Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Gilbert & S-Eleven (11)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 264 (264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:51PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ Calila

Ensemble:
✔ Trio
✔ Wax
✔ Shannon
✔ Emelie
✔ Becky

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by Calila (last edited Oct 30, 2018 10:37PM) (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Tracking Post The First

Week 1: Orphaned Or Homeless MC - 6/6 (view spoiler)
One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1) by Marie Sexton Love Comes Around (Senses Series Book 4) by Andrew Grey David's Selfie by Daisy Harris The Case of the Sexy Shakespearean (The Middlemark Mysteries #1) by Tara Lain The Tin Star (Ranch #1) by J.L. Langley Cherish Your Name (Warder, #6) by Mary Calmes
--------
Week 2: Beta MC - 6/6(view spoiler)
Life on Pause (Love Life, #1) by Erin McLellan Winter Wolf (Axton & Leander, #1) by S.P. Wayne Shy by John Inman Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3) by Joanna Chambers The Darkling Thrush by Josh Lanyon Strong Enough (Family, #2) by Cardeno C.
--------
Week 3: Tagged as "Magic" - 6/6 (view spoiler)
Grave Phantoms (Roaring Twenties, #3) by Jenn Bennett By Fairy Means or Foul (Starfig Investigations, #1) by Meghan Maslow His Fairy Godfather by Cate Ashwood The Finder by J.E. Lorin A Tangled Legacy by Mickie B. Ashling The Heart of Frost (North Pole City Tales, #2) by Charlie Cochet
--------
Week 4: Different Social Status - 6/6 (view spoiler)
Trailer Trash by Marie Sexton Not My Spook! (Spy vs. Spook, #2) by Tinnean How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Granby Knitting, #2) by Amy Lane Summer Lessons (Winter Ball, #2) by Amy Lane The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1) by K.J. Charles The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1) by K.J. Charles
--------
Week 5: Two Authors/Anthology - 6/6 (view spoiler)
Beyond Ecstasy (Beyond, #8) by Kit Rocha Safe and Sound (Twist of Fate, #2) by Lucy Lennox Hiring Their Manny Omega (Mapleville Omegas #6) by Lorelei M. Hart The Trust by Shira Anthony Daddy Wanted (Rent-a-Dom #1) by Susi Hawke Follow The Sun (Stories from Sapphire Cay, #1) by R.J. Scott
--------
Week 6: TBR - 6/6 (view spoiler)
Cowboys Don't Come Out (Cowboys Don't, #1) by Tara Lain The Ghost Shrink, the Accidental Gigolo, & the Poltergeist Accountant (Karmic Consultants, #1) by Vivi Andrews Rachmaninoff by S.L. Armstrong Resilient Heart by Annabeth Albert A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1) by K.J. Charles Sparks (Something in Common, #2) by Talia Carmichael

message 6: by Calila (last edited Nov 14, 2018 10:38PM) (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Tracking Post The Second

-------
Week 7: Writer MC - 4/6
☑Becky: The Care and Taming of a Rogue
☐Calila: The Firebird and Other Stories
☑Emelie: Unscripted Love
☑Shannon: Dirty Mind
☐Trio: Life In Union
☑Wax: A Dangerous Thing
The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1) by Suzanne Enoch The Firebird and Other Stories (Beings in Love, #5) by R. Cooper Unscripted Love (Road to Blissville, #1) by Aimee Nicole Walker Dirty Mind by Roe Horvat Life In Union (Summit City, #3) by Ethan Day A Dangerous Thing (The Adrien English Mysteries, #2) by Josh Lanyon
--------
Week 8: Musician MC - 6/6(view spoiler)
True Brit by Con Riley Rend (Riven, #2) by Roan Parrish Push (Music in Motion, #1) by B.L. Morticia Encore (Blue Notes, #5) by Shira Anthony Rend (Riven, #2) by Roan Parrish Tequila Mockingbird (Sinners, #3) by Rhys Ford
---------
Week 9: Set In The UK - 6/6(view spoiler)
A Good Debutante's Guide to Ruin (The Debutante Files, #1) by Sophie Jordan Everybody's Fool by Cluegirl Rented Heart (Rented Heart, #1) by Garrett Leigh Back Where He Belongs by Isobel Starling Muscling Through by J.L. Merrow
---------
Week 10: Building On Cover - 5/6
☑Becky: Been Here All Along
☑Calila: Apprentice in Death
☐Emelie:
☑Shannon: A Christmas Promise
☑Trio: Silken
☑Wax: A Case of Possession
Been Here All Along by Sandy Hall Apprentice in Death (In Death, #43) by J.D. Robb A Christmas Promise by K.C. Wells Silken by Isobel Starling A Case of Possession (A Charm of Magpies, #2) by K.J. Charles
---------
Week : - 0/6
☐Becky:
☐Calila:
☐Emelie:
☐Shannon:
☐Trio:
☐Wax:
---------

message 7: by Calila (last edited Nov 12, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Passes Used

