Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2018 Challenge - General > National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month Reads

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eujean2 (new)

Eujean2 | 249 comments Back with another themed reading post.
I had in my mind that National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month was September. Turns out that it is actually September 15th - October 15th. Either way, are people planning any heritage month readings?

I have been not so patiently waiting to read Bruja Born (the second book in Zoraida Córdova's Brooklyn Bruja series). I guess I can test my patience for another couple of weeks. I also just borrowed Beautiful Creatures: The Manga from the library.

Other reads from this year that I just couldn't put off until September:
- Shadowhouse Fall (read Shadowshaper first)
- Her Body and Other Parties
- Wild Beauty
- Juliet Takes a Breath
All of which I recommend.

Anyone else?
Any suggestions for books by Hispanic-Latino (Latinx) authors?

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike | 443 comments I rather enjoyed The Distance Between Us by Reyna Grande.

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 247 comments Recently read Certain Dark Things by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. It was decent as far as vampire novels go. Great world building and gritty setting.

I’ll also be reading Infomocracy by Malka Ann Older this month.

And as a suggestion, I think it releases in September, Ink by Sabrina Vourvoulias (I probably spelled that wrong, sorry I’m in the app). It sounds excellent.

message 6: by Cendaquenta (last edited Sep 27, 2018 08:17PM) (new)

Cendaquenta | 694 comments I didn't know this was a thing, and I seem to have tragically few options with Latinx authors on my TBR, but I'll try to read what I can find:
Her Body and Other Parties ✔ - read 16th Sep
Hamilton: The Revolution ✔ - read 27th/28th Sep
Tell Me How it Ends: An Essay in Forty Questions (very much not a happy or celebratory book, but it's something I feel I need to read in light of what's happening at the USA/Mexico border right now)

message 7: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 940 comments Some recommendations that I read this year:

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (the audiobook narrated by Lin-Manuel Miranda)

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The Poet X

message 8: by Yanira (new)

Yanira (yani06) | 8 comments Just finished Her Body and Other Parties and loved it. Also read Conquistadora by Esmeralda Santiago earlier this year.

Starting El Heroe Discreto by Mario Vargas Llosa (someone from the group recommended it).

My favorites are always Isabel Allende and Mario Vargas Llosa. Love Mario Vargas Llosa over Gabriel Garcia Marquez (only thing worth reading from him IMO is Chronicles of an Announced Death).

There is a play by Alejandro Casona that has forever stayed with me, La Dama del Alba, that I reread every year. My favorite from back home is Emilio Diaz Valcarcel and Rafael Santiago, but it might be very local.

message 9: by Nadine in NY (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:07AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 6905 comments Mod
This one snuck up on me, because I've been planning ahead for Native American cultural month in November and forgot to look at the month I'm in! I'm really glad I saw this post, because I enjoy reading for the cultural appreciation months.

I'm currently reading a wonderful book of poetry (The Carrying: Poems) by Ada Limon, but I do not know if she's Latinx. The name seems like maybe?. Answer: yes, she is. I found this long list of Latinx poets:
https://www.poetryfoundation.org/coll...

I'm going to have to poke around and pick a few books to read especially for Latinx heritage month. I don't know what I'll read. This might be a good month to read In the Time of the Butterflies

message 10: by Eujean2 (new)

Eujean2 | 249 comments Great suggestions! I wish I had more time to read read more of these books.

I just found this on my local library website:
https://sfpl.org/index.php?pg=2001013901

They have reading suggestions for young readers, teens, and adults.

message 11: by Tania (last edited Sep 05, 2018 06:35PM) (new)

Tania | 574 comments I read a few books set in Latin America already this year, and have a few more planned.

Read:
Operation Tropical Affair by Kimberli A. Bindschatel, set in Costa Rica
The War in Nicaragua by William Walker
In Bolivia by Eric Lawlor

The best book I've read on Nicaragua so far, but not this year, was Blood of Brothers: Life and War in Nicaragua by Stephen Kinzer. In light of recent events it's a very relevant history.

Still Planned:
Disappeared: A Journalist Silenced, nonfiction set in Guatemala
Honor Bound by W.E.B. Griffin, set in Argentina
Ten Women by Marcela Serrano , set in Chile
The Seamstress by Frances de Pontes Peebles, set in Brazil
The Country Under My Skin: A Memoir of Love and War by Gioconda Belli, nonfiction set in Nicaragua

message 12: by poshpenny (last edited Sep 16, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1851 comments I've been away longer than I thought, which I didn't realize until I came looking for this thread! Thanks, heritage month reading buddies!

The Poet X was just longlisted for the National Book Award

Here are my choices so far:
The First Rule of Punk - Middle grade
How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents
The House on Mango Street
The Book of Unknown Americans
The Shadow of the Wind
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
The Water Museum
My Beloved World - by Sonia Sotomayor, narrated by Rita Moreno
Love Sugar Magic A Dash of Trouble - Middle grade

Already listening to Don Quixote
Dreamers Picture book I read the other day
Ghosts - Middle grade graphic novel

Cendaquenta wrote: "Tell Me How it Ends: An Essay in Forty Questions (very much not a happy or celebratory book, but it's something I feel I need to read in light of what's happening at the USA/Mexico border right now)"

This book is very tiny, and I only made it about half-way through before it was too hard to pick back up. I need to finish it.

message 13: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 145 comments Eujean2 wrote: "Back with another themed reading post.
I had in my mind that National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month was September. Turns out that it is actually September 15th - October 15th. Either way, are peop..."

