Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Archive (Team challenges) > PtP - Booking It! (2)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 228 (228 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 04, 2018 01:54PM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Team members

Maestro: ✔ GreenFairy

Ensemble:
✔ Stefanie
✔ KathyD
✔ Katherine
✔ WTF RUreading
✔ Ladybug

message 2: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:47AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments 1. Introduce yourself to your team. Let your team members know where you are from. This is a great to know when categories are announced and when team-mates can expect other members to post their book choices.

2. Team Captain - reserve a couple of posts in this thread tracking your team's book selection and completion. (Alternatively they could convert a chat comment to the tracking post/s.)

3. Name your team. Using this round's theme of GILBERT & SULLIVAN, come up with a fun name. We are an open/public group with no age limit, so please make sure any chosen name is smart, not smutty ;)

Please PM your name to Jane(PS) by 5 September.

4. If you have a private profile, please 'friend' your team-mates. This is really important, because without this, your team-mates can't see your shelves to select a books under option 2.

5. Please post your book selections/completions in the format provided below. (This format is also posted in both the Q&A and Sign-Up threads.) We need to know the week that each book corresponds to, the page numbers, and how the book qualifies including links to lists/shelves (where applicable), etc. I can't stress this enough. When in doubt - link it*!

* don't link to your review in your completion post - reviews in your completion posts should be included in full in that post.

You don't want to start reading a book and then find it doesn't meet the requirements because some information (eg page count or theme link) was missing from your original post.

I will be monitoring this and your book will not be considered complete until I am satisfied that your selection and completion posts comply with the format rules of the challenge.

Remember - you can ONLY change your book selection in the week that the theme is called.

6. You MUST check in with your team each week, ideally once the theme is announced. Please let your team know if you expect to have spotty communication or are on holidays or having an operation.

7. When you post the completion of your book, you must post a review; enough for us to know you have actually read the book. Please don't link to a review. You must post the review in this thread.

8. Re-reads are allowed but you can't read the same book twice within this challenge.

9. There is no prize for the winning team - bragging rights only :)

10. Each week, the theme will be announced in the Q&A Annoucement thread. The full list of themes announced during this round will be maintained in msg 1 of that thread.

The Rule on the Pass Option
* Each team can only have ONE member using their pass each week.
* Each member can only use that pass once each 5 weeks.
* This means that one or two team members (dependent upon the size of your team) will miss using a pass in each 5 week block.
* No-one can use the pass option in the last week of the challenge.
* In the final week if Option 2 is used, members must select their book from another team. This will be advised in the week 11 announcement.

message 3: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments Key selection and completion post information. You must have ALL elements in your book posts.

The format for selection posts Option 1:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
How the book qualifies - please insert a link to the qualifying bookshelf/list.
If the theme is based off the bookcover or a letter in the title etc, please just repeat the theme.

The format for selection posts Option 2:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Page numbers
Name of the team-member, their star rating, the date they read the book.

Format for completion posts:
Week #
Bookcover/link
Rating (1-5)
Review

Please DO NOT CHAT in these selction/completion posts. It needs to be super clear.

If you 'waffle' about your decided book - please REPOST your selection once you decide. DO NOT go back and edit your waffling post.

message 4: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments I'll be tracking each team's progress separately, using the Captain's summary in each team's thread to check for accuracy.

message 5: by GreenFairy (last edited Nov 09, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

message 6: by GreenFairy (last edited Nov 09, 2018 04:04AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Selections
Week 1: Complete
Week 2: Complete
Week 3: Complete
Week 4: Complete
Week 5: Complete
Week 6: Complete
Week 7: Complete
Week 8: Complete
Week 9: Complete
Week 10: my link text
Week 11: my link text

message 7: by GreenFairy (last edited Nov 09, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Completions
Week 1: Complete
Week 2: Complete
Week 3: Complete
Week 4: Complete
Week 5: Complete
Week 6: Complete
Week 7: Complete
Week 8: Complete
Week 9: Complete
Week 10: my link text
Week 11: my link text

message 8: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Team Name Ideas

message 9: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Quick overview of the challenge:

Each week a theme is called. If lists are posted, the book must come from the list (include list name, page of list, and number on list). All books must meet the requirements.

