Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Zorba the Greek
This topic is about Zorba the Greek
Archive In Translation > 2018 September: Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (last edited Aug 31, 2018 11:15AM) (new)

Lesle | 6287 comments Mod
Zorba the Greek (Greek: Βίος και Πολιτεία του Αλέξη Ζορμπά, Víos kai Politeía tou Aléxē Zorbá, Life and Times of Alexis Zorbas) is a novel written by the Cretan author Nikos Kazantzakis, first published in 1946. It is the tale of a young Greek intellectual who ventures to escape his bookish life with the aid of the boisterous and mysterious Alexis Zorba. 335 pages

Sydney (slknutsen) I haven't thought of this book in a long time. Never read it, so now I must!

message 3: by Claire (last edited Aug 31, 2018 05:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Claire  | 241 comments For those who can’t get a copy easily, you can find it for free (open source) https://archive.org/details/

If you want to read more, here are a few articles:
I
https://bestdanielle.files.wordpress....

https://www.scribd.com/document/33594...

https://livingwithliteraturee.wordpre...

https://journals.lib.unb.ca/index.php...

Claire  | 241 comments Hope a lot of you will be joining! Glad to see allready some of you join.

message 5: by Inese (new) - added it

Inese Okonova | 72 comments I am 20% into it and have no clue if I like it or not. :) It is a confusing read. I have not seen the film and I think it will be better now to wait and read the book first.

Is anyone reading it for the first time?

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Sep 12, 2018 06:55AM) (new)

Rosemarie | 8933 comments Mod
I haven't read the book but I did see the movie with Anthony Quinn as Zorba. He gave an excellent performance, but I don't know how true the movie was to the book.

Claire  | 241 comments Cphe wrote: "I've finished the read and have to admit that it took a while to get into it. From my POV I'm glad that I kept at it because I ended up really enjoying it."

Glad to hear that. I am currentely listening it and really enjoy it.

message 8: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rafael da Silva (morfindel) | 537 comments Mod
I started today. I read just the first chapter. I don't know what to expect from it.

Claire  | 241 comments Rafael wrote: "I started today. I read just the first chapter. I don't know what to expect from it."

Oh, I am curious to hear what you think of it.

message 10: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

In the chapter 2 we see a wise and sufferer Zorba. Like his national ancestors, a philosopher.

I guess I did not understand that story about tht two lovers. Why the boy laughs?

Claire  | 241 comments I figure the boy laughs because the story isn’t true. But I can be wrong.... just my opinion.

I have noticed Greeks give all kind of explanations for things they see in nature. I visited once the crib of baby Zeus, the palm tree where Apollo and Artemis were born under still exists today:-)
(One wonders if they believe them or maybe they just mock visitors? )

message 12: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

You could be right. Any greek member here?

message 13: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished it. great book, great characters. I felt sorry for the widow. She deserved not that death. Zorba is one of the greatest characters of the literature.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I remember the ending from the movie, Rafael. My daughter and I were both shocked and agree with you. In the movie, the old woman look like mean old witches, with their black clothes and ugly looks on their faces.

Claire  | 241 comments Rafael wrote: "I finished it. great book, great characters. I felt sorry for the widow. She deserved not that death. Zorba is one of the greatest characters of the literature."

Happy to hear you liked it!

message 16: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rosemarie wrote: "I remember the ending from the movie, Rafael. My daughter and I were both shocked and agree with you. In the movie, the old woman look like mean old witches, with their black clothes and ugly looks..."

I had never watch the movie. But since I read this book I want to watch it.

message 17: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Anthony Quinn is excellent as Zorba.

message 18: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Was he not young at the movie time? I thought that Zorba was a 50/60 old man.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

He was almost 50 years old when the movie was made.

message 20: by Rafael, Brazilian Master of the Bookshelf! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Really? Wow! I saw him in movies at the 90's and the beginning of 2000's and I thought that he was 60 or 70 old at this time. The movie is from the 60's?

message 21: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That's right. The movie is from the 60s, in black and white.

William Baker Zorba the Greek

I recently read the standard edition that came out some time ago. A translation into English from French, I believe. I enjoyed it immensely. Then I discovered that a newer translation is available from just a few years ago. This one translated to English from Greek by Peter Bien. Reading Bien's forward on the translation is quite enlightening. I eagerly acquired and read this version also and I must say I vastly prefer it to the older version. I feel it is much clearer. Yes, it is always difficult for translations to read smoothly at all times, that is the nature of translations. This newer version is so much more powerful and a more serious read, in my opinion.

Have others read both versions close together and can compare, or am I a mental case?

Claire  | 241 comments William wrote: "Zorba the Greek

I recently read the standard edition that came out some time ago. A translation into English from French, I believe. I enjoyed it immensely. Then I discovered that ..."

Translation is a real art. Sometimes a translation makes a great work horrible:-(