Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
This topic is about City of Bones
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > City of Bones [Oct 5, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new)

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 5th October.

Elinor | 1548 comments so eager for this one :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments I made a start today! Only read the first chapter so far.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Just started tonight and read 107 pages / 7 chapters in one go. Really enjoying it so far!

I think the idea of Shadowhunters is really cool. I'm looking forward to finding out more about them.

So far it's quite predictable and definitely on the younger side of YA, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think if I'd read this between 16-19 it would have fast became a favourite.

There's been quite a bit of telling rather than showing so I'm hoping we can get into the world and see some cool things soon.

Elinor | 1548 comments I've read a few chapters as well, it's a re-read for me. When I read it something like 6 years ago I loved it. Problem is, I remember a few twists from the ending ^^"

Elinor | 1548 comments Chapter 3 (not really a spoiler I guess ? But anyway) : (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I've had this on my shelf for 9 years which is an embarrassingly long time!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Charlie wrote: "So far it's quite predictable and definitely on the younger side of YA, but I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. I think if I'd read this between 16-19 it would have fast became a favourite. .."

This!

You just summed up my feelings so far.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Elinor wrote: "Chapter 3 (not really a spoiler I guess ? But anyway) : [spoilers removed]"

Ohmigod yes that was so rude!!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Chapter 6 - (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Siobhan wrote: "Elinor wrote: "Chapter 3 (not really a spoiler I guess ? But anyway) : [spoilers removed]"

Ohmigod yes that was so rude!!"

And then in chapter 5 (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Elinor wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Elinor wrote: "Chapter 3 (not really a spoiler I guess ? But anyway) : [spoilers removed]"

Ohmigod yes that was so rude!!"

And then in chapter 5 [spoilers removed]"

Yes!!! I'm glad it's not just me noticing this. Priorities girl... XD

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Haha she's dead fickle. I think Jace is a bit of a duche bag but that's kind of why I like him, he owns it and doesn't pretend to be a super nice guy.

Poor Simon though! He's adorable!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Are you reading the infernal devices too or just the mortal instruments?
I really enjoyed city of bones and (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Yes we are going to read ID after the first 3 MI :)

Elinor | 1548 comments What do you think of Hodge girls ? First time I read it he gave me strong Dumbledore vibes, but not so much this time (but it's still really early so...)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I haven't read enough of him yet to form a real opinion but I like him from my initial impressions. He seems knowledgeable and patient so I can see the Dumbledore comparisons.

I'm 130 pages in now and I've got some feelings about Luke (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments I'm through chapter 9/end of part 1.
Pages are different in different editions, Charlie! So I'm not sure if I can open your spoiler.

(view spoiler)

Same as Charlie, I'm not sure on Hodge yet. He seems nice enough, but I hadn't even gauged his age yet. Now I'm picturing Dumbledore! 😂😂👍

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Haha I pictured him exactly the same way!

Siobhan we're at about the same place now I think! You might even be a bit ahead so totally safe to open my spoiler :)

RE Valentine, I have a theory (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Charlie wrote: "I haven't read enough of him yet to form a real opinion but I like him from my initial impressions. He seems knowledgeable and patient so I can see the Dumbledore comparisons.

I'm 130 pages in now..."

Oh yeah that's totally how I read it too. Pushing people away to keep them safe kinda thing.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Charlie wrote: "Haha I pictured him exactly the same way!

Siobhan we're at about the same place now I think! You might even be a bit ahead so totally safe to open my spoiler :)

RE Valentine, I have a theory [sp..."

That's what I said in comment 10 XD same wavelength.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm at the memory bit... those silent dudes are major creepy. I don't think Clary should let them in her head.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments God I've been reading chapter 10 for hours... No end in sight! 😂 Think that's where you're at Charlie?

Hate long chapters.

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm at the bit where they've just entered the graveyard place and seen all the creepy men sitting there. The chapters do seem to go on forever!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Again with the long chapters! I wish they were short and snappy.

