SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Midnight Robber
This topic is about Midnight Robber
What Else Are You Reading? > "Midnight Robber" by Nalo Hopkinson (BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 169 (169 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Allison Hurd | 13034 comments Mod
This is the September Buddy Read for the Inclusive Book Bingo (Caribbean Author).

You do not need to be participating in the IBB to read along! Who's in?

Same drill as always, please use spoiler tags and a chapter/page so we can follow along!

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments I’m in! Lucky me library has a copy. I think this is my first time reading Nalo Hopkinson.

Bill | 197 comments I just read this last week. Was my first Hopkinson book too. It has some really heavy themes but thought she handled it very well. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 4: by Ariana (last edited Aug 30, 2018 09:51PM) (new)

Ariana | 657 comments I am, but I'm starting to hyperventilate seeing Poppy War, Calculating Stars, Infomocracy, and this one all starting in 1 day.

What are people reading first?

message 5: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 999 comments I'm in! I got the audiobook a few days ago. I had no idea there was a buddy read for it. =D

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’m in but am going to read The Calculating Stars first. So give me a couple days...

message 7: by Anna, Circadian heretic (last edited Aug 30, 2018 11:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Ariana wrote: "I am, but I'm starting to hyperventilate seeing Poppy War, Calculating Stars, Infomocracy, and this one all starting in 1 day.

What are people reading first?"

I read CalcStars already, but the rest will have to wait until I'm done with Translateathon (Sep 2-9). I might try to sneak Poppy in at times during the week, but there's no way I'll get to Robber before the 10th. And Infomocracy is going to have to wait until State Tectonics is out later in the month. (Oh it's out on the 11th, damn.)

message 8: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah | 2610 comments Ariana wrote: "I am, but I'm starting to hyperventilate seeing Poppy War, Calculating Stars, Infomocracy, and this one all starting in 1 day.

What are people reading first?"

I was thinking my order would be: Calculating Stars (it has to go back on the 1st), Infomocracy, Poppy War and then Midnight Robber. Only because I’m already 65% of the way through Poppy War too. I don’t know if that’s helpful or not since I’ve already started half of them. I’m also reading Kraken.

At the very least- September is shaping up to be a great month for reading lol.

message 9: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Poppy War, Calc Stars, Tigana, Midnight Robber for me :)

Soo, I'm so glad you stumbled onto this!!

message 10: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) | 2285 comments I read Midnight Robber a few years ago and let my copy go, so won't join, but will follow along. It was indeed, at least for me, a very different book, and even though I didn't understand it very well or fully appreciate it, I feel that I can give myself credit for trying it!

message 11: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (gentlyread) | 85 comments I'm excited for this, and I hope to start the book next week. I began reading Nalo Hopkinson a couple months ago--The Salt Roads is my favorite book I've read over the last year. I've also been enjoying her short fiction a lot. So I was pleased to see this BR because it solved my dilemma for which of her books to read next. :D

message 12: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I want to join in, but I had to request it from the library, so it'll be at least a week before I get it.

message 13: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

We'll still be here, Amanda :) I likely won't have my copy yet by then!

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I finished The Calculating Stars last night and am going to dive into this today. I realize I may be the only voice here for a minute or two. I’ll do spoiler tags for sure. See you when I see you!

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Just wanted to say that I had read some of Hopkinson’s short stories and enjoyed them, so I had a good feeling about this going in. What’s especially impressive to me about her writing is the confidence that infuses it. She fully commits to the voice and setting and style of everything I’ve read of hers. I’m in the middle of the (very long) first chapter and am enchanted so far.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments In the middle of chapter two and it just keeps getting better and better. Hurry up already, folks! It’s invigorating to read something that feels so original and vibrant.

message 17: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aaghh I was gonna read Tigana first but this is so effing tempting!!

message 18: by Wen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wen | 401 comments I am in too:) but I haven’t finished Ukulele Jam yet. Anthony is so fast... And I am still so thrilled that I am in the group discussion. (Sorry, I am new here.)

Jemppu | 1730 comments wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though.

message 20: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hi Wen! We're thrilled to discuss it with you!

Through absolutely no amounts of coercion or peer pressure, I've just requested this book at my library and should join in this week! Can't wait to find out what Jemina (is it okay if we use your GR handle?) and Anthony are talking about!

message 21: by Jemppu (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jemppu | 1730 comments Allison wrote: "Hi Wen! We're thrilled to discuss it with you!

Through absolutely no amounts of coercion or peer pressure, I've just requested this book at my library and should join in this week! Can't wait to ..."

Yes, Jemina is all good.

Whelp. Guess I'm in then. Was actually just reading the preview there for breakfast, but seem to have gotten caught up in it. The language is indeed quite captivating, and an alluring way into the world.

This will be hard one to follow whilst also trying to get work done - will probably end up reading every sentence twice for it <:)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Jemppu wrote: "wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though."

I wonder whether the copy editor was given a glossary of terms or some sort of document from Hopkinson about the idiosyncrasies of her grammar and syntax. Because those copy editors can be very conservative, I have to imagine that this one was thoroughly debriefed or it would have been a nightmarish process of going back and forth between the copy editor and editor and author.

Glad to see folks starting to jump in!

message 23: by Gabi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabi | 3405 comments Jemppu wrote: "wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though."

That's helpful to know. Then I'll skip this one, cause my understanding of English is probably not good enough for it.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Gabi wrote: "Jemppu wrote: "wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though."

That's helpful to know. Then I'll skip this one, cause my understandin..."

I don’t think it would prohibit you from understanding it. Maybe click on the “preview” tab and see how you do with the first couple of pages?

message 25: by Jemppu (last edited Sep 04, 2018 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jemppu | 1730 comments Anthony wrote: "Gabi wrote: "Jemppu wrote: "wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though."

