The Post Card Exchange discussion

Goodreads Giveaways: Any Winners Here?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bardbooks (new)

Bardbooks | 295 comments Mod
What's your experience with GR book giveaways?
I enter often, but never win!
If you're a lot luckier, which books did you receive?

message 2: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 91 comments I won once. It was a kindle book and there were 100 winners. I enter often as well and have never won a physical book.

message 3: by Nicki (new)

Nicki White (shealwaysreads) I have won over 75 physical book and at least 20 ebooks since I’ve had Goodreads. A few I have not received but the majority I have received.

message 4: by Jazzy (last edited Aug 31, 2018 06:10AM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I have won 2 books (a hardcover and a paperback) over the past few years - both in October, my birthday month - last year! It took nearly 6 months to get one of the books. (I kept asking and asking about it).

message 5: by Bardbooks (new)

Jazzy wrote: "I have won 2 books (a hardcover and a paperback) over the past few years - both in October, my birthday month - last year! It took nearly 6 months to get one of the books. (I kept asking and asking..."

Nice birthday coincidence!

message 6: by Bardbooks (new)

She Always Reads wrote: "I have won over 75 physical book and at least 20 ebooks since I’ve had Goodreads. A few I have not received but the majority I have received."

Wow! All in the last year?

message 7: by Bardbooks (new)

Kristina wrote: "I won once. It was a kindle book and there were 100 winners. I enter often as well and have never won a physical book."

It's a mystery, wrapped up in a conundrum ;)

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 342 comments I go through spurts. I win nothing for long time then win lots all at once. Ha! I have found several new authors this way.

message 9: by Bardbooks (new)

Betsy wrote: "I go through spurts. I win nothing for long time then win lots all at once. Ha! I have found several new authors this way."

That's encouraging news. Thanks!

message 10: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Yes but there will be no more giveaways for the whole world, only except for the U.S.A. now so we will have no more chances. :'(

message 11: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (catitude) | 9 comments Jazzy wrote: "Yes but there will be no more giveaways for the whole world, only except for the U.S.A. now so we will have no more chances. :'("

Jazzy, I didn't know this. When did they announce this change?

message 12: by Bardbooks (new)

I checked for news about the Goodreads giveaway program and discovered this paragraph (full article link included below). NOTE THE LAST SENTENCE:

Now, Goodreads is aiming to monetize the feature. The site is introducing two tiers for giveaways: a “standard” package, which will cost authors $119 to give away up to 100 copies; and a “premium” package, which will cost $599, but gives the author an “exclusive placement” on its Giveaways page. That’s only for a single giveaway campaign, however; if you’re marketing two books, you’ll have to pay again. (Goodreads is offering some introductory pricing: between January 9th and 31st, standard packages will be $59, while the premium tier will be $299.) It’ll also only be open to users who are US residents.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/29/1...

message 13: by Bardbooks (new)

Cathie wrote: "Jazzy wrote: "Yes but there will be no more giveaways for the whole world, only except for the U.S.A. now so we will have no more chances. :'("

Jazzy, I didn't know this. When did they announce th..."

Cathie, looks like last November. I've posted a link below for more information.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol_humboldt) | 90 comments The last book I won was excellent. The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row (I've won two, and the first was so-so.)

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany PSquared (tiffanypsquared) | 50 comments I have entered so many times for almost every genre of book, but I have never won a single thing. Ever.

message 16: by Bardbooks (new)

Carol wrote: "The last book I won was excellent. The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row (I've won two, and the first was so-so.)"

That's encouraging!

message 17: by Bardbooks (new)

Tiffany wrote: "I have entered so many times for almost every genre of book, but I have never won a single thing. Ever."

Glad to learn that I'm in good company :) Perhaps this will be our year to win?

message 18: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Bardbooks wrote: "I checked for news about the Goodreads giveaway program and discovered this paragraph (full article link included below). NOTE THE LAST SENTENCE:

Now, Goodreads is aiming to monetize the feature. ..."

