Aussie Readers discussion

The Paris Seamstress
This topic is about The Paris Seamstress
Archives > September 2018 -Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-The Paris Seamstress

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new)

Phrynne | 12599 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester The Paris Seamstress by Natasha Lester

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 72956 comments Mod
Happy reading everyone :)

message 3: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 02, 2018 02:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 759 comments I wanted to give it two stars, as I was sadly disappointed, (two stars being my 'I didn't like it' but also wanted to be kind, so gave it three my 'bleh'. This book started out so well and seemed so promising, but doesn't read like the finished article. I think it seriously needed a re-write instead of going to publication. A suspension of disbelief can only be stretched so far, and as well as Estella's reactions to be ludicrous at times, the story kept slipping into modernisms far too often, for example:

In 1939 the main character, Estella refers to 'comfort food' - a term that wasn't coined until 1966.

In 1940 Estella sits down to the piano to play a song 'her mother used to like' prior to 1938 - The Nearness of You by Ella Fitzgerald. But that version wasn't recorded until 1956. The song was written in 1938 by Hoagy Carmichael and Ned Washington and was in the Hollywood film made that same year, Romance in the Park, directed by H. C. Potter. The first actual recorded pressing of that song was made in April 1940 by bandleaders Miller and Chick Bullock, with the most popular pressing by Glenn Miller. Of course also in 1940, as was the wont back then, it was recorded by others such as Guy Lombardo, and most notably by Connie Boswell, who both inspired and influenced Ella Fitzgerald.

Estella also says, 'I don't need babysitters'. And whilst the actual term 'babysitter' was first coined in 1937, it feels wrong as the verb form of baby-sit wasn't coined until 10 years later in 1947, and it would be much more likely that she would have stated she didn't need any chaperones.

Then the whole structure seems to fall apart at so many points - almost as if the writer was in a hurry. The main character seemed weak, shallow, selfish, silly, and stupid. She was more sex-obsessed than kind-hearted, coldly thinking of such things when it was her actions that just caused the death of her own sister! Over and over Estella foolishly acted in ways which endangered everyone as if she was a surly 2-year-old instead of a grown woman. I grew to nearly detest her as I became increasingly disappointed and disenchanted with the rest of the story - and it started out so promising and well-written, too.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Just as well we're all different Jazzy! A definite 5 star read for me!

message 5: by Jazzy (last edited Sep 02, 2018 03:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 759 comments Brenda wrote: "Just as well we're all different Jazzy! A definite 5 star read for me!"

Ah but I study Jazz music and that was too glaring to let pass! There were plenty of fab jazz songs from the 20s & 30s she should have picked one of those. That's why I love Phryne Fisher !

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 506 comments I really loved this book, which I was surprised about because I wouldn't describe myself as having much interest in fashion....
Side note - listened to a talk by the author last week and she was a very good speaker if you ever have the opportunity to hear her!

Anyway, here is my review if you are interested at all :) (hopefully I've shared it correctly)
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Great review Brooke 😊 I really enjoy her work.

message 8: by Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (last edited Sep 03, 2018 09:23PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews (onewomansbbr) | 506 comments Brenda wrote: "Great review Brooke 😊 I really enjoy her work."

Thanks Brenda! Keen to read her others, just need the time to get through the always expanding to-read list :P

message 9: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Know what you mean 😵