That's helpful to know. Then I'll skip this one, cause my..."

I agree with Anthony here. Read a bit of the preview, it gives a very good idea.

The language itself isn't hard, in that there would be much foreign words. It's just arranged differently and skips some 'unnecessary' words. In a sense simplified English even (very true to what I imagine the language could evolve / is already evolving into, in certain 'colonies').

That said. 'Gibberish' as it may first seem, there's a clear consistency in the whole vernacular, which I'm loving. Makes for a very convincing world.

(Indeed, anyone who got to proof read this must have been given a list of in world terms and intro to the syntaxes)

Still, takes a bit more concentration to actually remember to follow the story - not just marvel the speech.

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Jemppu wrote: "Anthony wrote: "Gabi wrote: "Jemppu wrote: "wow, this one seems to have a 'heavy accent'. Original indeed. Must've been a nightmare to proof read though."

That's helpful to know. Then I'll skip th..."

Total agreement!

Bobby | 869 comments Whew I almost forgot about this one. I knew there was a reason I didn't have anything lined up to read. Luckily I was able to get the e-book version from my library with no hold times, so I should be able to start today or tomorrow.

Jemppu | 1730 comments Random? Almost laughed out loud on a bus today for a line in the first chapter:
(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Yes, the dialogue is magnificent throughout.

In the early part of chapter 4 now. (view spoiler)

Nalo Hopkinson is a literary force of nature.

Bobby | 869 comments I got to read a good amount at lunch. I'm about 9% in according to my kindle and still haven't finished chapter 1. The good thing is there are plenty of breaks, just not full on chapter breaks.

I'm liking it so far. The voice and style took me a while to get used to, but I'm starting to figure out what everything means to the point that I don't have to think too hard about most of what is being said.

Spoiler up to 9% or page 32 of my kindle version: (view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I’ve seen trigger warnings mentioned in threads for other books. I think there may need to be some mentioned for this book. Can Allison or Anna give me some guidance regarding how best to phrase such warnings?

message 32: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sure! Thanks for thinking of that. I like to advise there may be some content warnings and then make a list in spoiler tags of common things that may upset people (rape, child abuse, body horror, transphobia etc). The only things I add other than the overall topic is if it's really graphic or implied/ "off screen" as that sometimes changes people's comfort level.

message 33: by Anthony (last edited Sep 04, 2018 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Ok so trigger warnings follow:

(view spoiler)

I hope that’s helpful. I recognize that I tend to have a pretty high tolerance for intense subject matter in books I read, but I know that’s not the case for everyone, understandably. Having said that, I’m finding this book especially compelling and wholly original and wonderful.

message 34: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Thanks, Anthony! Knowing what to expect helps.

message 35: by Wen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wen | 401 comments I am still in chapter one and I have not found a way to embrace the rhythm yet. It feels like I keep kicking into something on the road... Hopefully it will get better later(I guess I am not good with words >_<

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments This book is spectacular. And so very special. I just finished it. I can’t wait to hear others’ responses.

message 37: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 999 comments Robin Miles is the narrator for the book and she's great! I just started the audiobook and already love the way she is adding to the story with her narration.

message 38: by Jemppu (last edited Sep 05, 2018 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jemppu | 1730 comments Half way tree through now.

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Jemppu wrote: "Half way tree through now.

What a fantastically articulated response to what you’ve been reading. Thank you for putting into words the visceral nature of the journey this book is taking you on. It’s enriched my experience of the book all that much more.

message 40: by Wen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wen | 401 comments I am still in chapter one...

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments I love the sense of vibrant life that courses through this novel, even in the darkest scenes. It really is a stunning achievement, and gets even more stunning as I think back on it.

message 42: by Wen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Wen | 401 comments Anthony wrote: "I love the sense of vibrant life that courses through this novel, even in the darkest scenes. It really is a stunning achievement, and gets even more stunning as I think back on it."

Ahh, thank you for addressing it. I am not good with words and it seems everyone writes beatuiful reviews. I am not sure if I could fit in the group? but I'll try~

Bobby | 869 comments I'm up to page 82, or 23% on my kindle. The style is very unique, and I like it, but I'm still having a bit of difficulty understanding everything that's happening. I find myself going back a few pages to re-read every once in a while when I feel like I'm missing something.

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments @Bobby I think you’ll appreciate the role those mythical side stories play as you continue...

Bobby | 869 comments Anthony wrote: "@Bobby I think you’ll appreciate the role those mythical side stories play as you continue..."

You're probably right. I was just really getting into what was going on and I wanted to see what happened next.

message 46: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth (rosewoodpip) | 1685 comments Soo wrote: "Robin Miles is the narrator for the book and she's great! I just started the audiobook and already love the way she is adding to the story with her narration."

I was going to come in with something very similar to what Soo says here. If you have the opportunity, give the audio a try! Not very far yet, just the first chapter break in the audio, which is like seven minutes. More later...

message 47: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (gentlyread) | 85 comments Really liking this so far, and I've reached the end of the second (?) chapter (I'm at ~25% in), and I'm excited to keep reading.

(view spoiler)

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Megan wrote: "Really liking this so far, and I've reached the end of the second (?) chapter (I'm at ~25% in), and I'm excited to keep reading.

I’m so happy to see you all falling under this book’s spell.

message 49: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new) - rated it 4 stars

Can't wait! Book's waiting for me, and I'll likely finish Calculating Stars today. See ya tomorrow, when I can start clicking all these tantalizing spoilers!

Anthony (albinokid) | 1471 comments Woot! Enjoy!

« previous 1 3 4