SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
This topic is about Infomocracy
What Else Are You Reading? > Series: Centenal Cycle by Malka Older ("Infomocracy")

Comments Showing 1-50 of 136 (136 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Sarah | 2610 comments Roll call for Infomocracy Buddy Read starting September 1st!

message 2: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I got it from the library and plan to participate.

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "I got it from the library and plan to participate."

Awesome! Glad you could join.

message 4: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 25 comments Love to join in -- will check availability at the library!!

Sarah | 2610 comments Kirsten wrote: "Love to join in -- will check availability at the library!!"

Yes please do! I didn’t have this timed poorly when I picked a date- but both my votes for the group reads won so I’m going to have a few books going at the same time. No rush here.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike Huh... turns out I own this. My TBR might be out of hand.

Sarah | 2610 comments Trike wrote: "Huh... turns out I own this. My TBR might be out of hand."

I think that is most definitely a sign you should join us!

message 8: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments My library has it available, so I'm in!

Ariana | 657 comments I am interested! A little swamped, might be a bit behind though.

Sarah | 2610 comments I'm still working on a couple other reads- but wanted to get this started anyway. I read through the first chapter (about 5% in). I'm really enjoying the world building and imagery.

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments I'm in the same boat with balancing a lot of books, but I've been looking forward to reading this for a while. I just finished the second chapter, which gets even deeper into the world-building.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "I'm in the same boat with balancing a lot of books, but I've been looking forward to reading this for a while. I just finished the second chapter, which gets even deeper into the world-building.

..."

Yes! I’m finding this really interesting. Chapter 2 also talks about:

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Agreed, so far the more I learn about the politics in this world the more questions I have!

Sarah | 2610 comments Chapter 4:

This is hard to put down.

(view spoiler)

Marc-André The vibe I got is that Information is a placeholder for a super-Google.

It is a search engine, collects data on users and is not government owned. Just like Google. The difference is that it is also a voting system.

message 16: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I just finished chapter 5. It's a really interesting book so far.

(view spoiler)

message 17: by Sarah (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "I just finished chapter 5. It's a really interesting book so far.

[spoilers removed]"

I totally missed this- but now that you've pointed it out I'm noticing it more and more RE:(view spoiler)

27% (Just finished chapter 8): (view spoiler)

message 18: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments I just finished chapter 8 as well.

One thing that caught my attention back in chapter 6 (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "I just finished chapter 8 as well.

One thing that caught my attention back in chapter 6 [spoilers removed]"

Hmm... I’ll have to go back and read that part. I don’t quite recall the context. But the other points I definitely agree with (view spoiler)

message 20: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Sarah wrote: "Hmm... I’ll have to go back and read that part. I don’t quite recall the context"

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Hmm... I’ll have to go back and read that part. I don’t quite recall the context"

[spoilers removed]"

Ahh- thanks for the assist. That was interesting, and I think if I recall correctly from Psych 101 that’s actually true.

message 22: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Chapter 9:

(view spoiler)

Also, one thing that's been bothering me, stylistically, (view spoiler)

message 23: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments So, I just read through chapter 11. I'm slow at these things.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "So, I just read through chapter 11. I'm slow at these things..."

Agreed! (view spoiler)

message 25: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "[spoilers removed]"

I’m also wondering about some of these other gadgets. (view spoiler)

65%
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments I finished this a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to post anything until now. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "I finished this a couple days ago and haven't had a chance to post anything until now. [spoilers removed]"

I just finished myself! Let me know if you want to buddy read book 2. I’d definitely be up for that.

100%
(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments My copy is almost in at the library. Are there any content warnings for this book?

Sarah | 2610 comments Ariana wrote: "My copy is almost in at the library. Are there any content warnings for this book?"

I think you are in the clear Ariana. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Ariana I forgot one scene. I wouldn’t qualify this book as dark by any means, but I don’t want to assume our boundaries fall in the same places: (view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "I think you are in the clear Ariana. [spoilers removed]"

Thank you!

message 33: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments @Sarah: I am waiting to get the next book from the library, but when it comes in I'd be happy to buddy read with you!

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "@Sarah: I am waiting to get the next book from the library, but when it comes in I'd be happy to buddy read with you!

[spoilers removed]"

Awesome! Do you know about how long the wait will be for book two? I think my library has them available right away, but I have a few things to cram in before then.

Sarah | 2610 comments Also- thanks for clarifying the ending there. It was late and I feel like I still have a ton of reading to do before October so it might have been in there clear as day and I missed it.

message 36: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments If y'all wait, I'll read the second with you.

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "If y'all wait, I'll read the second with you."

Awesome! Let me know what dates you all are thinking, I'll go add it to the master buddy read thread in case anyone wants to join us.

message 38: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments I am hold 2 on 2 books, so hopefully not too long.

(view spoiler)

message 39: by AMG (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments I just requested it. There are no other holds on it, and there are multiple available copies, so I should get it in a week or so. Then as long as we start it sometime in the next two months, I should be good.

I'll start prioritizing this book more. I had a bunch of "I have to finish it before the due date or I'll be on a super long waitlist again" books to finish, but I'm wrapping up a lot of my September books right now.

message 40: by Sarah (last edited Sep 13, 2018 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "I just requested it. There are no other holds on it, and there are multiple available copies, so I should get it in a week or so. Then as long as we start it sometime in the next two months, I shou..."

No worries Amanda- take your time. I have a bunch of stuff scheduled for mid-October. These seem pretty quick so I'm thinking early October and we can all join as we are able... does that work?

message 41: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Early October should work for me!

message 42: by AMG (last edited Sep 14, 2018 08:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

AMG (thenecessarysalamander) | 306 comments How about October 2nd-ish?

I got through chapter 23 today.

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Amanda wrote: "How about October 2nd-ish?

I got through chapter 23 today..."

Great points. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Kaa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaa | 1454 comments Yeah, thanks for putting that into words, (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2610 comments Kaa wrote: "Yeah, thanks for putting that into words, in terms of some of my feelings about Mishima. "

Oh interesting- I didn’t know those existed! I’m going to have to look it up.

message 46: by Meredith (last edited Sep 16, 2018 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meredith | 1352 comments I read this a couple years back and really enjoyed it. I liked the world that Older created and learning how it came to be that way.

(view spoiler)

I'd be up for a buddy read of Null States.

Sarah | 2610 comments Meredith wrote: "I read this a couple years back and really enjoyed it. I liked the world that Older created and learning how it came to be that way.

[spoilers removed]

I'd be up for a buddy read of Null States."

Thanks for the reminder! I meant to go post that in the buddy read thread in case anyone else wanted to join.

Also I agree- (view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments I finally started this yesterday! Better late than never, I guess. Null States was also in at the library, so I grabbed that too. If I can finish this one quickly I might just keep going and join in with the next one as well.

Sarah | 2610 comments Always a pleasure to buddy read with you Ariana! Let me know if/when you decide to start Null States and I’ll put the thread up and try to join you. My October is looking crammed at this point so going a little early wouldn’t be bad. I just don’t want anyone to feel rushed since some of us are waiting on holds and such.

message 50: by Anna, Circadian heretic (new) - added it

Anna (vegfic) | 9629 comments Mod
Great to hear that you're continuing the series, maybe I'll be ready to start it by the time you're reading the finale! I think it's best to keep the whole series in this thread. It's up to you if you want to list all books in the title, or name it Centenal Cycle and only list the book you're currently reading. I'll add Null States to the BR list anyway, it'll just point to this same thread.

« previous 1 3