The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Group Read Discussions > September 2018 Group Read: Raven Black, by Ann Cleeves

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 9347 comments Mod
Suzy will be on hand to lead the discussion about Ann Cleeves' Raven Black. The cold Shetland climate should be perfect to get you through the final days of the summer heat!!

message 2: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Hi all - thanks for picking Raven Black. I first read it in 2015 and in the subsequent 3+ years have read the remaining books in the series. Ann Cleeves is from England, but was a cook in the Bird Observatory on Fair Isle, Shetland Islands, which figures prominently in one of the subsequent books. She now lives in Northumberland with her husband/kids and also writes the Vera Stanhhope series which is set there. Here's her bio from her website. http://anncleeves.com/bio.html

Both the Vera and the Shetland series have been produced for television. I know some of you have watched the programs based on the Shetland series.

This is the SPOILER-FREE thread, so please post your initial impressions, questions or thoughts about the series and author! Looking forward to seeing what you think. (I will reread this in audio to refresh my memory, although I think I recall quite a bit. We'll see :).

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill I discovered the books after watching the TV series. My wife bought me the first three and I've enjoyed the first two. Excellent series, as is her Vera one.

message 4: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments I started wondering how I found out about this series and was reminded in my review of book two that it was from this great NPR series "Crime in the City" from a few years ago.

Ari Shapiro's interview with Cleeves insightful and fun and I think will not spoil anything. https://www.npr.org/2014/07/08/329520...

message 5: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Hi Suzy:

I am still waiting for my copy.

message 6: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon | 254 comments I'm looking forward to joining in but I'm behind with my reading so not starting for a day or two.

message 7: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Carolyn, I am waiting for my copy of the book, but I am far behind on all my reading, too.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Hi Suzy:

I am still waiting for my copy."

Skye, message me with the tracking number, please.

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments OK

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Believe it or not, there is no tracking number. I will wait until 9 this morning and call B and N.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments There is an order number and an e-mail address, but no tracking number.

message 12: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Believe it or not, there is no tracking number. I will wait until 9 this morning and call B and N."

Good grief.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I know. They open in a few minutes, and I'll contact them by phone.

message 14: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

That seller would not be happy with the feedback I'd give, if I had made the order. :)

message 15: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I spoke with Barnes and Noble just now, they agreed the book should have arrived awhile ago. They will take it from there by contacting the seller. Sigh. At least I know now.

message 16: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I spoke with Barnes and Noble just now, they agreed the book should have arrived awhile ago. They will take it from there by contacting the seller. Sigh. At least I know now."

You might want to consider Amazon for used books in the future.

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments They are higher in price. This book was nearly full priced on all the sites, including ThriftBooks.

message 18: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

hence my first message on the September poll:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 19: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I know. We talked about that in the past. The book was notably higher in price than most.

message 20: by Tom (new)

Tom Mathews | 985 comments Those whose libraries use Overdrive may want to check there. I just checked the audio version of the book out from the San Francisco Public Library. They also have Kindle copies available. The audio version is also available on Hoopla.

message 21: by Lena (new)

Lena Just started the audiobook.

message 22: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 17 comments I have the book on kindle but am really behind in my reading so won’t start this read right away.

message 23: by Angela (new)

Angela I read from my local library's Overdrive webpage. Funny thing was that I have seen the Show Shetland but I forgot that this was from that show. So I read the first chapter and thought wow When did I read this. then duh, I did remember. I have to say that even though I did remember the plot I so enjoyed the ambiance of the book. I learned more Scottish colloquilisms and places.

message 24: by Jen (new)

Jen | 2 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I spoke with Barnes and Noble just now, they agreed the book should have arrived awhile ago. They will take it from there by contacting the seller. Sigh. At least I know now."

You mig..."

Or try bookdepository.com

message 25: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks; I will check this out.

message 26: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 55 comments My copy just arrived. I really enjoy the VERA series on TV and have read a couple of them. This book will be a new series for me.

message 27: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Enjoy, enjoy

message 28: by Lena (last edited Sep 02, 2018 04:57PM) (new)

Lena 18% in. Interesting to see a Perez so far up and yet ingrained. Is the Shetlands part of the Heberides? It’s hard to picture a Scottish island so far up. But there is my favorite episode of Grand Designs featuring the lesbian couple in the Heberides. Gorgeous scenery.

message 29: by Angela (new)

Angela The Hebrides is on the western side of Scotland while Shetland is way north on the eastern side. OH my family are Caudill and we belong to the Campbell of Calder-Cowder Clan and the name comes from the Spanish Armada like Perez does. Caudill is Caudillo which means Captain in Spanish. At least that is the rumor in my family history

message 30: by Lena (new)

Lena Angela wrote: "The Hebrides is on the western side of Scotland while Shetland is way north on the eastern side. OH my family are Caudill and we belong to the Campbell of Calder-Cowder Clan and the name comes from..."