I will stop buying from Amazon again, done it before but got lazy. Their greed and selfishness make me feel ill.

message 19: by Bardbooks (new)

Amazon ... now, there's a bucket of worms.

message 20: by Maryellie (new)

Maryellie | 15 comments I won 3 books this summer and am waiting for another one. Maybe reviewing them helps.

message 21: by Bardbooks (new)

Maryellie wrote: "I won 3 books this summer and am waiting for another one. Maybe reviewing them helps."

Three! Congrats! I always assumed these were random draws. It makes sense that authors want to be sure their giveaways are reviewed -- does anyone have additional insight on how winners are selected?

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 342 comments I assumed they were randomly drawn too.

I have won 6 this summer. On a roll.

message 23: by Bardbooks (new)

Betsy wrote: "I assumed they were randomly drawn too.

I have won 6 this summer. On a roll."

Wow! If you don't mind answering, what's your best guess on the number of giveaways you entered this summer?

message 24: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 342 comments Bardbooks wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I assumed they were randomly drawn too.

Wow! If you don't mind answering, what's your best guess on the number of giveaways you entered this s..."

Maybe 50. I usually stick with the same genres -- mystery, suspense, and thriller.

message 25: by Maryellie (new)

Maryellie | 15 comments Every Sunday night I to Goodreads giveaways and check out the different genres, mostly mystery, thriller, travel, sci-fi and enter. Have noticed that there are more and more amazon kindles but I like books.

message 26: by Bardbooks (new)

Betsy wrote: "Bardbooks wrote: "Betsy wrote: "I assumed they were randomly drawn too.

Wow! If you don't mind answering, what's your best guess on the number of giveaways ..."

Thanks! That's really encouraging.

message 27: by Bardbooks (new)

Maryellie wrote: "Every Sunday night I to Goodreads giveaways and check out the different genres, mostly mystery, thriller, travel, sci-fi and enter. Have noticed that there are more and more amazon kindles but I li..."

Those are my favorite genres, too. I also prefer real books!

message 28: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 342 comments I used to enter only print books. I have expanded to kindle ones. Of the 6 of the summer wins, 1 is a print book. I have won print books more in the past.

message 29: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 226 comments I've won a few. I don't sign up for a lot anymore though.

message 30: by Bardbooks (new)

Betsy wrote: "I used to enter only print books. I have expanded to kindle ones. Of the 6 of the summer wins, 1 is a print book. I have won print books more in the past."

Six summer wins! Nice! Definitely seeing an e-book trend here.

message 31: by Bardbooks (new)

Latasha wrote: "I've won a few. I don't sign up for a lot anymore though."

That's good to hear -- it does take time to slog through all the titles, see what's interesting.

message 32: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 226 comments Yes, it does sometimes.

message 33: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I have won 7 times total. 4 of them were print books and 3 kindle. Now I only enter into giveways I already have on my TBR shelf. I get an email when something on TBR has a giveaway.
I think I win more when I have reviewed the ones I received because I won a new one by an author that I had just reviewed one from.

message 34: by Bardbooks (new)

Vicki Willis wrote: "I have won 7 times total. 4 of them were print books and 3 kindle. Now I only enter into giveways I already have on my TBR shelf. I get an email when something on TBR has a giveaway.
I think I wi..."

Good reminder for everyone about TBR/giveaway emails. It's great to see the number of wins in our group!

message 35: by Jade (new)

Jade Turnbull-Allen | 6 comments I was a member a few years back. I used to win fairly regularly. Print books as I didn't have a kindle then. Gutted that I won't be able to enter now! Debating trying to find a book exchange group for a different way of books in the mail!

message 36: by Bardbooks (new)

Jade wrote: "I was a member a few years back. I used to win fairly regularly. Print books as I didn't have a kindle then. Gutted that I won't be able to enter now! Debating trying to find a book exchange group ..."

