Stephen King Fans discussion

The Chalk Man
This topic is about The Chalk Man
Other Books (Non-King) > The Chalk Man

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2595 comments Mod
Discuss The Chalk Man here. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments Super excited to read this!

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments I had to work 12 hrs yesterday so I began this. me & eddie have the same birthday. yay! you can definitely tell he was influenced by IT.

ElleEm | 260 comments Latasha wrote: "I had to work 12 hrs yesterday so I began this. me & eddie have the same birthday. yay! you can definitely tell he was influenced by IT."

I thought the same about being influenced by IT. CJ is a woman, though.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Oops! I should’ve checked. Sorry.

C.E.C. (milanesa) | 21 comments I just started it this afternoon, I'm about 10% in, and yes, the IT vibes are real. Also, Dick Halloran anyone?

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments Lol yeah! I caught that too

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments so far I like this. some of it is so rough to listen to. a lot of bullying, abuse and worse.

message 9: by Summer (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:02AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I read this earlier in the year and quite enjoyed it. It had an It crossed with The Body kind of vibe and it was a great read. Looking forward to the discussion!

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jen | 10 comments I just read this a few weeks ago. I liked it and I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks!

Jacob | 4 comments I definitely agree, very reminiscent of “It”.

Latasha (latasha513) | 398 comments I finished it. well... the original bits weren't enough to save this one for me. I gave it 3 stars. I didn't hate it but the love letter to IT got old and was laid on too thick. anyone else think Nikki's papa would've been a perfect cult leader or he was headed down that road? lol.

Jacob | 4 comments I agree that the book was very “It-esque.” I really wanted to love this book as it’s the first non-King fiction I’ve read in ages. I can’t say that it did that for me, but I did enjoy it. I think the author hit on some great themes of growing up, existential questions on the nature of life, and virtue.

The vicar definitely was on his way to being a cult leader and exemplified self righteous egotism masquerading as virtue. Ed’s Mom on the other hand was the complete opposite- silently suffering taking care of her husband during his illness and visiting the vicar to read to him. I do like how CJ Tudor provides such a great juxtaposition with those two.

It’s the rest of the story that feels weak and takes away some of what she does with the existential pondering.

ElleEm | 260 comments I read this one not long ago but the details haven't stuck with me. I found that the book kept me interested so I gave it a 4 star rating. I should probably downgrade that to 3 stars because not much at all has stuck with me and I have no desire to read it again.

C.E.C. (milanesa) | 21 comments So, I've gone past the halfway mark and I just realized why the chalk figures theme seemed so familiar to me: Brandon Sanderson's The Rithmatist.
We've got so many Stephen King elements and this one thing that, even if it (very likely) was unintentional, just keeps reminding me of the Sanderson book. It's kind of a shame? Because the book is pretty great, but I can't unsee any of it, and it wil certainly affect my rating/review once I finish it.

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I am starting this tonight.

Sarah (hbusarah) i'm about 80% through the book and i have no idea how it's going to end. it's definitely influenced by IT, which is one of my top 5 King books (yay!) i predict a 5 star review from me!!!!

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I finished last night. It was a very quick read. I enjoyed the book. I hadn’t read It since it first came out so it didn’t play a factor for me (making comparisons etc) but it reminded me of Summer of Night (but I thought that seemed sort of like It as well).

C.E.C. (milanesa) | 21 comments Just finished it. 3.5 stars, would've loved it if I hadn't seen IT all over it. That last chapter killed me, though (in a good way).

Marlise (mawz76) | 119 comments I really enjoyed this book. I liked the main character quite a bit and really enjoyed how self-reflective he was and also his observations of others all wrapped up in a sort of naivete at the same time, I feel. I really loved the ending, felt like there were no loose strings.

message 21: by Erin (new) - rated it 3 stars

Erin (ems84) | 2252 comments I finally got around to reading this. It was decent enough, I wasn't blown away by how it ended but it was a good debut from the author. I'll check out her sophomore book.

message 22: by Atl (new) - rated it 1 star

Atl (dark_leo) | 107 comments It’s in my audible library, perhaps I should give it a try.