Thanks!

I’m 34% in and they discussed Perez being from the Spanish Armada. There’s a pointed emphasis on male heirs, as if women, or anyone, couldn’t name themselves. It’s about $200 and paperwork.

message 31: by Myrthe (new)

Myrthe (myrthekorf) I have the book ready but need to finish two library books first. Looking forward to reading it. I've watched the Shetland series and really liked it, so this was a good reason to start reading the books.

message 32: by Lena (last edited Sep 03, 2018 07:37AM) (new)

Lena 62%. Fastest, least satisfying sex scene. I had to go back and reread those paragraphs. The word Later was used.

Later, a one word sex scene.

That’s faster than Elaine’s yada yada on Seinfeld.

message 33: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
I read this with an in person book group a number of years ago and as I remember it, it was a hit with the group - a group of die hard mystery lovers. Needless to say I was very excited to see the TV version and that too was very well done, keeping closely to the original.

message 34: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments The seller contacted me and said they had sent my book awhile ago and suggested things that could have occurred. Anything is possible, but I did write them last week and they never responded until B and N contacted them. I asked for a book to be rushed immediately or for a refund.

message 35: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Bill wrote: "I discovered the books after watching the TV series. My wife bought me the first three and I've enjoyed the first two. Excellent series, as is her Vera one."

Great review, Bill and this is Off Topic, but where is your blurb about next month's nominations

message 36: by Angela (new)

Angela Lena wrote: "62%. Fastest, least satisfying sex scene. I had to go back and reread those paragraphs. The word Later was used.

That’s faster than Elaine’s yada yada on Seinfeld."

Lena wrote: "62%. Fastest, least satisfying sex scene. I had to go back and reread those paragraphs. The word Later was used.

That’s faster than Elaine’s yada yada on Seinfeld."

hahaha I tend to skim sex scenes. I really an not interested in the pumping and thrashing and A goes here

message 37: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Hi all - The Shetland Islands are an archipelago north and east of Scotland - in between Great Britain and Norway. Norway and its relationship to the Shetlands figures big in one of the later books in this series. And if I recall, each book is set on a different one of the islands in the archipelago. I've loved learning about the area. (I have two friends who have been there on a knitting vacation.)

Ann Cleeves has written a beautiful "coffee-table book" of text and wonderful photographs. I feel lucky my library had it - highly recommended if you can get your hands on it! Shetland

message 38: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (goodreadscomsuzy_hillard) | 663 comments Also for those who have mentioned you're not going to start this right away, no rush! We have the whole month. :)

And if you missed the link I posted above to the interview with Cleeves about her Shetland Island series, it is really worth the 7-minute listen. https://www.npr.org/2014/07/08/329520...

message 39: by Bill (new)

Bill Skye wrote: "Bill wrote: "I discovered the books after watching the TV series. My wife bought me the first three and I've enjoyed the first two. Excellent series, as is her Vera one."

Great review, Bill and th..."

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 40: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Bill; I did manage to find it...WOW, difficult to find those names.

message 41: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Suzy wrote: "Also for those who have mentioned you're not going to start this right away, no rush! We have the whole month. :)

And if you missed the link I posted above to the interview with Cleeves about her ..."

That's good news, Suzy.

message 42: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1485 comments I just started this morning

message 43: by Lena (new)

Lena Suzy I’m going to the library today and asking for that book. It’s such a dramatic setting but I feel the author isn’t expressing that in the story.

message 44: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 368 comments I really hate to say this, but this is one of those rare series of books (although not bad at all) where the TV series is better than the books. Although in this case the book was better as the TV cut out quite a lot of important stuff out about the relationship between the people involved.

For me the actress who plays Vera is just one of the greats of current TV acting.

message 45: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 17 comments I started the book last night. It reads very well for me and am excited to read a new author. Haven’t watched the series yet. Will wait until I finish this book.
Am way behind in my reading but have put the other two books aside to get this one finished.

message 46: by Lena (new)

Lena The audiobook and the ebook are not lining up and it’s driving me crazy.

message 47: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I contacted Barnes and Noble, again, and they will step in for me, again. I checked out all the other book dealer sites, and the book is much higher; I already paid for this one, so I can't invest in another, higher- priced copy.

message 48: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "I contacted Barnes and Noble, again, and they will step in for me, again. I checked out all the other book dealer sites, and the book is much higher; I already paid for this one, so I can't invest ..."

send me your address.

message 49: by Lena (new)

Lena Finished. That was ok.
Review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 50: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments You much have loved it.

« previous 1 3

The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Raven Black (other topics)
Shetland (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ann Cleeves (other topics)