This topic is about Wuthering Heights
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Wuthering Heights [September 2018}

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angela, I'm Silverfox lost (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angela | 3603 comments Mod
Buddy read starts 24th September.

message 2: by Zaara (last edited Aug 30, 2018 11:30PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4273 comments Oh Cathy Cathy...my heart's darling...how shall I live...how endure...come back...come back....where are you?

Ahem...
In!

message 3: by Virginie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 01:15AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Virginie | 5795 comments IN! :)

Can't believe I've never read this book.

message 4: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Here I am...please cheer me on guys so I will find the time to read this ;) this is all your fault anyway

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Wow, we got a following! Yay! Gonna be a great read. This has been on my tbr list for AGES. I need to just get 'er done!

Laura Tenfingers | 1125 comments Oh dear... I really want! I've listened to this but really want to read it. I'll go for a very hopeful maybe.

Beste | 1163 comments Anyone around?

message 8: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Not yet, I'll probably start in a few days.

Virginie | 5795 comments Same as Bea :)

message 10: by Mopple (new) - added it

Mopple | 1 comments hello is this starting?

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I actually started it but only read 2 chapters. The official date isn't till end of September so i didn't want to get too far ahead.

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 2052 comments Started today. I don't even know what this is about 0_0 but we'll see.
I'm planning to read two chapters a day, this way I can fit it in well with my other reads

Virginie | 5795 comments Started today as well :)

Beste | 1163 comments Pls don't go far in the book, I will be here in two days :)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I started as well. About 2 chapters in.

Zaara | 4273 comments Chapter 3
(view spoiler)

Zaara | 4273 comments Beste wrote: "Pls don't go far in the book, I will be here in two days :)"

I'll hang around to chat abt this even if you are reading two MONTHS later....sweetz....

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I am on chapter 7. I started reading the cliff notes along side the chapters so I'm going slow.

Zaara | 4273 comments Cool. I'm typically much faster on rereads tho'...but I will do Riyria first....

Beste | 1163 comments I finished this over the weekend. I don't question much of Bronte sisters deaths. If they wrote what they saw around themselves thats really inhabitable for the likes of me.
This book too squeezed my lungs perhaps livers and other vital organs too. And then it twisted them like a housewife washing clothes in the 18th century.
I couldn't decide between weeping and throwing the book around so I did nothing and I still carry that heaviness on my chest. Last time this happened we were reading Villette. (Not even Anna Karenina slapped me this strong).

message 21: by Beste (last edited Oct 01, 2018 12:27AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beste | 1163 comments One of the moments that got me both angry and sad (and perhaps all the other emotions that stands between the two).
(view spoiler)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments I'm at chapter 15 and my God do I hate the main characters. How is this a love story? There both absolutely horrible people.

Beste | 1163 comments This is anything besides love; obsession, hatred, longing, lust, despair, resentment, grieving .........

Zaara | 4273 comments @Beste...wow!
#readingexpress
Glad you liked it. I grew up with this book. I have the ugliest candy pink illustrated hardcover from Classic Library. I cannot find this edition on Goodreads...maybe it is OOP. It has the ugliest illustrations by Andy Tudor but the paper quality is that amazing buttery kind and I had it since I was 8 years old...my father took all us cousins to a bookshop somewhere in London and asked us to choose a book each. My cousins bought Jules Verne and Huck Finn, I remember this so clearly bcuz it was so rare...my being out with my Dad. And I picked this one...obviously now I can see it was bcuz of the candy pink cover and garish illustrations...bad nineties throwback to the 1840s. And he looked at our choices and it was one of the few times he ever actually LOOKED at me...at ME the person...and he said how I scare him..."you scare me sometimes," he said.
Never forgot it.
Of course decades later so did my professor of philosophy, but in an entirely more complimentary tone, Beste. So yea, possibly the ugliest book on my shelves but very well-thumbed. I do love my uglies. Hope you'll stick around to chat.

@Di...
Got to CHAPTER 10 (view spoiler)

Zaara | 4273 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm at chapter 15 and my God do I hate the main characters. How is this a love story? There both absolutely horrible people."

Nobody is likeable except Nellie and even she has a bit of a mean streak. It's the angst, I guess.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3909 comments Nellie is a gossip. She's enjoying way too much talking about these people. Not a single one of these people is likable.

Beste | 1163 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Nellie is a gossip. She's enjoying way too much talking about these people. Not a single one of these people is likable."

Well it all started with her gossip.

I really pity the second generation:S

Beste | 1163 comments Zaara wrote: "@Beste...wow!
#readingexpress
Glad you liked it. I grew up with this book. I have the ugliest candy pink illustrated hardcover from Classic Library. I cannot find this edition on Goodreads...maybe ..."

My kid would scare me too if she chose Wuthering Heights over Jules Verne :))))
Though perhaps it has a total different effect on you now. I remember reading Anna Karenina when I was like 12-13, it didn't touch me. I probably said, oh its a nice Russian novel. But now ...

message 29: by Zaara (last edited Oct 09, 2018 12:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zaara | 4273 comments :-) i finished.

I am waiting for Diana to return from her nice vacation in England before I hit her with my angstanalyticalromanticrapshitshowy essay with reams and reams and wads of stuff....

Oh and a prophecy...Diana is never gonna come back now in fear of her life :-)

What were your favourite parts in the book and where is the Evil Empress?

The amount of mental and emotional cruelty these two bestow upon each other in the name of love!
😱
Oh and let me regale you (not) with the stories of my own early (and damn crap) literary efforts and how they...I didnt even know how deep this damn book went into my psyche.
And yeah @Beste....I was one hellion DEMON child! You WILL not believe some of the school stories :-)))) heck, you will not believe ANY of the stories,,,not a single one.

Ahem...
At least (view spoiler)