Aussie Readers discussion

Archives > BAD: Sydney Crime Writers Festival

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 391 comments Has anyone been to this event in previous years, or is planning on going to this years event? It's on this weekend (31Aug-2Sep, 2018). I am interested in what attendees thought of the event. If it's good, I might make plans to attend next year.

I only found out about it this week and taking a look at the program, I am not familiar with many of the speakers.

http://www.badsydney.com/

Thanks,
Em

message 2: by Suz (new)

Suz | 3603 comments I attended and I thought it was worthwhile. I only attended one of the sessions and it was great. Fiona Higgins convened a session of new writers including Susi Fox, and two others (sorry the books are at home and I am out at the moment). I would recommend you go next year. The venue was great too.

message 3: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments The dates for BAD this year are 6-8 Sept with the program to be released in July (see Em's link above for more info).
I'm interested in going this year. Anyone else?

message 4: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments You'll laugh, Carolyn, but I volunteered at BAD last year :D

Only for the Saturday and I didn't know any of the authors though from there, I found Anna Snoekstra & Jack Heath - I missed Candice Fox (she's there the next day - I was so disappointed). The one face I actually recognised was Geoffrey Rush and he was there as a patron ha ha ha

But truly, whether you knew the authors or not, it's a very interesting festival esp if you enjoy your crime/mysteries.

I'm hoping to volunteer again this year if I manage to catch the call-out :)

message 5: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Suzanne wrote: "I attended and I thought it was worthwhile. I only attended one of the sessions and it was great. Fiona Higgins convened a session of new writers including [author:Susi Fox|1747876..."

Actually, I think I caught this session... last year, right? I think Anna Snoekstra was on this panel too?

message 6: by Suz (new)

Suz | 3603 comments Tien wrote: "Suzanne wrote: "I attended and I thought it was worthwhile. I only attended one of the sessions and it was great. Fiona Higgins convened a session of new writers including [author:..."

Yes!

message 7: by Suz (new)

Suz | 3603 comments Tien wrote: "You'll laugh, Carolyn, but I volunteered at BAD last year :D

Only for the Saturday and I didn't know any of the authors though from there, I found Anna Snoekstra & [author:Jack H..."

I met Jack very briefly and said hi.

message 8: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments Tien wrote: "You'll laugh, Carolyn, but I volunteered at BAD last year :D

Only for the Saturday and I didn't know any of the authors though from there, I found Anna Snoekstra & [author:Jack H..."

Will definitely check out the program when it comes out. Sounds like fun.

message 9: by Carolyn (last edited Jul 22, 2019 07:45PM) (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments The program is up on their website for 2019, 6-8 Sept at the State Library

http://www.badsydney.com/

I've booked a couple of events on the Friday (6th Sept)

message 10: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Ooooh... Sunday looks good.

Which ones are you going to, Carolyn? The Moriarty sisters?

message 11: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments I've booked for one on forensics and one on true crime podcasts. Tempted by the Moriarty sisters. Are you going to be volunteering this year?

There are also some interesting sessions on Saturday and Sunday - the debate on Sunday sounds like fun, but we'll be away for the weekend as my husband is cycling somewhere early Sunday morning (he's one of those MAMILs!)

message 12: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Carolyn wrote: "I've booked for one on forensics and one on true crime podcasts. Tempted by the Moriarty sisters. Are you going to be volunteering this year?

I want to but I haven't heard anything yet. Hoping they'd email last year's volunteers so I don't have to keep an eye out on social media ;p

"...my husband is cycling somewhere early Sunday morning (he's one of those MAMILs!)"

So's mine... LOL
Is he staying up late to watch The Tour?
I used to get to angry at him because he'd get up really early (ie. 4am) on Sundays to ride with his mates because he'd wake me up and I find it hard to go back to sleep. I've gotten used to it now though & sleeps through his alarm, thank goodness!

message 13: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments Yes, we've been watching a lot of le Tour. I guess I've got used to it too and it gives me a good excuse to go to bed and read a good book ;)
He also gets up early on Sunday to ride with his local club, but has got much better at sneaking out of the bedroom without waking me up.

message 14: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 391 comments I can't decide! So many to choose from but I can't afford to see them all. :-)
I enjoyed Katherine Kovacic's Alex Clayon Art Mystery books so I would like to see her in person.

message 15: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments It is hard to choose Em. Too expensive to go to all the sessions you want to hear :(

message 16: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments I've just got the email about volunteering :)

Please let me know if anyone is interested. DM me your email address and I'll pass it on to the coordinator ;)

message 17: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 8446 comments What's required Tien? Do you have to be there all three days?
I won't put my hand up this year as we'll be away Sat/Sun ( and I've booked a couple of events on Friday) but maybe next year.

message 18: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 618 comments Carolyn wrote: "What's required Tien? Do you have to be there all three days?
I won't put my hand up this year as we'll be away Sat/Sun ( and I've booked a couple of events on Friday) but maybe next year."

ah that's too bad...
Volunteering always depends on your availability... you just let them know what day/s or time/s you are available to help out. They'd usually do a roster and between all other volunteers, everything's usually covered.