Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - It's Not Over 'Til the Fab Ladies Read (10)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 271 (271 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:31PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ Nicole P

Ensemble:
✔ Miriam
✔ Mariana
✔ Laura
✔ SandyL
✔ Sassafrass

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:50AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Nov 09, 2018 09:47PM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments THEMES

Week 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists.

Week 2
9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of the following lists.

Week 3
7. Read a book tagged with 'magic' (does not have to be a main page genre).

Week 4
8. Read a book with MCs at different ends of wealth or social status from one of the following lists.

Week 5
15. In honour of such a successful duo, read an anthology or a book written by two authors. Eg Ilona Andrews (Ilona and Andrew Gordon).

Week 6
5. On your full TBR ~ your 'want to read'/'to read' list, not a cut down list ~ do the following steps.

Week 7
2. Read a book with an MC who is a writer (author, poet, screenplay writer, journalist etc) ~ from one of the following lists.

Week 8
3. Read a book with an MC who plays or writes music (composer, musician, singer etc) ~ from one of the following lists.

Week 9
1. Read a book set in the UK.

Week 10
6. Read a book with a building on the cover.

message 6: by Nicole (last edited Oct 13, 2018 05:10AM) (new)

message 7: by Nicole (last edited Nov 16, 2018 07:34AM) (new)

message 8: by Nicole (last edited Nov 16, 2018 11:49PM) (new)

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Res

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Hey Team,

My name is Nicole and this is my first time being captain :) I'm looking forward to it. I've played PtP three times before and it is a whole lot of fun.

To start off introduce yourself and if you are creative or a maestro at googling stuff, suggest team names.

message 11: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 307 comments Hey team,

I'm traveling at the moment, so I'll be very hit or miss the next few days.

I suck at team names, but I'm also not picky, so don't wait on my vote to decide.

I've played a few times now and really enjoyed it.

message 12: by Sassafrass (last edited Sep 01, 2018 05:31AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3918 comments Hi All! I've played every PtP that the RRRC has had. I love this game.

I'm really looking forward to playing with you all. I see a few new faces and some people that I've played with before. :)

I'm horrible with coming up with names. I'm sure I'll be happy with what the team picks.

message 13: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments Hello. My name is Mariana and I'm from Romania. I am 28 years old and I love to read romance - MM and MF. This is one of my favorite challenge and I can't wait to start.

message 14: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments Hi Team 10! I'm Sandy and I'm from California. I've played this challenge several times and it's a lot of fun! I'll try to think of some names - this theme is a tough one to be creative with!

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Welcome everyone! Just a little bit about myself: I'm from South Africa but currently living and working in Abu Dhabi. I'm an avid reader, with romance being my one and true love :) I read both MF and MM and most genres, except historical.

I don't have a creative bone in my body but try to come up with a some names.

message 16: by Laura..devouring books like crumpets (last edited Sep 01, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 1281 comments Hi team just checking in, My first time playing but hear it lots of fun..... I love urban fantasy romances and paranormal romance, although I do love a light rom com or a bit of old fashioned smut, I am from the British Isles, but live in Greece.... As for team names once you guys start kicking them about will chip in as atm I don't have a clue xxxx

a few suggestions

Pirates not from penzance
Su-Bert book bugs
our dulcet tones could crack a window

sorry I really don't know them that well never been to opera, hopefully someone thinks of summin better ha ha ha

message 17: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments I like it, Laura!

Some others
Let Me Compose Myself
Passionate Pirates
Making Overtures

Here's a link to some opera terms:https://www.operaphila.org/your-visit...

message 18: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Great suggestions for team names Laura and Sandy!

Let's keep them coming :)

message 19: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments I don't know many thing about this subject, but this are my suggestions:
Ten or Six love-sick maidens, we
The sorceress
The pirate queens who read romance
Away, away, my book's on fire

message 20: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments There's always
It's Not Over 'Til the Fat Lady Sings! :-)

message 21: by Nicole (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:13AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments These are our options so far:

Pirates not from penzance
Su-Bert book bugs
Our dulcet tones could crack a window
Let Me Compose Myself
Passionate Pirates
Making Overtures
Ten or Six love-sick maidens, we
The sorceress
The pirate queens who read romance
Away, away, my book's on fire
It's Not Over 'Til the Fat Lady Sings!