Chapter 11: (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Chapter 12: (view spoiler)

Elinor | 1548 comments Siobhan wrote: "Again with the long chapters! I wish they were short and snappy. "

So do I ^^ I'm on chapter 8 ? I think. they are so long. But the Siege & Storm one are a bit long too (at least 2 chapters = 12% so that's long for me ^^) but I devoured them quickly... not what's happening here :)
I really like Simon though.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Yes I find the Siege and Storm chapters go by quickly whereas some of these drag, not all though. Don't want to be unfair XD

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Chapter 14: (view spoiler) 😂😂

Elinor | 1548 comments Go ahead and do it Meagan ! I'm (as usual) (do I even have to say it ?) a little bit late on this one so don't worry about reading alone :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments @ Siobhan

RE chapter 11 - That story really upset me. I always go on about how animal abusers deserve death, well I guess the prick got what he deserved in the end really. It's a shame Jace suffers for it though.

chapter 12 - I assumed it was her mother too. I mean who else would have done it?!

Chapter 14 - I prefer him that way too! You know how i feel about ratties!

@Elinor I'm not really feeling simon so far. I'm not sure why yet but I think the villains are more interesting so far.

@Meagan. Yay, come join us! I'm still reading.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments If you would like an ebook copy I can send you it Meagan, just let me know. :)

I knew you'd agree with those chapters Charlie!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! (view spoiler)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Finished! I really enjoyed this one. I think if i'd read this 5 years ago it would definitely have been a favourite. As it is, I thought it was a great fun read. I really enjoyed the world and I'm excited to carry on with the series.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Chapter 20. (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Does it bother anyone else that the (view spoiler)

(not really a spoiler, just a minor detail gripe).

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 20"

I wasn't expecting either of those things! It's always nice to be surprised :).

Siobhan wrote: "Does it bother anyone else that the [spoilers removed]

(not really a spoiler, just a minor detail gripe)."

Yes!! I just imagined loads of drunken chavs.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Hahaha thank you!!

message 39: by Siobhan (last edited Oct 19, 2018 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Charlie wrote: "I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! [spoilers removed]"

Ah man that's a shame it was spoiled for you. Though wait a minute, haven't you seen the film? 😂

Chapter 23 was insane! This book definitely got better the further in I got. But hell, even the epilogue was longggg! Haha. 3.5 stars because I struggled with it in the beginning, everything was a bit easy and obvious. But like I say, definitely improved.

End of book spoilers (view spoiler)

Definitely will continue the series, interested to see where it goes. :)

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! [spoilers removed]"

Ah man that's a shame it was ..."

It's not in the film, at least not as far as I can remember!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Charlie wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! [spoilers removed]"

Ah man that's..."

Ooh that's interesting! Seems like an important part!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments I mean I saw it years ago when it came out and my memory isn't reliable at all so don't take my word for it!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Haha don't worry, you know how bad my memory is!

Angela Jr. | 995 comments Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! [spoilers removed]"

Ah man that's a shame it was ..."

Re luke
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Charlie wrote: "I'm 20 pages away from finishing! I read a load of this last night and some more this morning on my commute. It's getting so good! [spoilers removed]"

Ah man that's..."

Hehe definitely! I'm glad you agree! ❤️

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments Meagan wrote: "50% in and loving Simon's sass"

He's quite fun. I don't love Simon, but I don't love Jace either. My favourite character is probably the cat!

Charlie (charlieridley) | 4553 comments You're nearly there Meagan!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments How you finding it Meagan? :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7859 comments That's fab! Glad you're liking it. I enjoyed the fast pace too.

Elinor | 1548 comments I'm finally done ! And I didn't enjoy it as much as the first time xD to be fair I remembered the 2 big twists : (view spoiler)
Also I'm not a big fan of Clary. She is supposed to be bad-ass (well at least at the end of the book) but the only thing she ever do is throwing a freaking dagger ONCE (and (view spoiler)). I hope she will really become a true bad-ass in the next books :) I also hope that Isabelle is going to be more interesting cause I didn't loved the insta-hate because of mutual interest on Jace (well I guess).
On the plus side, I really liked :
- Alec + Magnus ! I can so see them together ! I'M SHIPPING !
- Simon, I like his character
So, yeah, not as good as the first time, but I still have hopes for the rest of the series :)

(strangely enough, I remember a scene I didn't quite understand in the Institute but this scene never happened here ! so strange !!)

« previous 1