Week 1: None
Week 2: None
Week 3: None
Week 4: None
Week 5: None
Week 6: None
Week 7: None
Week 8: None
Week 9: None
Week 10: None
Week 11:

message 8: by Calila (last edited Nov 04, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Themes Called

Week 1: Orphaned/Homeless MC
Week 2: Beta MC
Week 3: Tagged as Magic
Week 4: Different Social Status
Week 5: Anthology/Two Authors
Week 6: TBR
Week 7: Writer
Week 8: Musician MC
Week 9: Set In The UK
Week 10: TBA
Week 11: TBA

message 9: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Extra If Needed

message 10: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Hey everyone!!! I'm Calila, your Maestro this round. I think I know everyone from previous rounds so hello again!

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

First thing we need is a name, suggest away! Keep in mind our THEME - GILBERT & SULLIVAN (ignore the caps, I'm lazy and c/p'd)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments Hi, I'm Becky!

My only suggestion for a name right now is The Pirates of Romance. (You know, like The Pirates of Penzance.) I was looking over some info about Gilbert & Sullivan last week, and I know I wrote a couple of ideas down, but can I find it now? Of course not. If I find my note or come up with any other ideas I'll let you know.

message 12: by Trio (new)

Trio | 2268 comments Hi everyone, I'm Trio

I love G&S so I'll have to put my thinking cap on to come up with a few suggestions.

Looking forward to my second round of PTP!

message 13: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Hi Everyone i'm emeli from sweden and I have done this challenge several Times and just a heads up If you want to use my shelf for Option 2 i Love mm so There is mostly mm romance on my shelf.

message 14: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Team name suggestions
The Gondoliers
The pirate Princesses
Flower maids
Sailor brides

message 15: by Wax (new)

Wax (waxapplelover) | 337 comments Hi team! I live in Texas (CST) and read mostly MM romance.

I don't have any great creative names, but I already love the ones suggested.

message 16: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments I'm also an m/m reader, although I've read more m/f in the last year or so than I did for a while. I throw the occasional f/f in there, too.

message 17: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments If we get settled on a name soon Jane will post the first theme early!!

Suggestions:
Gilbert & SELEVEN
The Lasses That Loved Romance Heros
Grand Dukes Do It Better
Eleven Sweethearts

message 18: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Shannon usually has names to share...

Hellooooooo? Shannonnnnnn.....

message 19: by Trio (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:45PM) (new)

Trio | 2268 comments I vote for Becky's suggestion of The Pirates of Romance

I'm almost 100% MM as well, so we can do a compare books to see if you have given anything 4 or 5 stars that I have on my tbr shelf and I'll be sure to add them to the lists :)

Anyone is welcome to check out my shelves as well - recs are greatly appreciated!

message 20: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments A team has already claimed Pirates of Romance =/

message 21: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Hi guys! Sorry I'm so late!! I'm here, I'm here.

message 22: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Names

Princess IDA-LikeSomeAThat
Pirates In My Pants

Yeah, I got nothin'

message 23: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments We're all here!!

And yep....I'm not creative enough for team names this round lol

message 24: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Suggestions so far:

The Pirates of Romance
The Gondoliers
The Pirate Princesses
Flower Maids
Sailor Brides
Gilbert & S-ELEVEN
The Lasses That Loved Romance Heros
Grand Dukes Do It Better
Eleven Sweethearts
Princess IDA-LikeSomeAThat
Pirates In My Pants

Other Team's Claimed Names:
Pirates Of Romance
Love Sick Maidens

message 25: by Trio (new)

Trio | 2268 comments oh I like Gilbert & S-ELEVEN

message 26: by Wax (new)

Wax (waxapplelover) | 337 comments Trio wrote: "oh I like Gilbert & S-ELEVEN"

me too

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Me too!!

message 28: by Emeli (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Im fine with that team name

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Could someone please add these books to the Geeky list. I must have created the list because I can't add any more. Thank you!!

Best Gay Bookish, Nerdy, Geeky Characters

Heart
The Rest of Forever
Swann's Revenge
Dantès Unglued
By the Numbers
In the Ring

message 30: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Okay I'll get that name to Jane since everyone is okay with it. =)

message 31: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Added the books for you Shannon, though Dantes Unglued was already on it.

message 32: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Thanks Calila!!

message 33: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments We have been named!!

message 34: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments So I totally forgot the theme would be early LOL

Oops.

message 35: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Week 1: Orphaned Or Homeless MC

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:
Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2:
Key date: 7 March 2018

Please ensure you follow the format shown in msg 3 of your team threads. when you post your selection and completion posts.

message 36: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Oh...please when posting your selection include a "broken" book link by adding as asterisk! Makes c/ping much easier for me.

