Redstreak Readers discussion

Social Justice > What book did you read that is about social justice?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Gil (mrsdanigil) | 41 comments Mod
At minimum include the title, author, and a yes/no recommendation. Feel free to write more to give your classmates a better sense of the novel. :)

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
YES!!!
I haven't quite finished the book yet, but it is about three women during the Holocaust. The women are each from different places and experience the war differently. One is a German doctor at a concentration camp, one is a Polish girl arrested for being part of the underground group working against the Nazis in Polland, and one is a New York socialite working to help the French citizens displaced during the war. I love that the book shows the war from different sides not previously explored in many books about the time.

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Kelley | 14 comments I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai. I definitely would recommend this book. This book is the story of a young girl that lived in Pakistan who wanted to have a full education but in her country it was rare for women to go to school, so she had to consistently fight for her right to an education and got shot because of it.

message 4: by Danielle (new)

The 57 Bus by Dashka Slater

I would recommend! It's written by a journalist who pieces together two sides of a hate crime. The book reminds us that there is often more to a story than what we read in the newspapers and see on TV. This one definitely leaves you with conflicting feelings.

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma D'Amico | 5 comments Just finished The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, it was an interesting read