Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts discussion

Lady Audley's Secret
This topic is about Lady Audley's Secret
Lady Audley's Secret > Lady Audley's Secret Volume 2 (No Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlene (last edited Sep 05, 2018 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Charlene Morris | 1278 comments Mod
This is the discussion topic for Volume 2 which is the second part of Lady Audley's Secret .

Oxford Classics: Chapters 1 to 23.
Penguin edition. volume 2 chapters 1-13
In the 42 chapter version: Chapters 20 to 32

Please no spoilers (use spoiler html if necessary). There will be a separate thread for entire book with spoilers.

spoiler html= <**spoiler**> (if using don't include the **)

I can't believe that Lady Audley talked Sir Michael into kicking Robert out within an hour. That is enough to raise Robert's suspicions.

message 3: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

☯Emily  Ginder | 1241 comments Mod
In my edition, I have completed chapter 23, titled, "Coming to a Standstill." This is the chapter where Robert encounters Mr. Harcourt Talboys. There are several references to Junius Brutus. Who is Junius Brutus? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucius_... and https://www.thoughtco.com/lucius-juni....

☯Emily wrote: "In my edition, I have completed chapter 23, titled, "Coming to a Standstill." This is the chapter where Robert encounters Mr. Harcourt Talboys. There are several references to Junius Brutus. Who is..."

Thank you for the information. I just read that part last night.

Clara certainly caused a turning point in the novel. I wonder if she will take in little Georgey.

Last chapter title for my edition is "Phoebe's Petition".

Kathleen | 224 comments I just finished "Phoebe's Petition." I know I'm running behind on this read, but hope to finish by the end of the month.

I agree Clara changed things. There's something about her though--I get the feeling more mystery will be revealed about her …?

Robert sure seems to be trying to convince himself that all women can't be trusted, even Alicia. But those two are being set up as the ones deserving of some kind of a happy ending. We shall see!

message 8: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

I had to laugh in chapter 25, George's Letters, when he leaves Clara. First he thinks, "I accept the dominion of that pale girl, with the statuesque features and the calm brown eyes. " He says he yields to it and bows down to it. It sounds like he is smitten.

Then two pages later, he thinks savagely, "I hate women. They are bold, brazen, abominable creatures, invented for the annoyance and destruction of their superiors."

Then he gets a letter from Clara and before he opens it, he says, "...she's the kind who would write a long letter, etc." Then he opens the envelope there is a short note of nine words!

message 9: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't yet finished this section, but Robert's investigation are exciting reading.

Kathleen | 224 comments So funny about the letter!

I agree this is exciting reading. I'm enjoying it much more than The Woman in White.

message 11: by Viv (new) - rated it 4 stars

Viv JM | 81 comments I am way behind schedule and just finished this section. I don't fancy Luke's chances of not being burnt in his bed before the story is out...!

I find it interesting that Lady Audley's child-like appearance and demeanour is so frequently noted, I guess to emphasise the chasm between her innocent appearance and the darkness that lurks within her.

message 12: by ☯Emily , The First (new) - rated it 4 stars

So true. Many people think that an innocent look, blonde hair, gorgeous curls mean that a person is incapable of terrible evil.

I am leery of the author's description of everyone (Robert is lazy, Lady Audley is soft and innocent) because she seems to be playing to stereotypes prevalent at the time.

Women's Classic Literature Enthusiasts

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Woman in White (other topics)