Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Pirates of Romance (8)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 261 (261 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:20PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ Chan

Ensemble:
✔ Grace
✔ Stacie
✔ Sarah (P)
✔ Scarlett
✔ Nikk

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:49AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 05:33PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

Team 8 - could you please give Chan a bit more time to reserve some posts here at the beginning before you jump on and introduce yourself?
Thanks

message 5: by Chan (last edited Sep 14, 2018 02:05PM) (new)

message 6: by Chan (last edited Nov 16, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

Chan | 4287 comments THEMES

Week 11: Called Nov 16, 2018
Option 1
13. Read a book by an author whose first and last name start with the same letter. Eg Cassandra Clare. Their initials may be used but must be the first initial. Eg. A.M. Arthur

Option 2
Key date: 16 May 2018

In this final week, if you use Option 2 you must select your book from a member in the team below yours in the following list:

8 Pirates of Romance
5 The Challenge Executioners
7 Read, We Must Not Lose Our Glasses
11 Gilbert & S-Eleven
2 Booking It!
3 Readers of Penzance
4 Love Sick Maidens
10 Its Not Over Til the Fab Ladies Read
12 Backstage Antics
9 Modern Major Romance-ologists
6 The Pirates of Pen's Pants
1 Caption Cooks

Team 1 selects option 2 books from Team 8.

Week 10: Called Nov 9, 2018
Option 1
6. Read a book with a building on the cover. Please post the book cover in your selection post.

Option 2
Key date: 9 May 2018

Week 9: Called Nov 2, 2018
Option 1
1. Read a book set in the UK.
Please note the country setting in your selection post.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, simply called the United Kingdom or UK, is a sovereign state in Northern Europe. It is a constitutional monarchy that is made up of four separate countries: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Option 2
Key date: 2 May 2018

Week 8: Called Oct 26, 2018
Option 1
3. Read a book with an MC who plays or writes music (composer, musician, singer etc) ~ from one of Jane's Compulsory Lists

Option 2
Key date: 25 April 2018

Week 7: Called Oct 19, 2018
Option 1
2. Read a book with an MC who is a writer (author, poet, screenplay writer, journalist etc) from one of Jane's Compulsory Lists

Option 2
Key date: 18 April 2018

Week 6: Called Oct 12, 2018
Option 1
5. On your full TBR ~ your 'want to read'/'to read' list, not a cut down list ~ do the following steps:
* sort your books by 'date added' with the oldest showing at the top of the page
* at the bottom of the screen set the list to 100 books per page
* select a book in the first 100 results
* note the date when the book was added to your TBR

Option 2
Key date: 11 April 2018

Week 5: Called Oct 5, 2018
Option 1
15. In honour of such a successful duo, read an anthology or a book written by two authors. Eg Ilona Andrews (Ilona and Andrew Gordon) - Jane's GUIDANCE List

Option 2
Key date: 4 April 2018

Week 4: Called Sept 28, 2018
Option 1
8. Read a book with MCs at different ends of wealth or social status from one of Jane's Compulsory Lists

Option 2
Key date: 28 March 2018

Week 3: Called Sept 21, 2018
Option 1
7. Read a book tagged with 'magic' (does not have to be a main page genre)

Option 2
Key date: 21 March 2018

Week 2: Called Sept 13, 2018
Option 1
9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of Jane's Compulsory Lists

Option 2
Key date: 14 March 2018

Week 1: Called Sept 5, 2018
Option 1
11. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless ~ from one of Jane's Compulsory Lists

Option 2
Key date: 7 March 2018

message 10: by Chan (last edited Nov 16, 2018 09:15PM) (new)

message 11: by Chan (last edited Sep 01, 2018 07:22PM) (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Hello There!

My name is Chan and I live on the East Coast in the U.S.A. My creativity well is a little empty from being overused this past week, so I'm at a loss for team names at the moment.

Any ideas?
Pirates of Romance???

okay...i got a couple more

read as we may
our love, WILL be requited
when i went to GR
spurn not the love readers
in vain to us you speak while we read
go away, nonreader

Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (sarahphalen) | 565 comments Hello Everyone!

My name is Sarah and I live in Toronto, Canada. I am unfamiliar with Gilbert and Sullivan, but have been looking at song titles and here are a few team names...

Stop, Ladies, Read!
Maidens Fair To Read

Sorry creativity is failing me tonight, I may need ti sleep on it a bit :)

message 13: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Mighty maidens with a mission?

I also like stop ladies, read and pirates of romance

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments Hi all, checking in.

I like pirates of Romance for a team name :-)

message 15: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Hi Sarah, Stacie & Nikk. Nice to virtually meet you.

Sarah, I have a friend who recently moved to Canada to attend University of Toronto. She is loving the university and the area. She says it's beautiful.

Team names - so far we have:
Pirates of Romance
read as we may
when i went to GR
go away, nonreader
Stop, Ladies, Read!
Maidens Fair To Read

Let's see if Grace and Scarlett have anything to add.

