Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > 20.10 Fall Equinox (Elizabeth (Alaska)'s Task)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Fall Equinox contains all 5 vowels. Read any book whose title contains all of the letters A-E-I-O-U. The book may have a subtitle, but all of the letters should be in the title.

Please post any questions/suggestions about task 20.10 in this thread.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments No, that does not work.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin Does this count as one title or as a book with a subtitle if there is no colon, etc?

Evelina, or The History of a Young Lady's Entrance in the World.

I am not reading this, but am looking at classics that use this. To me it looks like one title, but sometimes in current editions they shorten them on the cover to make them more appealing to the current generations.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Karin wrote: "Does this count as one title or as a book with a subtitle if there is no colon, etc?

I am not reading this, but am..."

That's one title. I won't say that all such would work for this task, but feel free to ask about any of them.

message 6: by Karin (last edited Sep 11, 2018 05:49PM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "Does this count as one title or as a book with a subtitle if there is no colon, etc?

I am not readin..."

Great - thanks! The two I'm thinking about (will only read the one that meets this category now that I have this covered--but mum's the word so far) have this exact type of structure so will work. I have no plans to ever reread this book although I liked it.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would this work? The Eaten Heart: Unlikely Tales of Love"

No, sorry. All of the letters have to be in the title itself.

message 9: by Karin (last edited Oct 11, 2018 11:35AM) (new)

Karin Does this work? it's the English translation of an Austrian novel.

The Man Without Qualities

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Karin wrote: "Does this work? it's the English translation of an Austrian novel.

The Man Without Qualities"

Yes, that works for this task.

message 11: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "Does this work? it's the English translation of an Austrian novel.

The Man Without Qualities"

Yes, that works for this task."

Excellent.

message 12: by Heather (last edited Oct 21, 2018 09:34AM) (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Question - the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is titled oddly. ALL of the books are titled The Dark Tower series number: and the title. I was considering rereading The Gunslinger, which is often listed as The Dark Tower I: The Gunslinger (this is how it's listed on Amazon AND BPL). Would this qualify? I'm unsure because it looks as if the title itself is the subtitle AND because the titling is inconsistent.

message 13: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 21, 2018 09:35AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Heather wrote: "Question - the Dark Tower series by Stephen King is titled oddly. ALL of the books are titled The Dark Tower series number: and the title. I was considering rereading The Gunslinger, w..."

We use the title as it is in the MPE, so this one is missing an A and an O, and won't work for this task. (Gunslinger is long enough for 10.9, and you'll combo with 10.2, so still lots of options for this one.) At GR, the series name is not included in the title. (Or shouldn't be - sometimes they get imported incorrectly and have to be fixed.)