Goodreads Developers discussion

Search Books Within Genre

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jakub (last edited Aug 31, 2018 06:46AM) (new)

Jakub Hello,

can somebody explain me how can I search books by title or author within certain genre ? Like I would like to search all the fantasy books which have in title word fire. Can you give me url as example. Sorry if this is dumb question, but I am not able to figure this out.

Please I really need to know this. :(

message 2: by Jay (new)

Jay Moskowitz (chiefwizard) | 7 comments This is something that has been asked several times before in different ways. Goodreads does not track the genre associated with a book. Instead, people have created book shelves that other people have added books to of the same genre as associated with the shelf they created. But you will only find the books that have been contributed to that shelf, not every book in Goodreads that would be associated with that Genre. Unfortunately, as was suggested in an associated post, you would need to look up every book in their database and then look that book up in Amazon Books perhaps, as they do list a genre at their site. Have not found any better way than that. Although with the storage time limitations and transactions per second limitations, it will be pretty much impossible to accomplish such a task within those limits.

message 3: by Jakub (last edited Sep 02, 2018 12:53AM) (new)

Jakub Do you know by any chance some other API in which I would be able to do such search ? And thanks for the response :)

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay Moskowitz (chiefwizard) | 7 comments Amazon might offer something through AWS to examine its book database which has genre information. You may wish to take a look there. If you do find there is something available that might achieve what you are looking for, post it here as several people have been interested in genre searching.

message 5: by Jakub (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Jakub I wanted to use Amazon Product Advertising API, but unfortunately it is not that easy to get access to it these days. Because you need to generate at least 3 sales for them and then they will review your sites. If you fulfill all the requirements they will provide you with API key. Yeah, but I am just starting out coding my second website right now, so I don't think I will get access to that API any time soon :/

I also tried to use open library API: https://openlibrary.org/developers/api. There you can search by genre ! But there are other issues for example you don't get images for book covers right away. You need to query book cover for each book which is in my opinion very ineffective. Also I was not able to access description for the books. So well for now I just have to use goodreads API