Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Modern Major Romance-ologists (9)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 245 (245 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:22PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21353 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ KarenH

Ensemble:
✔ Tink
✔ Sunshine
✔ Alexa
✔ Shelby
✔ AliciaJ

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21353 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21353 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21353 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Nov 02, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Weekly Themes

Week 1

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:
Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

Week 2

Option 1
9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of the following lists:
Best Gay Romance with Bookish Nerdy Geeky Characters
Nerdgasms
Nerdy Guys Are Hot
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Romance Novels
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Paranormal and Science Fiction Romance Novels

Option 2
Key date: 14 March 2018

Week 3

Option 1
7. Read a book tagged with 'magic' (does not have to be a main page genre)

Option 2
Key date: 21 March 2018

WEEK 4

Option 1
8. Read a book with MCs at different ends of wealth or social status from one of the following lists:

Cinderella romance
Romance books with a Cinderella / Rages to riches plot
Best gay Cinderfellas
Best gay romance with characters coming from different backgrounds
Wrong side of the tracks
Class differences in historical romances
Class differences in contemporary romance

Option 2
Key date: 28 March 2018

WEEK 5

Option 1

15. In honour of such a successful duo, read an anthology or a book written by two authors. Eg Ilona Andrews (Ilona and Andrew Gordon).

Guidance only:
Best MM books written by two authors
Sorry - no list found for the MF readers!

Option 2

Key date: 4 April 2018

Week 6

Option 1
5. On your full TBR ~ your 'want to read'/'to read' list, not a cut down list ~ do the following steps:
* sort your books by 'date added' with the oldest showing at the top of the page
* at the bottom of the screen set the list to 100 books per page
* select a book in the first 100 results
* note the date when the book was added to your TBR

Option 2
Key date: 11 April 2018

Week 7

Option 1
2. Read a book with an MC who is a writer (author, poet, screenplay writer, journalist etc) ~ from one of the following lists:
Hero/Heroine is a writer - Historical romance
Gay Romance feat writers, authors, journalists
Scribble: Writer heroes in contemporary romance
Ink Stained: Writer heroines in contemporary romance
Writer heroes and heroines in paranormal romance
Writer Leads in category romance novels

Option 2
Key date: 18 April 2018

Week 8

Option 1
3. Read a book with an MC who plays or writes music (composer, musician, singer etc) ~ from one of the following lists:
Rock star romance
Musically inclined heroines/heroines in romance
Play a Song for Me: Best musicians of contemporary romance
Opry: Romance novels with country music artists
Melody: PNR with singers and musicians
Notes: Musicians in historical romance
One Direction: MM fan fiction Who knew?!
MM with musician MC

Option 2
Key date: 25 April 2018

Week 9

Option 1
1. Read a book set in the UK.
Please note the country setting in your selection post.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, simply called the United Kingdom or UK, is a sovereign state in Northern Europe. It is a constitutional monarchy that is made up of four separate countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Option 2
Key date: 2 May 2018

message 6: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Oct 11, 2018 09:40PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Selection/Completion Posts - Weeks 1-4

Week 1 - Complete

(view spoiler)

Week 2 - Complete

(view spoiler)

Week 3 - Complete

(view spoiler)

Week 4 - Complete

(view spoiler)

message 7: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Nov 05, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Selection/Completion Posts - Weeks 5-8

Week 5 - Complete

(view spoiler)

Week 6 - Completed

(view spoiler)

Week 7

(view spoiler)

Week 8

(view spoiler)

message 9: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments **

message 10: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Hey everyone!

I just wanted to say a quick hello before going back to the chaos that is my life for the rest of this weekend - huge work project at my house, so my chances to check in will be limited.

I'm Karen, and I live out in the boonies in the foothills of the North Cascades in Washington State, so that puts me in the Pacific timezone.

I read almost exclusively romance, with the occasional mainstream mystery/suspense, general fiction, or even less often non-fiction thrown in (non-fiction mostly for knowledge, the rest for pleasure). Within the romance genre I'll read just about any sub-genre although there are a few that I don't read much and am pretty picky about (not a fan of most inspirational romance, and I'm fairly picky about YA and Sci-Fi). I read both m/f and m/m and currently I'm reading more m/f CR and/or RS than anything else, although I do try to mix things up and read a variety every month.

Our first task is to come up with a name, and I have no creativity whatsoever, so I'm hoping some of you can come up with some good ideas! I'll try to think of some too, but as I said earlier, I may not be around much for the next few days.

I can't wait to get started!

message 11: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (psreadthisbook) | 313 comments Hello everyone! This is one of my favorite challenges, so I am veyr excited to get started!

I'm Alexa, and I'm in Minnesota so central time zone. I teach kindergarten, and this is the beginning of the year. Things can get get a little crazy, but I should be able to squeeze in a book a week. Hopefully, things will settle down in about one month. This is probably the only chance I will have to check in until school starts on Tuesday. They just painted my room.... today... my room is a mess. A giant, terrifying mess. I will be there all weekend trying to get it perfect for my new babies next week.