Example:
Working Link - Pippi Longstocking
Broken Link - [*book:Pippi Longstocking|19302]

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments Calila wrote: "So I totally forgot the theme would be early LOL

Oops."

If it makes you feel any better, I forgot too!

message 38: by Emeli (last edited Sep 05, 2018 10:02PM) (new)

Emeli Webb | 292 comments Week 1 Option 1
David's Selfie
[*book:David's Selfie|22737045]
131 pages
Number 26 on this list https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 39: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Emelie wrote: "Week 1 Option 1
David's Selfie
[*book:David's Selfie|22737045]
Number 26 on this list https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9..."

Hi Emelie - you need to add the number of pages to your post :)

message 41: by Shannon (last edited Sep 06, 2018 01:16AM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Week 1 Selection
Option 2

The Case of the Sexy Shakespearean (The Middlemark Mysteries #1) by Tara Lain
[*book:The Case of the Sexy Shakespearean|38371895]
Pages: 220
Qualifies: Calila read 7/26/18, Rated ★★★

message 42: by Becky (last edited Sep 08, 2018 10:34AM) (new)

Becky (fibrobabe) | 1415 comments Week #1: Orphaned Or Homeless MC
Bookcover/link: One Man's Trash (The Heretic Doms Club, #1) by Marie Sexton
Page numbers: 343 pages
How the book qualifies: #48 on the Gay Romance Featuring a Homeless MC

[*bookcover:One Man's Trash|36205038]

message 43: by Shannon (last edited Sep 07, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1898 comments Week 1 Completion
Option 2

The Case of the Sexy Shakespearean (The Middlemark Mysteries #1) by Tara Lain
The Case of the Sexy Shakespearean by Tara Lain
Pages: 220
Read: 9/7/18
Rating: ★★★★

This is a tough one to rate for me. I love Tara Lain and enjoyed the story so I'll go with 4 but it's really more 3.5. The reason? Everything about this book felt surface and glossed over. The love story wasn't deep or meaningful, the initial mystery was never answered and I felt like I had more questions than answers at the end of the book. Maybe it's just me but there it is. I adored Llewellyn and his cats. I adored his assistant. I liked Blaise okay but didn't love his motives. This could have been fantastic if it had gotten more into Llewellyn's issues and had Blaise somehow work with him on them. Instead they had some sex and solved a mystery. The mystery that was solved was interesting. I don't know, a good read but not fantastic.

message 44: by Wax (new)

Wax (waxapplelover) | 337 comments Week 1
Option 1

Cherish Your Name (Warder, #6) by Mary Calmes
[*book:Cherish Your Name|13134204]

Pages: 158/GR
How qualifies: #17 on the Gay Romance Featuring Orphaned MC list

message 45: by Trio (new)

Trio | 2268 comments oh there are a few really good choices for me - I don't want to 'waffle' *wink* so I'm going to research the books and I'll post asap.

message 46: by Trio (new)

Trio | 2268 comments Calila wrote: "So I totally forgot the theme would be early LOL

Oops."

me too!!!! sorry guys, I was thinking "Friday".

message 47: by Calila (new)

Calila | 2746 comments Trio wrote: "oh there are a few really good choices for me - I don't want to 'waffle' *wink* so I'm going to research the books and I'll post asap."

No rush lol. well...now that I know you've seen the category at least lol. =)

message 48: by Trio (new)

Trio | 2268 comments phew, thanks for the heads' up Calila - I had totally forgotten! There are at least four books on the lists that are on my 'read next' shelf... decisions decisions!

message 49: by Wax (last edited Sep 08, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Wax (waxapplelover) | 337 comments Week 1 COMPLETION POST
Option 1

Cherish Your Name (Warder, #6) by Mary Calmes
[*book:Cherish Your Name|13134204]

Pages: 158/GR
How qualifies: #17 on the Gay Romance Featuring Orphaned MC list

Read 9/8/18
5 stars

A comfort read of one of my favorite Warders couples. It's great to see how Malic and Dylan (from Tooth & Nail) are doing down the road in their relationship.

message 50: by Trio (last edited Sep 08, 2018 09:38AM) (new)

Trio | 2268 comments Week 1, Option 1
selection post

The Tin Star by J.L. Langley
[*book:The Tin Star|5818746]
183 pages

How it Qualifies: #27 on Gay Romance Featuring a Homeless MC

« previous 1 3 4 5 6