Selection post: Week #, theme, book, pages, how it fits

Completion post: Week #, theme, book, pages, date read, brief review (more than just I like/did not like it).

If you are unable to read for a particular week, we have one pass available (for each of the first 10 weeks). Only one person a week can pass. You must make it known you are using it for the week before the next theme call.

You can change your book you are reading. It must be done before the next theme call.

You cannot be reading more than two books at a time for this challenge. For example, When Week 3 theme is called, either Week 1 or Week 2 must be completed.

Starting in Week 3 I post updates about weeks not completed, selections outstanding, completions outstanding. I do this to make sure that I have not missed a post. It happens. I don't want someone to not be marked as not completed when they completed.

message 10: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Good evening, Team 2!

I'm GreenFairy, or GF, or Amy. I've participated in every PtP and have been captain since the 3rd one. I love this challenge!

Please introduce yourselves. If you don't mind, can I have your time zone? Also, we need to decide on a team name. Suggestions?

message 11: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments Hi Amy and the rest of Team 2! I'm excited to participate again...I think this is my fourth PtP round...my life got super busy last month when I accepted a promotion at work, but I still find plenty of time to read!

I'm not really good at generating team name ideas, but if I think of something, I'll be sure to post!

Finally, I am in the central standard time zone.

message 12: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 279 comments Hi I'm Katherine, or Kat, or Kath. My time zone is BST, so at the moment the time for me is 6:16 am. I've played a couple of PtP rounds before and I really enjoyed it. Ummm..... I don't know what else to say. My birthdays coming up soon on the 15th September.

So name suggestions (I'm not good at this part but I'll try):

Planet of the Grapes
Curiouser and curiouser! - (A quote from Alice in Wonderland)
Love that Positivi-tea
Booking it!
Team Un-bee-lievable
The book heads
Book Force
The dream team

message 13: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Hi team,

my name is Stefanie and this is my second PtP challenge. I am from Germany, so I am 6h (EST) ahead.

I love all kind of romance books and usually read them in English.

I am looking forward reading with you.
Bye

message 14: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Good afternoon, ladies!

KathyD, we're on another team together. Doesn't happen often, I think twice now. But we're usually in the same MNG group too.

Katherine and Stefanie, it's nice to meet you.

Stefanie, love the name suggestions. A couple I'm leaning toward myself.

message 15: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Bear with me. In July I was in a car accident. Injured my right arm. For an overall minor injury, the damage done is considered significant. I've made great progress but an accidental chain reaction incident reinjured it a little. So, if I give just short replies or don't respond for a few hours, I'm having an issue with my arm.

message 16: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Any thoughts on team name? I have to submit by end of day tomorrow.

message 17: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments I am not good at finding team names and fitting the theme 🤔

The reading sorceresses (refering to the opera)

message 18: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments You've given some good suggestions, Stefanie. We still have two that need to check in.

If they haven't by this evening when I return, I'll message them.

message 19: by Ladybug (new)

Ladybug | 177 comments Hi everyone! My name is Vesna, I'm from Macedonia. This is my fourth PtP and looking forward to our fifth challenge. My time zone is GMT+1.
About the name I keep thinking about Book Pirates, but I'll go along with whatever choice.

WTF Are You Reading? | 4 comments Hi Team
My name is Frishawn and I'm the newbie to PtP.
My timezone is Eastern Standard.
Most of the books that I read are review because I own a blog.
I really like the name Bookin It.
Thanks

message 21: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Yay! Everyone is checked in!

WTF, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

So, we're getting closer on a team name...