I read everything as long as it has romance. I read both mm and mf and any sub genre. Though, I probably prefer contemporary the most. Recently I've been a bit obsessed with reverse harem romance. It's popularity is just beginning to grow though, so it can be difficult to find good believable ones.

Names...
The Pirates of Romance (play off of Pirates of Penzance opera)

That's about all I have. I've seen Pirates of Penzance and Iolanthe, but it's been years and I can't say I'm a huge opera fan. Although, every time I think of the theme this time, I start humming the General's song. Probably one of the catchiest tunes ever.

message 12: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 1506 comments Hi everyone, I’m Alicia, I’m in Northern California, about 100 miles south of Oregon. I’m really excited about this challenge, it’s a new one for me.

I read a large variety of different genres, but I have to admit romance is my favorite, both m/m and m/f. I try to mix things up too, so I toss in some fantasy and suspense as well.

As for name ideas, none spring to mind at the moment, but I’ll see if I can come up with something.

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments Hi I'm Tink, I live in England. Romance is my go-to genre with Contemporary being at the top. I read M/F and M/M but only a few authors for the latter one.

Doubt I'll be much use with team names as, apart from their names and knowing what they do I'm not familiar with Gilbert & Sullivan's work

message 14: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Hi I’m Sunshine and live in Chicago.

I read just about anything, but not a fan of paranormal (usually read for a challenge). Usually my go to pick is romance that has a bit of mystery or tends to be dark.

For a name, how about “Pirates of Romance”

message 15: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Hi everyone! It's good to see a mix of new and familiar names! I think I know all of you (some better than others) except for our newbie - welcome, Alicia!

I like "Pirates of Romance" too, but I've already seen it mentioned in a couple of other threads, so we should probably have some other options to consider. I'm still drawing a blank - my mind is much more on RL this weekend than on GR, and as I said before, creativity is definitely not my strong suit!

message 16: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (psreadthisbook) | 313 comments Romantic Arias?

I'm trying, but this theme is giving me so many blanks.

message 17: by Sunshine (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments I like that

message 18: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Karen! Ok I have to admit I was more than a little excited seeing that we get to be on a team together through football season. I will probably feel the need to bombard you weekly with either exultations or raging frustration depending on our weeks results. ;) Go Hawks!

Sorry everybody! Hi, I'm Shelby. I'm also in the PST though as much as I love my home state of Washington (thus the big time football fan) I live down in SoCal. I'll read pretty much anything and everything in both the m/f and m/m genres. I like reading diversely and I'm always open to new suggestions.

My schedule is all over the map since I own a film production company and bartend as well. So week to week my schedule is never the same. Still I try to be around as much as possible. :)

As far as names go I'm open to anything.

message 19: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Hey Shelby! I was excited to see you here too, although we'll probably bore everyone else on the team with all the cheering or commiserating, depending on how the season goes!

Now back to the matter at hand...it sounds like none of us are having much luck coming up with names. So far we have:

Pirates of Romance
Romantic Arias

Any other ideas, or do we just want to pick one of those?

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments I've sent you all friend requests because I have a private profile. Apart from Alicia as it won't let me from the app for some reason.

message 21: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "I've sent you all friend requests because I have a private profile. Apart from Alicia as it won't let me from the app for some reason."

Ok, just to show you all how well my brain is (not) working this weekend, I saw this and my first thought was "but I didn't get one!"...then I realized, oh yeah, we're already friends! How sad is that??? ;)

message 22: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I've also just sent friend requests to the two of you that I wasn't already friends with.

Tink, I think maybe you couldn't send a friend request to Alicia because she has a security question...

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments Ha ha Karen thats the sort of thing I'd do. I'll send Alicia one when I can get a go on my own PC, probably when the kids go to bed as apparently its unfair for me to want to go on it anytime they do. Kids

message 24: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Another team has claimed Pirates of Romance, so does anyone else have any ideas, or do we want to just go with Romantic Arias?

message 25: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Tink I'm surprised we weren't already friends. :)

message 26: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Ok so maybe for a name...

Modern Major Romance-ologist

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments Shelby wrote: "Ok so maybe for a name...

Modern Major Romance-ologist"

I like this one, just maybe with an S on the end?

And I was surprised too Shelby, I always see you about i guess we haven't made it on a team before now.

message 28: by Sunshine (last edited Sep 03, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Shelby wrote: "Ok so maybe for a name...

Modern Major Romance-ologists"

I like that, too

message 29: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments I like that (with the 's' added) too!

message 30: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 1506 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "I've sent you all friend requests because I have a private profile. Apart from Alicia as it won't let me from the app for some reason."

I got your request this morning Tink and added you. 😁

message 31: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 1506 comments I love the idea of being a Romance-ologist. This one has my vote.

message 32: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Ok, we haven't heard back from Alexa on the name yet, but since I know she's crazy busy with school and the rest of us all seem to like Modern Major Romance-ologists, I'm going to let Jane know. We don't want to take the chance of missing our early theme announcement! =)

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments When is the first theme call?

message 34: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Tink Magoo is bad at reviews wrote: "When is the first theme call?"

