The Reading Challenge Group discussion

Monthly Genre Challenge 2018 > September - Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 4051 comments Mod
Our genre for September is Historical Fiction. There are lots of great books to choose from- enjoy!

message 2: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I am planning to read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. I think it may count as Historical Fiction. I read part of it many years ago but never finished it. It is a pretty intense read.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I would consider it as historical fiction, since it was set a long time in the past. Good luck on finishing it this time around; it's not a fast read.

message 4: by Candy (last edited Sep 26, 2018 06:59AM) (new)

Candy Tiley | 93 comments I am reading World Without End by Ken Follett. I read Pillars of the Earth years ago and am finally making the time to read this second installment in the trilogy. I am really enjoying it.

I finished World Without End and liked it very much! It has a whole new cast of characters and relates to the 14th century in England by portraying the effects of the plague on a small village. I look forward to reading A Column of Fire.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula Bardell-Hedley (gaiabird) | 195 comments I'm going to read Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood. 😃

message 6: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I plan to read Forgotten Women. But after seeing Candy’s comment in message #4, I hope to read The Pillars of the Earth too.

message 7: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am going to read a YA book, The Eagle of the Ninth to start with. Maybe I will have time to read a second one?

Brenda (aka Grandma) | 278 comments I'm not sure which if any of my current reads are technically historical fiction, but they all seem like it to me:
Tevye the Dairyman and Motl the Cantor's Son
Munich
Hamlet

message 9: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Munich definitely is, Brenda.

message 10: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4728 comments Mod
Huzzah! I forgot this was coming. I’m reading Niccolò Rising fir the second time but first time with a group. I’m psyched because it’s such a freaking great book!

message 11: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments This is my favourite genre. I've started reading Take, Burn or Destroy. It's very exciting and it's keeping me up late in the evenings.

Cindy (BKind2Books) (bkind2books) | 947 comments Finished The Chief - it's the first in a series of romances set in Scotland in the early 1300's.

message 13: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 826 comments I read Forgotten Women, a novel set during the Spanish Civil War.

message 14: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I have read The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliff and gave it five stars.
It is a great book for all ages.

message 15: by Mary Anne (new)

Mary Anne (maryanneclement) | 147 comments I'm reading The Last Ballad by Wiley Cash. Set in the 1920's -- all about unions getting started in textile mills in the South.

message 16: by Tracey (new)

Tracey | 916 comments I ended up reading The Tattooist of Auschwitz for this prompt.

message 17: by Allison, Quest Hound (new)

Allison (rainy-day-reads) | 1298 comments Mod
I read Daughter of the Sky, about the Zulu-British conflict in the 1880s.

message 18: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 438 comments I finished Until the Sea Shall Give Up Her Dead yesterday. A very exciting book.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I hope everyone has been enjoying the historical fiction they have chosen to read for this challenge.
I am impressed by the variety of books chosen.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 48 comments I have finished The Remains of the Day. Not sure why I took so long to get around to reading this one. It was a well written gentle book, but quite emotional.

message 21: by Badlydone (new)

Badlydone | 140 comments I have finally finished The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. An intense read, I can say with confidence that this is one of the best books that I have ever read!

message 22: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

I am glad you enjoyed the book, Laura.

Way to go on finishing the book, Badlydone.