Aussie Readers discussion

White Gold (Dan Taylor #1)
This topic is about White Gold
Archives > September 2018 -Final Thoughts-**Spoilers Allowed**-White Gold

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 12301 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) of White Gold (Dan Taylor #1) by Rachel Amphlett White Gold by Rachel Amphlett

message 2: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Brenda | 72282 comments Mod
I've read all this author's work - she's fabulous IMO!

Trish L | 123 comments White Gold (Dan Taylor #1) by Rachel Amphlett White Gold

Something about this title seemed familiar so I turned it up on Kindle and was told I had already purchased it. Not knowing this author I thought that was a bit strange. A ferret thru my orders showed I had downloaded it as a freebie last year.... lucky me. It turns out to be a well paced page turner, dealing with the issue of alternate energy, which of course the big oil and gas and coal mining interests do not wish to see succeed. Thoroughly enjoyed my time between these (virtual) ages. Yes, I could point out a few daft and dumb things in the story but that would be nit picking. I can envisage this book making a great action film.

message 4: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Great you enjoyed it Trish - and even better that it was sitting on your kindle ready to go!!

Kerri_M | 432 comments Have started reading this... and it is a little bit scary given the goings on in Canberra in recent weeks.....

message 6: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha! Enjoy Kerri :)

Kerri_M | 432 comments And..... finished White Gold by Rachel Amphlett.

Enjoyed overall, but there were a few instances where I just had to make a leap of faith and go with the author, stretching credibility just a little... But then, that is the nature of the action genre I guess, and we just have to jump in and go with it!

★★★☆

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I guess it is fiction Kerri ;)

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Sep 12, 2018 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carolyn | 8444 comments Oh dear, this one is just not for me. The whole premise annoyed me and I tried to suspend belief and not worry about the facts, but it just kept distracting me too much, so I'm with Kerri here. I've been looking forward to reading a book by Rachel Amphlett so I will try one of her later ones and see if I like that better. It seems to be popular on GR so hope others enjoy it more.

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm pretty sure you would enjoy her Kay Hunter series Carolyn :) Bad luck you didn't like Dan...

message 11: by Jenn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jenn (jumpapa) | 649 comments Finished reading this today.. I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be adding this author to my must read list.

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've read and loved everything she's written Jennifer :)

Carolyn | 8444 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm pretty sure you would enjoy her Kay Hunter series Carolyn :) Bad luck you didn't like Dan..."

I did like Dan's character Brenda, just not the plot. I'd be happy to read a sequel if the plots were more plausible as I could see him being an interesting character.

message 14: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Must find the time to get around to this especially after reading all your interesting comments!!!

message 15: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carolyn wrote: "Brenda wrote: "I'm pretty sure you would enjoy her Kay Hunter series Carolyn :) Bad luck you didn't like Dan..."

I did like Dan's character Brenda, just not the plot. I'd be happy to read a sequel..."

Under Fire is the 2nd in the series :) But Kay might suit you better!

message 16: by Rob (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob | 344 comments I've just finished this to. Have to agree with Carolyn. Needs to be read with a large pinch of salt. I found myself questioning Dan credentials for being the main protagonist. A part from being needed to dismantle the bomb at the end, which he couldn't do, he seemed to have none of the skills needed to hunt down a megalomaniac that's threatening the worlds environment.
For all that it was still an entertaining read.
3 stars.

Lee at ReadWriteWish (leeatreadwritewish) | 262 comments Just finished. Haven't yet written my review but I didn't really like it. Like others I found the plot completely unrealistic. That's the nature of the genre but unfortunately I also didn't like the author's style.

message 18: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

I enjoyed it but then I have liked all her books so far. There were some unrealistic bits but I thought it was well paced and action packed. I liked the characters and will be happy to read more about Dan.

message 19: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've really enjoyed the whole series!

message 20: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

All sitting on my kindle just waiting for me to have the time:)

message 21: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

And slot them into a challenge ;)

message 22: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lol! I am smarter than I thought I was. I already have the next one Under Fire in our October challenge!!!

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Haha! Good job!