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1403 comments Hi Team 8. I'm Grace and from San Diego, California. I'm on West Coast time, which is really nice for theme calls.

I'm not so good with team names, but my two favorite are:
Pirates of Romance
Stop, Ladies, Read!

message 17: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Ian (scarlett_ian) | 160 comments Hi All! I'm Scarlett, I live in North Carolina & I'm often hit with random spurts of creativity; however - this is not one of those times. Of the options everyone came up with I really like Pirates of Romance with Stop, Ladies, Read a close second.

message 18: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments it looks like everybody has checked in. Time to pick a name.

Pirates of Romance
read as we may
when i went to GR
go away, nonreader
Stop, Ladies, Read!
Maidens Fair To Read
Mighty Maidens with a Mission

So let the voting begin...

message 19: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Pirates of Romance seems to be the #1 choice

message 20: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Pirates of Romance it is...
I'll get this in to Jane

message 21: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Hey Everybody!

We got an early theme call. I'm so excited!
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 22: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Selection Post
Book link: Thrown Down
Page numbers: 219
How the book qualifies: #159 - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Thrown Down (Made in Jersey, #2) by Tessa Bailey

message 23: by Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (last edited Sep 05, 2018 05:15PM) (new)

Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (sarahphalen) | 565 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Selection Post
Book link: Tell Me Your Secrets... (It was a Dark and Sexy Night) by Cara Summers
Page numbers: 245
How the book qualifies: #7 Adopted Romance Leads Who Were Adopted

Tell Me Your Secrets... (It was a Dark and Sexy Night) (Harlequin Blaze #286) by Cara Summers

message 24: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Week 1 Selection Post
Task #11: Option 1. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless
Retrieval (The Retrieval Duet, #1) by Aly Martinez
Book: Retrieval
Pages: 253
How it fits: #154 on Best Romance with A Single Parent

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments I know which book I will be reading and quite excited for it. I will post my proper selection post when I get home to my computer

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Selection Post
Book link: Naked in Death
Page Numbers: 316
How the book qualifies: #22 on All Grown Up: Romance Novels Featuring Former Foster Children Finding Love
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb

message 27: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "I know which book I will be reading and quite excited for it. I will post my proper selection post when I get home to my computer"

ooh...you're reading book 1. All of my GR friends are on book 100 in this series (okay more like book 15). I plan to start this series soon, but I'm excited to get someone's current perspective of book 1.

message 28: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments I want to do a re-read of that one day but since I'm way in the 40s, it's a HUGE committment and there are so many other books LOL.

message 29: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Stacie wrote: "I want to do a re-read of that one day but since I'm way in the 40s, it's a HUGE committment and there are so many other books LOL."

See...book 40. LOL! I couldn't imagine rereading a 40 -50 book series. It must be really good.

message 30: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments I like it! The best part (at least the part that makes me laugh) is the series itself takes place over maybe three years so far. 45 books, three years. Cracks me up

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments Actually I just finished Book 19 last night but it’s been so long since I read book 1 that I really want to go back to the beginning of Dallas and Roarke :-p

message 32: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "Actually I just finished Book 19 last night but it’s been so long since I read book 1 that I really want to go back to the beginning of Dallas and Roarke :-p"

Booo...it doesn't count. Your not a newbie. LOL. J/k. but it will be interesting to see if your perspective has changed.

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments Stacie wrote: "I like it! The best part (at least the part that makes me laugh) is the series itself takes place over maybe three years so far. 45 books, three years. Cracks me up" I know what you mean. The last 5 books I have read all seem to be set in Summer 2059. I am wondering if it will be autumn yet when I pick up book 20 😂

message 34: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1403 comments I'm trying to decide on which book to read...I keep going back and forth between a couple books...so I'll have to think about it some more.

message 35: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Grace wrote: "I'm trying to decide on which book to read...I keep going back and forth between a couple books...so I'll have to think about it some more."

No worries. We got an early theme call, so you have plenty of time to waffle :o)

message 36: by Chan (last edited Sep 07, 2018 01:33PM) (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Completion Post
Book link: Thrown Down
Rating: 🌻🌻🌻
Review:
I was hoping for an improvement with book 2, but I gave myself a headache with all of the eye rolling
description/

Readers comment so highly of Tessa Bailey and she doesn’t do it for me
description/

River and Vaughn are high school sweethearts. She is the town’s most likely to succeed and he is the bad boy. Stuff happens and Vaughn goes away. He finds out that River and him made a child together and returned to Hook to make things right.

The story was superficial. The attempt at angst was inconsequential. And the sex scenes
description/

I won’t continue with the series, but I don’t think I’m quite ready to give up on Bailey. I may try a different book....next year sometime.

Thrown Down (Made in Jersey, #2) by Tessa Bailey

message 37: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments Where DO you find your gifs Chan? I love them.