The Reading Sorceresses
Book Pirates
Booking It!

message 22: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments I like Booking It! also! =)

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 279 comments I like Booking It! too.

message 24: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Yeah we have a name, can‘t wait for the first theme ☺️

message 25: by Ladybug (new)

Ladybug | 177 comments Booking it it is then!

message 26: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 06, 2018 04:30AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Week 1 Theme

MC is an orphan or homeless

Option1...must use one of the lists.

Option 2 date: March 7, 2018

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 27: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 27, 2018 05:42AM) (new)

message 28: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 27, 2018 05:43AM) (new)

message 29: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 06, 2018 06:14AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Week 1 Selection

Theme: MC orphan or homeless
His Convenient Husband (Innamorati, #1) by J.L. Langley
134 pages
How it fits: Gay Romance Featuring an Orphaned MC, page 1, #85

message 30: by Katherine (last edited Sep 11, 2018 12:27PM) (new)

Katherine | 279 comments Week 1: Selection:

Book: The Snow Child
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Page Count: 423 pages
How it fits: Homeless Romance Hero or Heroine - #40, page 1.

message 31: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Selection Post Week 1 - Option 1

Book: One Night with a Hero
One Night with a Hero (The Hero, #2) by Laura Kaye
Page numbers: 173
How the book qualifies: #13 on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/4...

message 32: by ☘KathyD☘ (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments Week 1

Selection Post – Option 2
Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward (reread), J.R. Ward
Page Numbers ➔ 673
How the Book QualifiesThe Thief, J.R. Ward read by Stephanie on 4/12/18 – ✮✮✮✮✮

message 33: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Updated to here

message 34: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Completion post Week 1 - Option 1

Book: One Night with a Hero
One Night with a Hero (The Hero, #2) by Laura Kaye
Rating: 5
Review: Great story from stranger, hook-up to neighbour. I loved the chemistry between Joss and Brady. Kaye's stories always keep the balance between funny, steamy and emotional scenes. As I've started with the second book in the series I am off to read the first one :-)

message 35: by Ladybug (new)

message 36: by Jane (PS), Moderator (last edited Sep 10, 2018 12:47AM) (new)

Jane (PS) | 21320 comments WTF Are You Reading? wrote: "Hi Team
My name is Frishawn and I'm the newbie to PtP.
My timezone is Eastern Standard.
Most of the books that I read are review because I own a blog.
I really like the name Bookin It.
Thanks"

Hi Frishawn - you need to select your book for week 1...

message 37: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Week 1 Completion

Theme: MC Orphan or Homeless
His Convenient Husband (Innamorati, #1) by J.L. Langley
Rating: 3 stars
Date Read: 9/10/18
Review: It was an alright story. Drama between Micah and Tucker that had been building for years. The drama with Duncan was executed well and wrapped up quickly. There wasn't much of a resolution between Micah and Tucker that led to the reconciliation though.

message 38: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Updated to here.

message 39: by Katherine (last edited Oct 02, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Katherine | 279 comments Week 1: Completion

Book: The Snow Child
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
Date Read: 10th September
Rating: 3 stars

Review:
Alaska, 1920: the recent arrivals Jack and Mabel find themselves drifting apart, and so from their loneliness and despair they decide to build a child out of snow. This book was inspired by the Russia Fairytale, The Snow Maiden. The story was interesting but it got a bit boring in places. I found Faina an interesting character. However there were too many loose ends not explained. I wasn't sure by the end of the book if the girl was human or a child made of snow. :/

message 40: by Ladybug (new)

Ladybug | 177 comments Completion Post

Week 1
Option 1

Just the Way You Are (Lost Hearts, #1) by Christina Dodd
Just the Way You Are by Christina Dodd

