Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
Book of the Month > Jane Eyre

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Trinity | 803 comments Mod
Discuss!!

Skye | 364 comments I am ready~
I adore this novel and it was one of the reasons I studied English in college. I have also discovered this book can be read and discussed in many different vogues.

Shainlock  | 686 comments Mod
Here we go! Skye now you are in your element.

Skye | 364 comments It is a very interesting book; in fact, the name Eyre can stand for heir, aire and something else; she actually had the upper hand in all things, despite her meek demeanor, she was definitely not that.

I’m taking notes!

Audible Classics download with Thandie Newton reading. Whoop Whoop! Love her voice and I am excited for this!

Skye | 364 comments Shaina, you are so cute, and I am so glad you have the audible, Trinity.

Skye | 364 comments First of all, Charlotte Bronte used the pen name of Currer Bell due to the time it was written; a female author would never have been taken seriously.. From that point onward, don't be deluded, she creates an amazing protagonist ( probably thumbing her nose at readers) Just the name Jane makes one think of a woman with a meek demeanor.

Carrie Dalby It's been a few years since I read it and won't be able to reread, but there's a lovely synopsis of it in the book The Brontes A to Z: The Essential Reference to Their Lives and Work that I can refresh myself with and weigh in when possible.

message 10: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments Thanks for letting us know, Carrie: it's such a wonderful novel.

Loving this!! Everyone is awesome ! Thinking about the audible now. Glad you told me about it Trinity.

message 12: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments Jane is quite the character, and this book is super fabulous, as well as Emily's Wuthering Heights.

Carrie Dalby I found The Brontes A to Z in a used book store on my travels earlier this summer for $2. WooHoo! It's a great reference.

What a deal! I love finds such as those, Carrie. There is also the Gutenberg project online where you can get this book for free if you want to.
https://www.gutenberg.org

I always forget you can download most Classics there.

What a great book to get me back into reading again. I forgot how much I love it. It has been a while since I've read it. I've always loved her snarkiness and I had forgot how quickly it comes out.

message 17: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments It does, doesn't it; she is in total control of all that she can control, too, but does it without others realizing. They think she can be controlled, but she can't.

I grabbed it from Gutenberg and am about to start!

This is horrible ! This poor girl!

Right?!? She's a fighter though.

message 21: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments She has been severely mistreated by many people, beginning with the Reeds, but she quietly bows down her head in submission, just waiting her time. She is quite the fighter.

I am seriously rooting for her! She just told Mrs. Reed. Loved it!

message 23: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments :)

message 24: by Gena (new)

Gena | 1 comments I'm a little late to the party. I voted for it, dug it out, started reading it . . . then of course life started getting in the way, started getting distracted from it, take your pick of excuses. It's been a long time since I've read it, but I'm trying to dig in again . . . .

message 25: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments Gena; life has gotten in my way, too. I'm glad you're here, though; it's such a wonderful book.

message 26: by Skye (new) - rated it 5 stars

Skye | 364 comments Shaina wrote: "I am seriously rooting for her! She just told Mrs. Reed. Loved it!"

It's really sad, Shaina because she is the first-cousin to those brats ( I could use other, stronger words).

I know! I don’t get it. They mentioned in there the aunt being another race? I didn’t know exactly what that meant. I mean was she from another country ?

Awesome Gena! You are definitely not too late! Just join in when you feel like it. This is my first time reading it. So if you have any insights or wisdom please share for my sake. ;)

Don't worry Gena. We've all had our ups and downs lately. Life really sucks sometimes. It's really great at getting in the way of things we really want to do.

message 30: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Shannon | 2 comments I’m about a third of the way through, and this is my first time reading it also - I really like it so far! I’m glad this one was chosen, I might never have gotten around to reading it otherwise.

I didn’t know much about the book before starting, so I wasn’t expecting to see it in this group’s reading list; the darker atmosphere of the book was an interesting surprise, and I can’t wait to see the rest of her story. Great pick!

message 31: by Tracy (new) - added it

Tracy Shannon | 2 comments *rest of her story. Great pick!
(My comment above looks cutoff on my screen-maybe a mobile issue?)

Tracy, I’m like you on this. I’m not sure I would have gotten around to it otherwise. It’s definitely gothic though. Hmmmm. I’m glad to finally be reading it. Glad to hear from you. Glad to know I’m not the only one in the world who hadn’t read it yet. Hehe.
Also you guys; this book makes me a bit weepy. Gosh, is that normal ? :-/

Mine loves to have mobile issues. No worries.

I am getting through both books slowly but maintaining progress. I never remember to update when I have the other book on me but I am enjoying both reads this month. Jane Eyre has always been one of my favorite classics and I am reminded why every time I get to sit and enjoy it.

It’s getting to me Trinity. With.... feels.

Oh yes! All the feels! I think this was one of the first books that made me actually cry, like cry, not just a tear but sit the book down and cover my face while I took a moment to absorb all that had just happened. Great emotional pull.

Yes! Ok. Good. Thank you for that. I think I will be getting like a B&N classic edition of this someday.

Yass! I think I own like... Three editions of this book. One I had to get for school. One was a gift, it's very pretty. And now the audible version.

It’s odd. It’s like I’m circling the audible. I’ve recently acquired Emma and then earlier on Turn of the Screw... May not seem like it to you, but I feel like I’ve been circling this very book.

I’m almost finished! To me this will be a great accomplishment. I never thought I would read this.