Play Book Tag discussion

Beautiful Exiles
This topic is about Beautiful Exiles
Archive: Other Books > Beautiful Exiles by Meg Waite Clayton - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Booknblues | 6865 comments I wanted to be sure to get a review in ofBeautiful Exiles for those wanting a comparison with Paula McLain's Love and Ruin. I enjoyed reading Beautiful Exiles and hope to read more by Meg Waite Clayton. I thought that she did a good job of capturing Hemingway and the lingo of the era.

I like her representation of Martha Gelhorn as a writer and a person. She was funny, brave and daring. She didn't back down from what she believed in. She admired Hemingway from the first and moved from being a friend, to a lover, to a wife.

It was clear to me that Waite Clayton, did her homework and researched the book extensively. The book solely focuses on Gelhorn's life with Hemingway, from when they first met to when they divorced.

There were times, which I felt she went a bit into too much minutia. At those points it seemed to drag a bit. I appreciate that she wanted to clearly show what their lives were like, but some extra editing wouldn't have hurt.

Overall, I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading Love and Ruin to see another take on Martha Gelhorn.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I really want to read this to compare the two! Nice review!

Booknblues | 6865 comments Nicole R wrote: "I really want to read this to compare the two! Nice review!"

I hope you do. I want someone to compare notes with.

I'm interested in how McLain presented Gelhorn.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I have it on hold at the library so it might be a bit before it comes in.

Booknblues | 6865 comments I'm planning on waiting a bit before starting. I didn't want to jump from one to the other. I thought I would get to it sometime in September.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments When we both get to our respective books, we’ll definitely have to discuss!!

Booknblues | 6865 comments Deal and maybe somebody else will join in as well.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I just looked this up on Audible thinking I might use a credit for it, and I got it for $1.99!! The promo said it was because I already own the Kindle version (I do not) but I took advantage of it anyway!

I have a slew of library audios I need to get through first, but I bet I start This toward the end of September.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments I take that back, I DO have Beautiful Exiles on Kindle! It was a free download. Maybe it was a Kindle First not too long ago?!

Either way, I got the Kindle version for free and the Audio version for $1.99! I call that a win!

Booknblues | 6865 comments Nicole R wrote: "I take that back, I DO have Beautiful Exiles on Kindle! It was a free download. Maybe it was a Kindle First not too long ago?!

Either way, I got the Kindle version for free and the Audio version f..."

It was a Kindle first. That is how I got it.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Booknblues wrote: "Nicole R wrote: "I take that back, I DO have Beautiful Exiles on Kindle! It was a free download. Maybe it was a Kindle First not too long ago?!

Either way, I got the Kindle version for free and th..."

Ah, that explains it. I can't remember the last time I bought a Kindle book, but I do typically download the Kindle First. High five to June Nicole for predicting what September Nicole would want to read! lol

Theresa | 8368 comments Beautiful Exiles is currently $5.99 on Kindle!

Looks like I will be reading it too!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. It is so interesting to me the books on Hemingway and women who loved him. Iove Hemingway but he seems to ebb and flow in society as a whole. He could be simplistic at times but typically so complicated. While I love his writing I can not for the life of me understand why women fell for him.:) But I certainly love the historical fiction in regards to him. I'll have to add this to my TBR.

Booknblues | 6865 comments Rachel wrote: "While I love his writing I can not for the life of me understand why women fell for him.:)."

Really and his real weakness in his book is his inability to develop his female characters. I think this in part from his inability to see women as real people other than something which fulfills his needs.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Booknblues wrote: "Rachel wrote: "While I love his writing I can not for the life of me understand why women fell for him.:)."

Really and his real weakness in his book is his inability to develop his female characte..."

I totally agree.:) I'm going to read this book though.

Booknblues | 6865 comments Rachel, if you can fit it in by the end of September it would be great then a group of us could discuss it.