Stephen King Fans discussion

2nd Round of King Books > Firestarter- Book 9

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new)

Angie | 2595 comments Mod
Discuss Firestarter here, please mark all spoilers for those reading along.

message 2: by Don (new)

Don Starting tomorrow! (finishing off The Dead Zone)

message 3: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 195 comments I'm very excited to read this one. I haven't read it in the past so it's completely new to me.

I've started reading several pages. I was confused at first with the "push" and the "tickle", but finally understood what it meant after Andy got into the cab. I had to go back a couple of pages and reread them.

message 4: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments I haven't read this one before and it's not quite what I expected. But it does remind me a little of one of my favorite X-Files episodes, so I'm looking forward to getting further into it.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments Summer wrote: "I haven't read this one before and it's not quite what I expected. But it does remind me a little of one of my favorite X-Files episodes, so I'm looking forward to getting further into it."

I love the X-Files. I know which episode you mean. When I first saw that episode, I thought if this book. Too funny.

message 6: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments What did you think of the movie they ? Started reading again today.

message 7: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 195 comments I've just read the part with the Manderses' farmhouse. Wow. Poor kid. (view spoiler)

message 8: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Hi Femmy, (view spoiler) She is stronger then you think, and a lot stronger then they thought possible.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 52 comments It has been a LONG time since I have read this one, so I am super excited to re-visit Charlie again! I own every King book except for 2, and this is one that I do not re-read as often as some of the others, making it 'almost new again', you know? I opened it last night and -whoops- suddenly I am already 85 pages into it....thus is the power of Sai King. ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments Femmy wrote: "I've just read the part with the Manderses' farmhouse. Wow. Poor kid. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler) King can draw kids for us like no one else This is my second read after many many years so I'm as in the dark about the upcoming details as anyone.

message 11: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I haven’t started yet and I haven’t read this since it first came out in paperback. So that must be well over 30 yrs ago!

message 12: by Glen (new)

Glen | 218 comments I just read Firestarter late last winter and it made me think about all these children like Charlie Magee, Abra Stone, Danny Torrence etc. that have (The Shine) and how they relate to another world of Stephen King’s we ALL know and love (well most of us) in The Dark Tower. These children have special gifts and are guaranteed to be beam breakers in another life.
I’ve also posted previously that we got to see Danny later in life in Doctor Sleep and imo it’s one of SK’s strongest novels. I’d love to see a Charlie Magee today, or an Abra Stone. These young children have to live with great power and with great power comes......you know what comes next ;)

message 13: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4135 comments I would also love to see Charlie as an adult, but I want a strong woman, not afraid of who she is. I'm afraid if King revisits her she will be... damaged. Substance abuser, something.

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments Kandice wrote: "I would also love to see Charlie as an adult, but I want a strong woman, not afraid of who she is. I'm afraid if King revisits her she will be... damaged. Substance abuser, something."

It is funny how Danny turned up as a substance abuser, that was disappointing even though his character was good. I guess that's just King recreating a world he understands intimately.

Also, you're right Glen, Abra was really great. Again, King draws children as an artist.

message 15: by Don (new)

Don So Im guessing the push is like the Jedi-mind-trick? :D

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4135 comments Don wrote: "So Im guessing the push is like the Jedi-mind-trick? :D"

Except Jedi don't get headaches and bloody noses from using it!

message 17: by Glen (new)

Glen | 218 comments No black horses stampeding through your head.

message 18: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 195 comments The scene in the rest area where Andy uses his mind trick was great.

message 19: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Yes an interesting mind trick unless you were the one getting brain fried and went to sleep for months on end. or you were Andy and nearly hemorrhaged your own brain.

Is it me or is it starting to get really warm in here? Poor chickens what did they do.

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments mrbooks wrote: "Yes an interesting mind trick unless you were the one getting brain fried and went to sleep for months on end. or you were Andy and nearly hemorrhaged your own brain.

Is it me or is it starting ..."

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

message 21: by Don (new)

Don mrbooks wrote: "Yes an interesting mind trick unless you were the one getting brain fried and went to sleep for months on end. or you were Andy and nearly hemorrhaged your own brain.

I just started the book, so I wasn't that aware of the side effects.

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I also just started.

message 23: by Don (new)

Don Its really good. I can see Stranger Things being based on this.

message 24: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments Just finished at 1 AM this morning. I have an opinion, but it's a real spoiler so don't look at this if you haven't already finished the book. (view spoiler)

message 25: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I'm almost 25% through. As always when rereading these I can't help but to compare them to the movies.

message 26: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Linda wrote: "I'm almost 25% through. As always when rereading these I can't help but to compare them to the movies."

