Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense discussion

The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1)
This topic is about The Ice Princess
Archives > September -Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Ice Princess

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Mystery lover! (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phrynne | 3952 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Ice Princess (Patrik Hedström, #1) by Camilla Läckberg The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg

Kerri_M | 698 comments Have just finished The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg.

For the second time... it was a re-read for me. And it broke my self imposed rule of no re-reads in 2018, but hey, it was a group read, so I had to right?

I read a few of the books in this series about 10 years ago, but out of series order as they were not translated and released here in series order. So it was inevitable that one day I would go back to read the whole series, and in order.

Thanks to everyone who voted for this book, and gave me that opportunity!

Enjoyed it (again) ★★★★☆

message 3: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - added it

Brenda | 9879 comments Mod
Good on you Kerri - it's great to know you'd re-read; sign of a good book!

message 4: by Odette (last edited Sep 08, 2018 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Odette (odman) | 308 comments Kerri_M wrote: "Have just finished The Ice Princess by Camilla Läckberg.

For the second time... it was a re-read for me. And it broke my self imposed rule of no re-reads in 2018, but..."

Kerri, thank you for introducing me to a new series.

I really enjoyed the suspense and mystery in this book, and had to just keep reading. The identity of the culprit came as a surprise to me. I also liked the description of the landscape and place, and felt much colder than what it was in Canberra!
The characters were all very interesting and captivating. However, some were obnoxious and I did not particularly like them. Of course, they were the red herring for me! Also felt a little frustrated at the worry of appearances and what other people thought, which I suppose was typical of a small community in that era.
Erica and Patrik were very likeable and would like to follow their story in further books in this series.

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 190 comments Just finished. Didn't really like the book. I think the series could improve so I might give subsequent books a go but this one I only gave 2 out of 5. My review lists my issues with it!

message 6: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 23, 2018 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carolyn | 1512 comments This was a 3.5 to 4 ★ read for me. Some of it was very good but some was a bit slow and could have been sharper. In some ways it was a mix between a psychological thriller and a cosy mystery.

On the cosy side there's the small town situation with everyone knowing each other, the constant drinking of coffee every time they meet someone, much eating of pastries, the love interest between Erica and Patrik, the domestic abuse of Erika's sister and Patrik steering his own investigation with little direction from Mellberg.

On the psychological side there are the creepy prologues to the chapters where someone is describing Alex's death scene. there was also the creepy Jan and Nelly Lorentz and the strange disappearance of Nelly's son Nils.

It's a mixture that somehow works and I liked the mix of Erica's family issues and love affair with the murder mystery and will definitely read more in the series.

My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Kylie D | 347 comments I read this one a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. I think it was a freebie on the kindle for a while. I loved both the characters and the setting.

message 8: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - added it

I started it, but put it aside to read other things. Not sure when I'll finish it now...

Kylie H | 926 comments I really enjoyed this book for the reasons above, but for me it was also the LOL moments that made it seem so much more human. One example is when Patrik drags Ericka across the floor to recreate the murder and her top rides up exposing her 'muffin top'. These little observations really resonated with me.
I also enjoyed the plot and the fact that the author in this book set in Scandinavia did not focus on the ice and snow as so many books seem to do.
Thanks to those who voted this book in, I am now interested in reading more in this series.

message 10: by Brenda, Suspense lover! (new) - added it

Glad you liked it Kylie!

message 11: by Kadi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kadi (kads) | 68 comments I gave it a 3/5. I didn't mind the crime side but I just don't understand how Anna and Lucas' story fits into the book.

message 12: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 283 comments I gave it 4*; however, I do agree with Kadi. I had figured that Lucas' was the missing brother. I wanted him found and prosecuted for killing Alexandra. When it turned out someone else killed her and that he had been killed by the three kids a long time ago...well, it was a bit disappointing. Without that dreamed connection, the story of Anna and Lucas seemed to be without purpose to the overall book.

Aussie Lovers of Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Suspense

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Ice Princess (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Camilla Läckberg (other topics)