Do you have a whole library of specific emotions? LOL... To do this review would take me at least 90 mins, the first hour just reworking out how to do gifs!! ;)

message 38: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Ian (scarlett_ian) | 160 comments Week #1 - Selection Post

It Had to Be You (Chicago Stars, #1) by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Book Link : It Had to Be You by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Page numbers : 376
How the book qualifies : #24 on best romance with a single parent

message 39: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Jane (PS) wrote: "Where DO you find your gifs Chan? I love them.

Do you have a whole library of specific emotions? LOL... To do this review would take me at least 90 mins, the first hour just reworking out how to ..."

hahahaha...library of gif emotions.

90 minutes? pfft i don't believe that for a second.

message 40: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1403 comments Week 1
Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain, #2) by Kristen Ashley
Sweet Dreams by Kristen Ashley
562 pgs per GR
Qualification: #1 on best romance with a single parent

message 41: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1403 comments Never mind, I'm going to switch.

message 42: by Grace (last edited Sep 08, 2018 05:52PM) (new)

Grace | 1403 comments Week 1
Option 2
Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10) by Ilona Andrews
Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
336 pgs per GR
Qualification: Read by Nikk on 8-30-2018, 5 stars

message 43: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Grace wrote: "Never mind, I'm going to switch."

Was it the page number that scared you away from your first selection :o)

message 44: by Grace (new)

Grace | 1403 comments Chan wrote: "Grace wrote: "Never mind, I'm going to switch."

Was it the page number that scared you away from your first selection :o)"

Honestly, yes :) Kristen Ashley is always hit and miss for me and I haven't really been in the mood for a long book.

message 45: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21328 comments LOL!

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon AKA NixieNut  (sapphireddragon) | 578 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Completion Post
Bookcover/link: Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb Naked in Death
Rating (1-5): 5 stars
Review
This was the second time I have read this book ( the first time over 4 years ago) and still I was glued to the pages from beginning to end. Even though I knew whodunnit and how. This book still kept me enthralled from the very first page. I and currently at book 19 of this series so going back to the beginning of Dallas and Rourke and being reminded where it all began was a real treat. Although this is a book and essentially a set up for the rest of the series, it really doesn't read like it. The action starts straight away and its the mystery and the murders that take front and centre on the story stage but threading around it and strengthening the story as a whole a whole lot of little threads that and these were the ones subtly setting up the series in the back ground. As usual for JD Robb books, this was an absolutely riveting read and I managed to finish it in just a couple of sittings. I am so glad I came back to revisit this book and have extended the star to 5 in the light of this reread

Sarah {The Bookish Knitter} (sarahphalen) | 565 comments Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 - Completion Post

Tell Me Your Secrets... (It was a Dark and Sexy Night) (Harlequin Blaze #286) by Cara Summers

Book: Tell Me Your Secrets... (It was a Dark and Sexy Night) by Cara Summers
Rating: 4 Stars

Review:
I am a fan of Cara Summer's writing and this book did not disappoint. It tells the story of Brook who has just found out she has a twin sister and that the two girls were separated at birth and adopted by different family's. Her twin, Cameron, has gone missing and Brook decides to pass herself off as her twin to try and find out what happened to her.
Brook gets involved with Sloan, who happen's to be her sisters fiance. But there is no funny business, as Cameron and Sloan are not a love match and are marrying more for business reasons.
There was some great intrigue in this novel and it kept me guessing as to what happened to Cameron. I very much enjoyed it!

message 48: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (thesebooksaremyfriends) | 1351 comments Week 1 Completion Post
Task #11: Option 1. Read a book with an MC who was an orphan or is homeless
Retrieval (The Retrieval Duet, #1) by Aly Martinez
Book: Retrieval
Pages: 253
How it fits: #154 on Best Romance with A Single Parent
Date: 9/10
Rating: 2 stars
Review:

First of all, this should not even be on this list but it is so I used it. The book bothered me on a lot of levels as it used what was supposed to be alpha male sexiness but actually read as a man not listening to a women say no and I was not down with that. We have another he wears her down until she says yes situation on our hands here and I'm so so tired of that trope. There is an interesting side story that will make me pick up book two because I'd like to see how that plays out but overall, not impressed at all.

message 49: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Grace wrote: "Chan wrote: "Grace wrote: "Never mind, I'm going to switch."

Was it the page number that scared you away from your first selection :o)"

Honestly, yes :) Kristen Ashley is always hit and miss for ..."

KA is a fave of mine, but you're right. Everything she writes is loooong. Even her novellas are long.

message 50: by Chan (new)

Chan | 4287 comments Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon wrote: "Week 1 | Theme 11 | Option 1 ~ Completion Post
Bookcover/link: Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. RobbNaked in Death
Rating (1-5): 5 stars
Review
This was the second time I have read this..."

Yes. action and suspense...my kind of book.
Is it gory? How was the romance aspect?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6