The regular time is Friday around 6 PM Eastern time, but if all the teams are sorted out and ready, Jane will post the first week's theme Wednesday instead.

message 35: by Alexa (new)

Alexa (psreadthisbook) | 313 comments I love the name choice! Sorry! I spent my weekend trying to get my classroom together and managed to survive the first day of school today. Always the hardest, especially with kinders that need constant guidance.

message 36: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments No worries, Alexa - we knew you'd be busy. Glad you like the name, and that you made it through the first day!

message 37: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 03:43PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments And here we go...first theme announcement!

Week 1

Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of the following lists:
Gay romance featuring an orphaned MC
All Grown Up: Romance novels featuring former foster children finding love
Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted
Gay romance featuring a homeless MC
Homeless romance hero or heroine
UNICEF defines an orphan as a child under 18 years of age who has lost one or both parents to any cause of death. So I've added two more lists:
Best romance with a single parent
MM single parents

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

Please ensure you follow the format shown in msg 3 of your team threads. when you post your selection and completion posts.

The link to Jane's post can be found HERE.

message 38: by AliciaJ (new)

AliciaJ | 1506 comments So how long do we have to pick out our book?

message 39: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments AliciaJ wrote: "So how long do we have to pick out our book?"

You just need to have your selection posted before the next theme is announced, so a week from Friday. My goal is always to finish reading the book before the next theme is announced, but it's not required - you can actually be 2 books behind and still stay in the challenge, as long as you've posted your selections.

message 40: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (last edited Sep 05, 2018 07:14PM) (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Week 1 - Selection Post

Option 1
Moving Maverick (Made Marian, #5) by Lucy Lennox Moving Maverick
Pages: 279 (kindle version)
How the book qualifies: #7 on Adopted: Romance leads who were adopted

message 41: by Sunshine (last edited Sep 07, 2018 03:34AM) (new)

Sunshine (sunshine22222) | 921 comments Week 1 … Selection Post

One Small Thing (One Thing, #1) by Piper Vaughn
One Small Thing
Pages: 214 - kindle version

Book qualifies is #1 on MM Single Parents (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...)

message 42: by Alexa (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:57PM) (new)

Alexa (psreadthisbook) | 313 comments Selection Post

Week: 1 option 2
Book: Grounding Griffin
Page numbers: 264
Read by: KarenH on August 15, 2018
Rated: 4/5 stars

Grounding Griffin (Made Marian, #4) by Lucy Lennox

message 43: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Sunshine wrote: "Week 1 … Selection Post

One Small Thing (One Thing, #1) by Piper Vaughn
One Small Thing
Pages: 214 - kindle version

Book qualifies is #1 on MM Single Parents"

Hey Sunshine! Could you please add a link to the qualifying list in your selection post? Thanks!

message 44: by Shelby (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:05PM) (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Week 1
Option 1
Book: Let it Ride
Page numbers: 195
How Fits: #110 on Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC

Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2) by L.C. Chase

message 45: by Shelby (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:10PM) (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Week 1
Let it Ride by L.C. Chase
Let it Ride (Pickup Men, #2) by L.C. Chase

Read: (9/6)

Rating: ★★★★

So this is one of those super sweet stories. The drama/tension almost felt manufactured to make there be some sort of something keeping our two guys apart. Bridge and Eric both really like each other, but Eric's past growing up in the system and then subsequently having everyone he's ever cared about leaving him keep him from trusting in Bridge's devotion.

While this isn't truly a gay for you, it walks the line of Bridge admitting to himself he's always had a little interest in guys, but Eric is the one to pull him over the edge. And really he hesitates not at all. Without Eric's past these two would have just gotten together and been all happy and in love. It's not a bad book, and for the type I enjoyed it since I like both Bridge and Eric as well as the backdrop of this story. But there's no real tension and obstacles in this story.

message 47: by AliciaJ (last edited Sep 07, 2018 08:51AM) (new)

AliciaJ | 1506 comments Week 1 - Selection Post
Option 1
Book: The Long and Winding Road
Pgs: 371 pg/GR
How Fits: #130 on the Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC list

Tink Magoo is bad at reviews (tinkmagoo) | 1245 comments Completion Post -

Week # 1
Book: The Dark Light of Day
Rating: 4.5
Review:
This was a reread for me and I have to say that I actually enjoyed it more this time around than the first. Sometimes you just need a couple that are f-d up but perfect together

message 49: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1736 comments Karen!!! Are you ready for today?!??!?!

message 50: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 8288 comments Shelby wrote: "Karen!!! Are you ready for today?!??!?!"

I am, except that I have family here working on finishing a major project outside, so recording the game. Hopefully we'll get to start it before it's over, but until then the TV is staying off!

« previous 1 3 4 5