Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Erikson and Esslemont - Malazan > BotF Ten biggest oh shit moments (open spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
1. Because it was really the first one the reveal that Kellanved and Dancer were Shadowthrone and Cotillion.

2. Itkovian taking the pain of the T'lan Imass, their falling to their knees and Silverfox's horror.

3. Rake killing Hood and then Rake letting Daseem kill him.

4. Brys taking apart Rhulad, Trull shooting Brys and then the Guardian killing Rhulad as a "mercy".

5. Hood meeting Beak and Toc at the gates and the gates being different for each. Such a touching moment.

6. Hood tearing the head off of Equity and saying, I never liked the Forkrul Assail much. Note if you read Kharkanas you'll get this more.

7. Coltaine's death and the mages trying to trap his spirit.

8. The final scene with Stormy, Gesler, Bent and Roach.

9. The horror Leoman's betrayal at Y'Ghatan.

10. WhiskeyJack's death. This would be higher in a top ten saddest moments but I thought this a possibility due to all the leg references.

message 2: by Graeme (last edited Sep 23, 2018 08:11PM) (new)

Graeme Rodaughan Trull shot (speared?) the sorceror... Kuru Qan.

message 3: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Graeme wrote: "Trull shot (speared?) the sorceror... Kuru Qan."

Dude get out of threads like this until you're done with the series!!!!! :)

message 4: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
So many moments.

This one for me still stays in my mind. I think because I spent the whole book with a sense of dread. You know something terrible is going to happen as Coltaine and his force are continually harassed trying to save the refugees.

message 5: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (last edited Sep 26, 2018 01:39PM) (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
So many moments.

This one for me still stays in my mind. I think because I spent the whole book with a sense of dread. You know something terrible is going to happen as Coltaine and his force are continually harassed trying to save the refugees. A small part of you keeps hoping it's all going to be okay.

5. Hood meeting Beak and Toc at the gates and the gates being different for each. Such a touching moment.

This one. How did SE make us care for a character that we only knew in one book? With the large cast of characters, it so extraordinary how this moment impacted on us.

8. The final scene with Stormy, Gesler, Bent and Roach.

This scene. Especially that moment when Bent revealed to us that Gesler was his master :-(.

3. Rake killing Hood and then Rake letting Daseem kill him.

I could not believe this one. I still can't.

I'll need to think of my list of ten. All of your ones are such amazing moments Scott. I agree with you, Whiskeyjacks death didn't impact me as much as I thought it would. I felt it was more poignant with Korlat how she had found love for such a brief time, given how long-lived she is, only to have it taken away just as quickly.

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Great list, Scott!

I'd add Icarium standing at Mappo's grave, saying 'He died defending me. But I don't know who he was.'
I read that, put the book down and started crying like a baby.

Rake killing Hood was the biggest omg moment in the series for me. One does not simply kill the lord of the dead, right?
Also that sacrifice in Dragnipur and Draconus reaction really got me.

message 7: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Bea wrote: "Great list, Scott!

I'd add Icarium standing at Mappo's grave, saying 'He died defending me. But I don't know who he was.'
I read that, put the book down and started crying like a baby.

Rake killi..."

That Mappo scene, definitely. Apparently one does just kill the lord of death. :p

message 8: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Angela wrote: "This one for me still stays in my mind. I think because I spent the whole book with a sense of dread. You know something terrible is going to happen as Coltaine and his force are continually harassed trying to save the refugees. A small part of you keeps hoping it's all going to be okay.

This one. How did SE make us care for a character that we only knew in one book? With the large cast of characters, it so extraordinary how this moment impacted on us.
..."

Beak for the amount of screen time was amazing how much that took out of me. In a similar vein Greyfrog "Dismay. I hop no more." I couldn't believe how must I felt for a demon.

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "In a similar vein Greyfrog "Dismay. I hop no more." I couldn't believe how must I felt for a demon. "

Yes, Greyfrog!! One of my favorite side characters.

message 10: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "Apparently one does just kill the lord of death. :p "

One does not simply kill the lord of death (except one is Anomander Rake) ;)

message 11: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

Bea wrote: "Scott wrote: "Apparently one does just kill the lord of death. :p "

One does not simply kill the lord of death (except one is Anomander Rake) ;)"

I guess one needs his/her own atmosphere for tasks such as this. :)

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Scott wrote: "Bea wrote: "Scott wrote: "Apparently one does just kill the lord of death. :p "

One does not simply kill the lord of death (except one is Anomander Rake) ;)"

I guess one needs his/her own atmosph..."