I'm going to be reading Bruja Born this month too! I've been meaning to read it and finally got a copy.

message 14: by Tracy (last edited Sep 16, 2018 01:32AM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments Nadine wrote: "This one snuck up on me, because I've been planning ahead for Native American cultural month in November and forgot to look at the month I'm in! I'm really glad I saw this post, because I enjoy rea..."

Oh Nadine, I LOVED In the Time of the Butterflies. It was so good. I must have read it before I started Good Reads because I don't even have it listed here but I remember it so clearly that it was at least a 4 star for me. Every time I see someone mention it , I want to go look for my copy and do a re-read :-)

I also love the idea of heritage months, something I need to think about but I'd love to be able to start adding it into my reading plan. Since I haven't thought about I don't really have any ideas or time for things this month for authors who immediately come to mind...Isabel Allende, Gabriel García Márquez, Im sure there are so many more. As it so happens , I will be reading Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe this month for the LGBQ prompt, and I also considered The House on Mango Street for fruit/veggie, so maybe I can sneak that one in as well. Ghosts is also on my shelf waiting TBR, ( maybe as a Halloween book) if that fits for this heritage month.

errr....Native American November? Not sure what I'd use for that. I'm waiting for next years challenges to read There There ( can never find this title when I search it, GR really needs to get on that!), But I do have Brother Eagle, Sister Sky on my TBR for my ATY picture book challenge as well as at least one other ( probably more) picture books about Native American culture. Thirteen Moons on Turtle's Back was a good one, but we already read it this year, so maybe I'm a little ahead, ha!

message 15: by Nadine in NY (new)

Tracy wrote: "... to read There There ( can never find this title when I search it, GR really needs to get on that!), ..."

HONESTLY!!! Get your act together, Goodreads!!!! The only way for me to find that book is to search for "there orange" which is ridiculous.

message 16: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments Nadine wrote: "Tracy wrote: "... to read There There ( can never find this title when I search it, GR really needs to get on that!), ..."

HONESTLY!!! Get your act together, Goodreads!!!! The only way for me to for "there orange" which is ridiculous..."

Haha.... I just search the authors name Tommy Orange and it will come up under the books to link. I would have never thought to try "there orange"lol.

message 17: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1851 comments In order for me to find Dreamers I have to search "dreamers yuyi." Newer books probably fall farther down the search criteria?

message 18: by Nadine in NY (new)

poshpenny wrote: "In order for me to find Dreamers I have to search "dreamers yuyi." Newer books probably fall farther down the search criteria?"

it's understandable if you get a long list of books with that same title, but often you get many books that don't even have that exact title and you hve to scroll and scroll and scroll. I don't get why their search engine doesn't prioritize the exact text searched for before offering other results.

message 19: by Nadine in NY (new)

I started before Sept 15, so here's my sort-of-midpoint update:

poetry
The Carrying: Poems by Ada Limon - this was fantastic!

YA
The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo - I listened to the audiobook. This was ... okay. "Coming of age" stories really aren't my thing; I think if you like that type of book, this is a good one.

romance
Acting on Impulse by Mia Sosa - I enjoyed this, and I never would have picked it up if I hadn't been looking for Hispanic/Latinx authors to read.
Stroke of Midnight by Andie J. Christopher - I didn't really like this and I probably won't read any more books by this author.

literary fiction
The Story of My Teeth by Valeria Luiselli - oh noooo this was far too experimental for my taste.

I haven't really had good luck with my choices so far! I was reading The Carrying, which I loved, before I even knew about Hispanic Heritage Month. The books that I specifically sought out and read for this month have not been very enjoyable for me.

Up next:
I'm reading Limon's earlier book of poems now, Sharks in the Rivers. I bought this book for myself several months ago, so I would have read it no matter what.

I've got these three books checked out from the library:
Daytripper graphic novel by Fábio Moon
America, Vol. 1: The Life and Times of America Chavez graphic novel by Gabby Rivera
Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado

I've got a hold on In the Time of the Butterflies and that will probably be it for my "Hispanic Heritage" reading this year.

message 20: by poshpenny (new)

poshpenny  (poshpenny) | 1851 comments I hit a huge reading slump this month so only finished a few.

Dreamers - After I read this, Yuyi Morales had an appearance at a kid's bookshop, so we went. She is great with the kids, and had fun props!

Don Quixote
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
The Shadow of the Wind

I started The First Rule of Punk but I haven't finished it.

message 21: by Tracy (last edited Oct 20, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments I finished Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. I liked it well enough. I think I enjoyed more the parents relationships with the boys than the boys relationships with each other. I definitely felt like the ending with Ari discovering himself seemed forced. I would have liked to see it evolve differently than it did. But it was a cute and heartfelt story. I gave it 4 ✭.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 623 comments I've been having such a hard time finding anything that interests me that is by a South American author. Most of the books that interested me seem to be from authors who are either Mexican or Cuban. The only South American authors I've found even remotely interesting are Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende.

message 23: by Nadine in NY (new)

Rachel wrote: "I've been having such a hard time finding anything that interests me that is by a South American author. Most of the books that interested me seem to be from authors who are either Mexican or Cuban..."

I have a hard time finding South American authors that I like, too. But I do like Latinx authors from the US and the Caribbean, sometimes Mexico.

message 24: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 605 comments Rachel wrote: "I've been having such a hard time finding anything that interests me that is by a South American author. Most of the books that interested me seem to be from authors who are either Mexican or Cuban..."

Rachel have you tried Julia Alvarez? I loved In the Time of the Butterflies. She's Dominican though, not from South America.

message 25: by Malaraa (new)

Malaraa In case either of you you haven't tried it yet, I really enjoyed Ten Women, the author is from Chile.