Roger Zelazny discussion

Short Stories > Poetry

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Roger Zelazny wanted to be a poet, but decided early in his career that he couldn't make a living at it, so decided to write fiction instead.

I've never cared much for poetry & really don't get most of his. The poems I do get, I don't care for much. Is anyone here into his poetry? Do you care to post any of it & explain it? I feel that it's probably my failing.

message 2: by Casey (new)

Casey | 25 comments I have never been much into poetry, so I don't have a lot of practice with it so I too struggle with really getting it. Though I can see in his writing aspects of it with some of his descriptions.

I do have a copy of _To Spin is Miracle Cat_, at least I think that's the one I've got.

message 3: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's a pricey book now & about impossible to find, although from what I read in the Collected Works, you'd be better off reading the poems there. Less typos.

message 4: by Casey (new)

Casey | 25 comments It was around $50 when I got it. It was a signed/limited thing that a used bookstore near my home had and I was poor. My grandmother used to give me $50 for Christmas so I was just hoping it would still be there. I checked about a week before and it was... go back a the day after and it is GONE!

My friend from HS was playing a prank of me. His b-day is a few weeks before and mine a few weeks after so we get each other one gift and give it anywhere around there. He didn't make me wait until my b-day but it was quite the prank since he knew what a Zelazny fan I am.

I have been through the NESFA Collection. Alas, even with fewer typographical errors, I'm afraid I am just not that much into poetry. I even picked up _Leaves of Grass_ because of _Roadmarks_ and it took me years to get through it. C'est la vie.

message 5: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments That's an awesome story & I'd treasure the book too, typos & all. I agree, I'm not a poetry buff.

I tried reading Leaves of Grass several times because it meant so much to my grandfather. Walt Whitman founded the Long Islander, the newspaper that my grandfather wound up becoming an owner & the editor of. He had over a dozen copies in various editions. Mom rescued an old inkstand from the basement that was supposed to be his & that's when & where my parents met - cleaning that basement. Anyway, with all that history I thought I'd have to at least like it. Some was OK, but I never got through it all.