The Devil All the Time The Devil All the Time question

Recommendations
Palmer Palmer Aug 31, 2018 06:52AM
Hey everybody! I'm fairly new to Goodreads and Southern Gothic literature in general. I was hoping I could get a few suggestions. I recently finished The Devil All The Time By Donald Ray Pollock. Absolutely terrifying and amazing. It might just be my favorite book. I have also started O'Connor's short story collection. I've found quite a lot of similar writers, but none are quite scratching that itch of the grotesque, macabre, and violent. All beautifully written of course 😉

Hello Palmer. I am a fan of southern Gothic literature as well. Some of the artist you should read are Flannery O Connor, Cormac McCarthy, William Faulkner, Edgar Allen Poe. Feel free to check out;
1. William Faulkner- Sanctuary
2. Cormac McCarthy- Child Of God
3. Cormac McCarthy- Suttree
4. Flannery O Connor- Wiseblood
5. Flannery O Connor- A Good Man Is Hard To Find
6. William Gray- Provinces Of Night
7. William Faulkner- As I lay dying
8.William Faulkner- Absalom, Absalom

I highly recommend Will Christopher Baer and his "trilogy" Kiss Me Judas, Penny Dreadful, and Hell's Half Acre. Craig Clevenger has a couple of "noir" novels. Check out Chuck Palahniuk's website for a nice list of noir/southern gothic type novels. I told Don he needed to do something similar on his website but he won't even join Twitter. lol