Hope you find that book exchange!

message 37: by dianne (new)

dianne  | 32 comments i have won many - well over 20. i do think they select people who write reviews - both reviews in general and reviews of books they have won.
Now i only enter for books i really am interested in winning and wanted to read anyway.
i am living in Uruguay, but still have a USA mailbox for legal reasons so i can use that address to enter.
i can't read on-line books (they don't smell right!) but why on earth would it matter - for Kindle books - what country we are in???

message 38: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) I’ve won ~25 but I was entering them daily. Now, I mostly only enter ones that I get an email notification for (ones on my TBR). I don’t have time to read them all, plus ones I’m already reading, so I quit entering so many. I’ve won a lot of books from Facebook giveaways also.

message 39: by Bardbooks (new)

Pam wrote: "I’ve won ~25 but I was entering them daily. Now, I mostly only enter ones that I get an email notification for (ones on my TBR). I don’t have time to read them all, plus ones I’m already reading, s..."

That's fantabulous!!! ;-) Do you write reviews for most of the books you read?

message 40: by Bardbooks (new)

dianne wrote: "i have won many - well over 20. i do think they select people who write reviews - both reviews in general and reviews of books they have won.
Now i only enter for books i really am interested in wi..."

You make an excellent point about Kindle books. Those should be available worldwide in giveaways.

"they don't smell right!" FUNNY!

message 41: by Grasshopper (last edited Sep 20, 2018 09:38AM) (new)

Grasshopper Bot (daisyking) Best argument against Kindle that I've heard yet.

message 42: by Bardbooks (new)

Daisy wrote: "Best argument against Kindle that I've heard yet."

:-)

message 43: by Keirstin (new)

CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin (cloudofthoughtsxo) | 4 comments I win weekly! The advice I had given to me when I first started was, you can’t win what you don’t enter. I used to get kind of frustrated with it, but once I set up my kindle address and started truly entering (daily) I started to win. I have a shelf in my library for goodreads hard copies, and another on my kindle. Kindle versions are easier to win IMO and it’s usually 100 copy giveaways. But it is possible for the hard copies too! I entered 5 giveaways yesterday and won a hard copy of The Perfect Liar today! Don’t give up!

message 44: by Keirstin (new)

CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin (cloudofthoughtsxo) | 4 comments And I agree with writing reviews! They say randomly picked but I’ve noticed if I keep up with reviews, I win more. Best advice though, don’t give up!

message 45: by Bardbooks (new)

Keirstin wrote: "I win weekly! The advice I had given to me when I first started was, you can’t win what you don’t enter. I used to get kind of frustrated with it, but once I set up my kindle address and started tr..."

Thanks, Keirstin! Great insights. Could you please expand on setting up a Kindle address?

message 46: by Pam (new)

Pam (bluegrasspam) Bardbooks - I always write reviews for books that I win! I feel like that is keeping with the spirit of the giveaway. But, I don’t write them for all books I read.

message 47: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 342 comments Keirstin wrote: "And I agree with writing reviews! They say randomly picked but I’ve noticed if I keep up with reviews, I win more. Best advice though, don’t give up!"

I think you must be correct. I have been writing reviews more this year and winning more. Interesting.

message 48: by Bardbooks (new)

Betsy wrote: "Keirstin wrote: "And I agree with writing reviews! They say randomly picked but I’ve noticed if I keep up with reviews, I win more. Best advice though, don’t give up!"

I think you must be correct...."

More anecdotal evidence that the giveaways are not really random drawings, but rewards for GR members who write reviews. From the author's perspective (or her marketing team), this makes sense. Has anyone seen any fine print in the rules, either way?

message 49: by Bardbooks (new)

Pam wrote: "Bardbooks - I always write reviews for books that I win! I feel like that is keeping with the spirit of the giveaway. But, I don’t write them for all books I read."

Yes, that seems a fair exchange and I'm sure that most of us would gladly post a review if we won a book!

message 50: by Bardbooks (new)

Trisha wrote: "I have entered a handful of giveaway doohickies...haven't won one yet... dang it.
I think I am going to use it to hopefully open the horizon to me on different types of books I haven't read yet. W..."

We're seeing a pattern here of winners who write reviews.

« previous 1