Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > The Quiet American by Graham Greene 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yvonne (last edited Aug 30, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Yvonne | 102 comments I have not read much in the genre of espionage and I was a long way into the book before understanding why it is tagged as such. I rather liked this book which was published back in 1956. The setting is Vietnam during the war and the main character, Thomas Fowler, is a journalist who is living there, reporting, observing, and living his daily life. Two main stories are simultaneously unfolded, his love-life and his reporting life and the two lives come together with the character Pyle at the center. I gave it 4 stars because I like how the story unfolded, it expressed its political points subtly but definitely, I liked the writing style of Mr Greene, and the characters. Maybe I'll have to try to find & watch the movie version...

message 2: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Yvonne wrote: "I have not read much in the genre of espionage and I was a long way into the book before understanding why it is tagged as such. I rather liked this book which was published back in 1956. The setti..."

I loved this book and the movie.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6847 comments I really appreciated this book and vowed to read more Graham Greene and haven't.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've got the book on my TRB but I didn't know there was also a movie. Love your review and how the story unfolded for you. Sometimes those are the best.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6381 comments I gave it only 3 stars ... I would have liked more of the political drama and less of the "love story." The way these two men fought over Phuong made them seem like junior high guys.

Of course my experience was colored by the audio book I listened to. TERRIBLE narrator. I'd give the narration ZERO. If there are other audio books out there try one of those. Stay away from the one narrated by Joseph Porter.