I'm liking Ten love-sick maidens.

message 22: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments I like ten love-sick maidens too, but it seams that team 4 already choose this one.

message 23: by Nicole (last edited Sep 03, 2018 07:45PM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Darnit :( How about It's Not Over 'Til the Fat Lady Reads?

Edit: It's Not Over 'Til the Fab Ladies Read

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments And change fat to fab.

message 25: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments I like it Nicole - clever!!

message 27: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments I like it, too!

message 28: by Nicole (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:43AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Ok. That's our team name then :) I'll let Jane know.

And just a heads up to check the thread tomorrow and Thursday because Jane sometimes calls the first theme early.

message 29: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments The first theme was announced early.
Here is the link to Jane's post.

message 30: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments Week 1, Option 1
The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1) by J.H. Knight
Book: The Last Thing He Needs by J.H. Knight
Page numbers: 220 pages per GR
How the book qualifies: #3 on MM Single Parents

message 31: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Thanks Mariana :) The themes are usually announced when I'm asleep.

message 32: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Week 1

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:

Gay Romance featuring an Orphaned MC

All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love

Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted

Gay Romance featuring a homeless MC

Homeless Romance Hero or Heroine

Best Romance with a Single Parent

MM Single Parents

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

Please ensure you follow the format shown in Msg 3 of your team threads. when you post your selection and completion posts.

message 33: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 307 comments Week # 1
Bookcover/link: Dance in the Dark
Page numbers: 251
How the book qualifies: #100 on the Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC list

message 34: by Nicole (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:53AM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Option 1
Week #1: MC is an orphan/homeless
Booklink: See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
Page numbers: 324
Qualifies: #110 on Best Romance with a Single Parent List

message 35: by Laura..devouring books like crumpets (last edited Sep 06, 2018 12:08PM) (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 1281 comments Option 2
Week # 1
Dear Jane (Animal Attraction, #1) by Marissa Clarke
Page numbers 110
Name of the team-member Nicole,
Their star rating 3
The date they read the book 19th of May

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments Miriam wrote: "Week # 1
How the book qualifies: #100 on the Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC list"

I love this series ~ especially the first two books :)

message 37: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments I'll be picking my book soon - I'm finished up some others I have in progress

message 38: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 307 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Miriam wrote: "Week # 1

I love this series ~ espe..."

I read it a while back, so I figured it was a good time for a re-read. I always really liked Midnight, but I haven't read some of the later books.

message 39: by Sassafrass (last edited Sep 07, 2018 08:39AM) (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3918 comments Week 1:

Option 1
Forever and a Day
Pages: 384/GR
How it fits: #26 on the Adopted: Romance Leads who were Adopted List

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21542 comments Miriam wrote: "Jane (PS) wrote: "Miriam wrote: "Week # 1

I love ..."

I'm up to book 7 I think... Twilight. Need to get it read :D

message 41: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3918 comments Week 1: COMPLETED

Option 1
Forever and a Day
Date read: 9/8/18
Rating: *4 STARS*

Absolutely adorable. I loved Grace and Josh. And not to mention Toby and Tank. LOL, Anna had to grow on me, but the little family they created was so perfect. And then getting to visit with the Lucky Harbor gang all over again was just the icing on some pretty perfect chocolate cupcakes. :)

I kinda let the series got to the wayside a bit but with this book I'm back in and can't wait to see who's next to fall.

message 42: by Nicole (last edited Sep 08, 2018 06:33PM) (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Sassafrass wrote: "Week 1: COMPLETED

Option 1
Forever and a Day
Date read: 9/8/18
Rating: *4 STARS*

Absolutely ador..."

