarthritis. During this time, due to severe pain, I have had to help him with most of his daily needs. After his third surgery, I spent many nights walking the floor, crying, and calling out to God as every aspect of our lives fell on me. I was utterly downcast. Then I was told I had fibromyalgia which explained why I had been having constant muscle pain. But God had an answer waiting when we were given the opportunity to sell our large home and move to a senior independent living apartment complex. It took so much stress off of me which, in turn, also eased my fibromyalgia pain. Even though my husband fell in 2018 and fractured his pelvis in two places, God has continued to keep my health in check; and the biggest blessing is that the physical therapy my husband received to help him recover from his fractures has helped him get stronger and have less pain. So never doubt that God will work His will in His time for our good. Those downcast times do end whether it be here or in enternity.

message 44: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Sept 7 - Patient Preparation

Sandra describes passive and active waiting in today's devotion. She concludes with the Scripture James 5:7-8. It describes the farmer patiently waiting for the rains to grow his crop. But can he wait passively? NO!!! While he is waiting, he must pull those weeds and water by hand if needed, This is active waiting. If he just sits there waiting for the rains, his crop can be destroyed by weeds, perhaps insects or critters (think of those deer and rabbit sthat love to eat growing crops), or drought. As we wait on God, there are things He expects us to do while we are waiting. Unfortunately, most of us are not patient waiters; but instead we need to be part of patient preparation.

message 45: by Loraine, CFD Momma (last edited Sep 08, 2018 09:00AM) (new)

Sept 8 - A Tender Touch

Touch is one of the senses that conveys caring more than any other sense. I taught for 30 years in elementary before retiring, and then subbed in a small school district for another 7 years. Over those years, I saw many children who craved being touched. Either they were not given that care at home or it had been inappropriate touching. Even some of my bigger than me (I am only 5' 1/2" tall) 5th grade boys would ask if they could have a hug. I tried hard to give hugs, pats on the back, a high five, something at least once every day to every child in the class. We would have hug fest days where each child had to give five other children in the class a hug or pat on the back during the day.

Now I live in a senior independent living complex where many of our residents are widows and widowers. They too crave hugs since they live alone. We have lots of huggers and patters here so that they can get their fill of touch. We have our own chapel here with a pastor and our pastor gives everyone a hug as they exit the service at the end. He too knows that touch is important for everyday life as well.

God gave us the sense of touch because He knew that it was a life giving, joy giving sense that had great power. Bill Gaither said it perfectly when he wrote the lyrics to the hymn: He Touched Me

He touched me, Oh He touched me,
And oh the joy that floods my soul!
Something happened and now I know,
He touched me and made me whole.

Reach out and touch the people in your lives each and every day.

message 46: by Wendy (last edited May 10, 2019 06:20PM) (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 261 comments For me, when reading this, I thought about how when the children fall over and hurt themselves, usually it's their knees, and very often all they need is a little rub on the area, some comforting words, and they are fine. Sometimes it just needs some water on the area to give it a cool down and a clean, and again, they get up and are on their way. But that gentle touch has shown to them that when they hurt, someone cares for them. And we never lose that, do we? When we hurt, all we want is a hug, or a touch on the shoulder, or when we are ill, someone there to care for us, just to know that we aren't alone and someone is there to help carry the burden.

And the Saviour's gentle touch on our soul - the joy, peace and wholeness - it's a very special feeling. That hymn you shared Loraine sums it up perfectly.

message 47: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Oh yes Wendy! Boo boo loving when the littles fall or bump themselves is so special to them. My six year old grandson still wants hugs and loving when he gets a little scratch or bumps himself. I love when he comes running back on his way out the door and says "One more hug Gigi!"

message 48: by Mara (last edited Sep 09, 2018 04:50AM) (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Loraine wrote: "Sept 8 - A Tender Touch

Touch is one of the senses that conveys caring more than any other sense. I taught for 30 years in elementary before retiring, and then subbed in a small school district fo..."

As a foster parent, healthy touch is important. Dr Karyn Purvis was an amazing leader in the area of connectingl with adoptive and foster children. Amazing woman! I haven't had one foster child who doesn't like to be held like a baby while I look into their eyes and sing to them.
I'm sorry about all your husband's surgeries and the physical pain you both go through. I'm happy your senior facility eased your burden some. Love & prayers!

message 49: by Mara (new)

Mara (mara4444) | 49 comments Wendy wrote: "So true, Loraine. I work in a primary school one day a week, mainly in the nursery with 3-4 year olds, but this year am venturing into new territory being with Year 2 (6-7yr olds) in the afternoon ..."

Wendy, good for you. Children are special. Our children services around here, like almost everywhere else, are crazy busy and need foster parents. We need to pray for them. I'm sad that we just had to give up our foster -adoptive license after so many years. But, I have this cancer for a reason. I need to trust Him!

message 50: by Loraine, CFD Momma (new)

Keep trusting Mara. We are all praying for you.

« previous 1 3