Date Read:11.09.2018

Rating: ****

Review:
I'm used to Christina Dodd writing historical romance, so this was new for me, but she managed to keep her style even in contemporary books.
Hope and Zack were great characters. They had their little flaws like prejudice and fear, but the manage to get past them.
Zack has lost faith in people and resembles more of a machine than human being, but when he hears Hope's voice on the phone he can't get her out of her mind. Hope has lost faith in human kindness, but still manages to help people. When she mistakes Zack for his butler Griswold it's a start for an interesting story. Add to it her effort to trace and reunite with her siblings and it's a beginning of a great series.

message 41: by GreenFairy (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Updated to here.

message 42: by WTF Are You Reading? (last edited Sep 13, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

message 43: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Hi this week's theme is early!!! And as I will be off to my weekend in a few min, I will already post my selection.

Have a nice weekend

message 44: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie | 201 comments Selection Post Week 2 - Option 1
Theme: beta MC
Book: Dream Nights with the CEO
Dream Nights with the CEO (Secret Desires, #1) by Kathy Lyons
Page numbers: 276
How the book qualifies: #44 on https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

message 45: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 279 comments Week 2: Selection:

Theme: Beta MC
Book: Alien Mate 3
Alien Mate 3 (Alien Mate, #3) by Eve Langlais
Page Count: 117 pages
How it fits: Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Romance Novels - #60, page 1.

message 46: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Sep 14, 2018 01:24PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments Week 2

Selection Post – Option 1
Raid (Unfinished Hero, #3) by Kristen Ashley , Kristen Ashley
Page Numbers ➔ 292
How the Book QualifiesNerdasms

message 47: by ☘KathyD☘ (last edited Sep 14, 2018 01:40PM) (new)

☘KathyD☘ | 3082 comments Completion Post – Week 1

Lover Mine (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #8) by J.R. Ward (reread), J.R. Ward – 9/14/18 – ✮✮✮✮✮
Review — This story is so overflowing that, in the hands of a lesser writer, it could become a muddled mess. However, a lesser writer did not craft this book and because of that this is another amazing installment in the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Rereading the series this year has given me the opportunity to really get to know the Brothers again...to reemerge myself in this incredible world. John is a unique character within this series since he is initially introduced as the Brother Darius. Darious’ time in the initial book is so short, it’s difficult to get a good read on him. When he returns as John Matthew, his kind nature could almost be annoying and create a flat character if it wasn’t for the fierce loyalty he shows to those he loves. For the most part, he’s an easy-going male, but cross someone he holds close to his heart and all bets are off! Xhex is anything but a flat character. Being half vampire/half symphath, she does not fit well into either world well. Xhex has an incredibly tough outer layer that makes her difficult to like at first, but as the series went on readers get a sense that she has made some painful choices to get where she is and that life has dumped on her time and again. Xhex, like John, is fiercely loyal; however, she is (technically) older than John and is more jaded, which causes quite the struggle for these two to find their way. Even with all the other stories going on around these two, they stand out and they stand strong.

message 48: by Ladybug (new)

Ladybug | 177 comments Selection Post

Week 2
Option 1

Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie

Pages: 391

How it qualifies: #14 on Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Romance Novels

message 49: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 15, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Week 2 Theme

Week 2

Option 1
9. Read a book with a beta MC from one of the following lists:
Best Gay Romance with Bookish Nerdy Geeky Characters
Nerdgasms
Nerdy Guys Are Hot
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Romance Novels
Nerdy Geeky Heroines of Paranormal and Science Fiction Romance Novels

If you use Option 1 your book MUST be chosen from one of the above lists.

Option 2
Key date: 14 March 2018

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 50: by GreenFairy (last edited Sep 27, 2018 05:44AM) (new)

GreenFairy (greenfairy429) | 1096 comments Week 2 Selections

Stefanie-Week 2 Selection
Katherine-Week 2 Selection
KathyD-Week 2 Selection
Ladybug-Week 2 Selection
GreenFairy-Week 2 Selection
WTF-my link text

« previous 1 3 4 5