And a magical sword that can kill gods. :)

message 13: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

While not top ten this moment in TBH was one we were all waiting for.

This leader was the Iron Prophet, King Iskar Jarak, and the Anibar heeded his words, and so fled, west and north, until these lands here and the forests and lakes beyond, became their home.

‘Boatfinder, tell me, from the frozen time into the flowing time, is there a bridge?’

His smile was wistful, filled with longing. ‘There is.’

‘But you cannot cross it.’

‘No.’

‘Because it’s burning.’

‘Yes, witch, the bridge burns.’

King Iskar Jarak, and the unfound kingdom…

message 14: by Andorion (new)

Andorion (ruineleint) To add to this -

Reaper's Gale - Yan Tovis

“We left a debt in blood,’ she said, baring her teeth. ‘Malazan blood. And it seems they will not let that stand.’
They are here. On this shore.
The Malazans are on our shore.”

Dust of Dreams

"From the swirling miasma a figure emerged, first one boot then the other crunching down on desiccated flesh, hide and bone, striding out from the rent, footfalls heavy as stone.
The darkness seethed, pulsed. The figure paused, held out a gauntleted left hand.
Lightning spanned the blackness, a thousand crashing drums. The air itself howled, and the darkness streamed down. Withered husks that had once been living things spun upright as if reborn, only to pull free of the ground and whirl skyward like rotted autumn leaves.
Shrieking wind, torn banners of darkness spiralling inward, wrapping, twisting, binding. Cold air rushed in like floodwaters through a crumbling dam, and all it swept through burst into dust that roiled wild in its wake.
Hammering concussions shook the hills, sheared away slopes leaving raw cliffs, boulders tumbling and pitching through the remnants of carnage. And still the darkness streamed down, converging, coalescing into an elongated sliver forming at the end of the figure’s outstretched hand.
A final report, loud as the snapping of a dragon’s spine, and then sudden silence.
A sword, bleeding darkness, dripping cold.
Overhead, late afternoon sunlight burned the sky.
He slowly scanned the ground, even as desiccated fragments of hide and flesh began raining from the heavens, and then he stepped forward, bending down to retrieve a battered scabbard. He slid the sword home.
A sultry wind swept down the length of the valley, gathering streamers of steam.
He stood for a time, studying the scene on all sides.
‘Ah, my love. Forgive me.’
He set out, boots crunching on the dead.
Returned to the world.
Draconus."

message 15: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (last edited Nov 21, 2018 05:30AM) (new)

Arkadeb wrote: "“We left a debt in blood,’ she said, baring her teeth. ‘Malazan blood. And it seems they will not let that stand.’
They are here. On this shore.
The Malazans are on our shore.”"

That was an amazing moment. Also the first time through I had had enough of the Letherii, Edur and Awl so I was so psyched for the Malazans to be there.

Draconus's return was just pure prose bliss.

message 16: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new)

I didn't realize just how good this was until my reread of the Bonehunters.

The two quotes are from different chapters. One you're through chapter 18 you can read this and see poetically just how brilliant SE is and how he loves the long game.

‘When I was a child,’ Apsalar said, ‘I believed that there were cities there, but no wars. Just beautiful gardens, and the flowers were ever in bloom, every season, day and night, filling the air with wondrous scents… you know, I told all of that to someone, once. He later said to me that he fell in love with me that night. With that story. He was young, you see.’

And the god spoke, ‘I’ll find him, Apsalar. I swear it. I’ll find the truth.’ Truths, yes. One after another, one boulder settling down, then another. And another. Blotting out the light, darkness closing in, grit and sand sifting down, a solid silence when the last one is in place. Now, dear fool, try drawing a breath. A single breath. There were clouds closed fast round the moon. And one by one, gardens died.

Talk about playing the long game. 5 books later another meaning for the name Gardens of the Moon.