Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Incorrect organisation of my book shelf.(Not sure if this is the right folder)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Creative Orange (last edited Jan 30, 2019 06:53AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

According to a member named Dee. I must see a Librarian with this issue.

I've organised my all books sheld by author and I realised that there are some errors.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

Brown, Cram 101, Greta and John is before Abdo.

Last time I checked B comes after A in the Modern Latin Alphabet.

I also would like to suggest that if the shelves are organised by author it should be organised by the first letter of the first name of the author.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25057 comments It is conventional to sort by first letter of last name, as in a library.

message 3: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Cram 101 and John are taken care of already.

The problems with Kimberly Brown & Greta Sloan have been reported in the Goodreads author thread.

message 4: by Creative Orange (last edited Aug 30, 2018 08:26AM) (new)

Creative Orange (Rumell Khan) (rkrespectedmember) I believe that just because it is conventional doesn't mean it makes it well organised. I find it confusing when it is organised by the last name/surname.

message 5: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments Actually, I find it far more organized, considering things like nicknames, initials, going by middle names, etc. Last names generally only change a couple of times in a life, at most.

Plus, it lets you put the Bronte sisters together on a shelf

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott | 25057 comments It makes more sense. Last names are far less common than first names.

message 7: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 852 comments maybe an option where you could show either depending on your desire - an additional column or something

message 8: by Melanti (new)

Melanti | 761 comments So, this particular topic (an option to sort by first name first) IS better suited for the Feedback group.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 08:38AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 7160 comments Dee wrote: "maybe an option where you could show either depending on your desire - an additional column or something"

This is the way the export works. However, I'll expect Rivka to come in and say this isn't a librarian issue and that the suggestion should be made in either the feedback group or to support directly.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 45482 comments Mod
Melanti wrote: "So, this particular topic (an option to sort by first name first) IS better suited for the Feedback group."

Indeed. Closing thread, as the librarian-related issues have been dealt with.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.