Linda don't compare to the movie, the movie was lame and the book is fantastic. Yes I know I am expressing a personal opinion.

message 27: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I thought the movie was good. It's good to see that it follows the book.

message 28: by Don (new)

Don I dont watch movies anymore. They just seem to ruin every image I have in my head.

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished this book last night. I liked it okay, but it definitely is not one of my favorite King books. It took me longer than usual to read the book, which is usually a pretty good indication I'm just not as into the book as I am most King books. I think because I thought (view spoiler) That's a great thing about King though, some of his books that I don't care for most of his readers love (cough cough, Salem's Lot) and then some of the ones I love others don't seem to care as much for.

message 30: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments Amy wrote: "I finished this book last night. I liked it okay, but it definitely is not one of my favorite King books. It took me longer than usual to read the book, which is usually a pretty good indication I'..."

Which ones do you love Amy? Just interested.

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorites are Gerald’s Game, It, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Misery, and the short story In The Tall Grass. I enjoy many of his others books even if they aren’t my absolute favorites. There are a few I didn’t care for, Salem’s Lot being one of them.

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4135 comments Amy wrote: "My favorites are Gerald’s Game, It, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Misery, and the short story In The Tall Grass. I enjoy many of his others books even if they aren’t my absolu..."

I really like most of yours (not Pet Sematary so much) but also really love Firestarter. It really is funny how he appeals to people. ;-)

message 33: by Don (new)

Don I am 200 pages in and absolutely love it! I finished The Dead Zone before I started this one and that was really dissapointing. This one makes up for it!

message 34: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments Amy wrote: "My favorites are Gerald’s Game, It, The Long Walk, The Running Man, Cujo, Pet Semetary, Misery, and the short story In The Tall Grass. I enjoy many of his others books even if they aren’t my absolu..."

I'm with you on all of those Amy... really love It, Gerald's Game, The Long Walk, Misery, Cujo and In The Tall Grass.

message 35: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Oh dear Andy is back and he is pushing.

message 36: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments mrbooks wrote: "Oh dear Andy is back and he is pushing."

(view spoiler)

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments Yeah I'm at that part as well.

message 38: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments getting to the endgame (view spoiler)

message 39: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1022 comments I'm at the endgame. Should finish tomorrow morning.

message 40: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Tomorrow or Sat depending on what I have on, then it is on to I am hoping Strange weather. I have been putting it off for other books but I guess it is time to step up to the plate so to speak.

message 41: by Nick (new)

Nick Iuppa | 4074 comments mrbooks wrote: "Tomorrow or Sat depending on what I have on, then it is on to I am hoping Strange weather. I have been putting it off for other books but I guess it is time to step up to the plate so to speak."

It's worth a serious at-bat.

message 42: by Oscar (new)

Oscar | 30 comments I had never read this before or seen the movie for that matter, but while it's not one of King's best books, I did enjoy it. the father/ daughter dynamic is really well done and is the heart of the novel for me.

I am still collecting my thoughts so I will post more as the discussion progresses.

message 43: by Don (new)

Don I should finish it today. 70 pages left. Really love this book. Never seen the movie, so I did not know anything about it before reading it.

message 44: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments I am starting this tonight. It’s been a very looooong time since I read it last. I will go back and read comments later.

message 45: by mrbooks (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Don wrote: "I should finish it today. 70 pages left. Really love this book. Never seen the movie, so I did not know anything about it before reading it."
Don don't ruin the book by watching the movie not even rated a c movie. A very bad adaptation in my eyes.

message 46: by mrbooks (last edited Sep 17, 2018 02:31PM) (new)

mrbooks | 1469 comments Done and Charlie did it right Rolling Stones is the right place to go.

message 47: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 195 comments Finished. I love this book! I love that SK puts Charlie and Andy into a seemingly impossible situations to get out of, causing me to wonder during the whole story how everything is going to be resolved at the end. Love the ending.

message 48: by Oscar (last edited Sep 17, 2018 07:00PM) (new)

Oscar | 30 comments Yeah, I like the ending too. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) | 926 comments Femmy wrote: "Finished. I love this book! I love that SK puts Charlie and Andy into a seemingly impossible situations to get out of, causing me to wonder during the whole story how everything is going to be reso..."

I’m not done yet but it does have you on the edge of your seat. I love that.

message 50: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 4135 comments I don't understand the hate for this film! I know they totally fell down on the Rainbird character (casting), but other than that, I felt it was pretty solid for when it was made. I love George C. Scott in general, so was able to look past his white-ness. I also thought the rest of the casting was brilliant. I'm not sure it would be made as well today, despite better effects.

« previous 1