Redstreak Readers discussion

From a Different Time Period > What book did you read that is set in a different time period?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Gil (mrsdanigil) | 41 comments Mod
At minimum include the title, author, and a yes/no recommendation. Feel free to write more to give your classmates a better sense of the novel. :)

message 2: by Danielle (new)

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly
YES!!!
I haven't quite finished the book yet, but it is about three women during the Holocaust. The women are each from different places and experience the war differently. One is a German doctor at a concentration camp, one is a Polish girl arrested for being part of the underground group working against the Nazis in Polland, and one is a New York socialite working to help the French citizens displaced during the war. I love that the book shows the war from different sides not previously explored in many books about the time.

message 3: by Danielle (new)

Refugees by Alan Gratz
Yes!!

Refugees is a pretty easy and quick read. It actually takes place in three different time periods, which is really cool. The novel switches point of view between a girl fleeing Castro in Cuba during 1994, a boy fleeing the Nazis in Germany during 1938 and a boy fleeing conflicts in Syria in 2015. As each story progresses, the years go by and eventually, all of the lives are woven together showing that the world and time aren't really as distant and separate as they seem.

message 4: by Tyler (new)

Tyler (Eozost) | 6 comments Scythe By Neal Shusterman is set in a future where death and disease have been dealt with and technology can make people younger Highly Recommend

message 5: by Tylercreech (new)

Tylercreech | 6 comments Scythe by Neal Shusterman is a book i highly recomend for this cadogory

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Kelley | 14 comments The Devil in White City by Eric Larson. Highly recommend for this or the nonfiction catagory, this is also in the making to become a movie. It is about the world fair in Chicago and a serial killer that uses it to lure in his victims.

message 7: by Lizzy (new)

Lizzy Gragg | 5 comments I read Matched by Ally Condie. It is set in the future in a society that is "perfect". When an important character realizes their is more outside of the cities she has lived in her whole life, all while she is falling in love with someone she isn't aloud to love. This book is very active and will keep you on your toes the whole time. I loved it, 10/10 recommend. :)

message 8: by Danielle (new)

Abigail wrote: "The Devil in White City by Eric Larson. Highly recommend for this or the nonfiction catagory, this is also in the making to become a movie. It is about the world fair in Chicago and a serial killer..."

This sounds very interesting!!

message 9: by Caliann (new)

Caliann Owens | 6 comments I read American Ulysses by Ronald C. White. The author goes very in depth with Grant's life. If you are into biographies, you may enjoy it. However, it is not an easy read.

message 10: by Emma (new)

Emma D'Amico | 5 comments Mindy McGinnis’ A Madness So Discreet
this is easily one of my favorite books. i highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys dramatic books