It's a favorite series of mine :) And I feel the same way about getting to visit the Lucky Labor gang. Lucille and the geriatric quad are hilarious.

message 43: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 3918 comments OMG, the geriatrics. LMAO! They are hilarious.

message 44: by SandyL (last edited Sep 10, 2018 06:24PM) (new)

SandyL | 584 comments Week # 1 - Option 1 - Selection Post
Bookcover/link: Officer off Limits
Officer off Limits (Line of Duty, #3) by Tessa Bailey
Page numbers: 250
How the book qualifies
All Grown Up: Romance Novels Featuring Former Foster Children Finding Love #22

message 45: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments Completion Post
Week #1
Booklink: See Jane Score by Rachel Gibson
Date Read: 08/09
Rating: ★★★

I read this series a few years ago so it was like a trip down memory lane. Jane, the female MC, really did live up to the stereotype of 'Plain Jane'. She was unassuming, and almost average looking. She's thrown into the deep end when her newspaper asks her to cover the Chinook's hockey games. I liked how she wasn't intimidated and scared off when the players made things a tad bit difficult for her. And then the male MC, Luc, was surly and grumpy and all kinds of sexy. He is the teams star goalie and proving the doubters wrong. His personal life was in shambles but he spent two years getting back on track. He was also responsible for his sister after her mother passed away.

He overlooks Jane at first until he starts to see her in a new light. Her feisty, no nonsense attitude sparks something in him. Despite both their attempts to resists, it was futile.

A cute and fun read and I enjoyed it :)

message 46: by Mariana (last edited Sep 09, 2018 10:08AM) (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments Week 1, Option 1
The Last Thing He Needs (The Last Thing He Needs, #1) by J.H. Knight
Book: The Last Thing He Needs by J.H. Knight
Rating: 4 stars
Review:
This was a sweet story. Tommy is raising alone his seven younger siblings because his father and stepmother are addicts. And then Bobby inserts himself in their life. I liked Bobby, he was sweet, nice, patient and he really liked Tommy, even when he was an ass. I liked the writing and the dialog was fun sometimes. The two main characters had great chemistry and I loved the ending, it felt realistic, but still happy.

message 47: by Laura..devouring books like crumpets (last edited Sep 09, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Laura..devouring books like crumpets (lauzacookie) | 1281 comments Completion post!

Week # 1 option 2
Dear Jane (Animal Attraction, #1) by Marissa Clarke
Bookcover/link Dear Jane
Rating 3
Review:
Meh it was ok for a quick read, I did enjoy the concept of the first half and having a male POV, but the second half seemed very samey to a lot of rom/coms... Big Misunderstanding, girl wont hear guy out a huge romantic gesture then HEA...... Also I wasn't keen that Jane nearly every other page is adamnet she wont date a lawyer due to them being "arrogant, bossy, and way too argumentative." Yet she chose it as a career path...... Pot Kettle Black... But ok was a sweet quickie.....

message 48: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 584 comments Week # 1 - Option 1 - Completion Post
Bookcover/link: Officer off Limits
Officer off Limits (Line of Duty, #3) by Tessa Bailey
Page numbers: 250
How the book qualifies
All Grown Up: Romance Novels Featuring Former Foster Children Finding Love #22 on list
Completed: 9/10/18
Rating: 4 stars
Review: Story Brooks is a kindergarten teacher whose fiance just called off their wedding, and then she gets word her father has had a heart attack. Story goes out to New York to visit her father and meets Daniel Chase, a hostage negotiator who works with her dad. Daniel had a tough childhood, his parents dying when he was young and going through the foster system, and some other stuff that happened in a foster home that has caused him to not want to do relationships. But there is something about Story that he can't stay away from, even though her dad warns him off of her. This was a short, hot and sexy book and I liked the characters. It was a little predictable, but I still really enjoyed it!

message 49: by Nicole (new)

Nicole P | 3200 comments SandyL wrote: "Week # 1 - Option 1 - Completion Post
Bookcover/link: Officer off Limits"

I love, love, love, LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Tessa Bailey!! She is my all-time favorite author. I don't even question or bother to read the blurb of any book she publishes. I just one-click that baby and devour every word. Glad you enjoyed this. I liked the series. And the last one in the series Staking His Claim was all kinds of hot. Wowwee *fans self*

message 50: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (lyqrycy) | 551 comments The new theme was announced early
Week 2

« previous 1 3 4 5 6