Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > 10.5 Pet Day

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Sept 9 is National Pet Memorial Month. Read a book that has at least one edition published by a publishing house that has the name of an animal in its name...such as Penguin, Black Dog, Graywolf, etc. Please include a link to both the MPE and the applicable edition.

Please post any questions about task 10.5 in this thread.

message 2: by Anika (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:34PM) (new)

Anika | 2068 comments Do audiobooks count as editions? I was looking at a book and Penguin Random House Audio is the publisher of the audiobook, but the print editions are all under the Random House label.

message 3: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 30, 2018 01:43PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Yes, there needs to be at least 1 edition, any format, with the animal name. (And I suspect those Random House are actually Penguin ones.)

message 4: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments I had two questions and I see that one (Penguin audio) has already been answered and deemed okay. How about "Bantam" (small chicken)?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Owlette wrote: "I had two questions and I see that one (Penguin audio) has already been answered and deemed okay. How about "Bantam" (small chicken)?"

Ha! Very good - yes, we'll take Bantam, too.

message 6: by Rosemary (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3113 comments What about Akurat? Has "rat" in it . . .
Marsjanin

Or Turtleback?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Rosemary wrote: "What about Akurat? Has "rat" in it . . .
Marsjanin"

No, sorry.

message 8: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3113 comments Is that a no for Turtleback, too? I may have added that after you saw the question.

I was kind of expecting it for the rat ;)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments No to Turtleback, too. (And thanks for the prompt, you are right that I didn't see it.)

message 10: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3113 comments How about: Horse's Mouth, Square Fish?

And mythical beasts: Minotaur, Roc, Pegasus?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been through all my most likely books now so that should be the end :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Rosemary wrote: "How about: Horse's Mouth, Square Fish?"

No to these

"And mythical beasts: Minotaur, Roc, Pegasus?"

And yes to these.

"Sorry for all the questions. I've been through all my most likely books now so that should be the end :)"

Questions are what these threads are for! We'd rather have them here than for you to have an unpleasant surprise later.

message 12: by Coralie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 03:57PM) (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments I assume Seal and Daw would work.

What about Waking Lion?

and firebird?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Coralie wrote: "I assume Seal and Daw would work.

What about Waking Lion?

and firebird?"

yes, those work

message 14: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Coralie wrote: "I assume Seal and Daw would work.

What about Waking Lion?

and firebird?"

yes, those work"

Thank you.

message 15: by Rosemary (new)

Rosemary | 3113 comments Since you were so nice about all my questions, I found a couple more to check:

Corgi
Flamingo

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Rosemary wrote: "Since you were so nice about all my questions, I found a couple more to check:

Corgi
Flamingo"

Yes! And I'm doing good to see Penguin!

message 17: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 01, 2018 03:49PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments There is a publisher as part of Vintage called Black Lizard. Those books will qualify for this this task. The should be identified on GR as such. I see several that are by the Noir authors.

http://knopfdoubleday.com/imprint/bla...

message 18: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments How about Salamandra? Salamandra books is a publisher from Spain; and Salamandra is the Latin name - genus - for six species of Salamanders.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Valerie wrote: "How about Salamandra? Salamandra books is a publisher from Spain; and Salamandra is the Latin name - genus - for six species of Salamanders."

Yes, we'll take animals in other languages - but you might need to explain when you post! I was looking at some titles yesterday and wondered about the meaning of publisher names in other languages, but was too lazy to look them up.

message 20: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Valerie wrote: "How about Salamandra? Salamandra books is a publisher from Spain; and Salamandra is the Latin name - genus - for six species of Salamanders."

Yes, we'll take animals in other langu..."

Well, the word looked so similar to the English I thought it was worth googling. Unfortunately, unless they are simple or obvious words my non-English language skills are weak. One of my regrets......

message 21: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments Will Gatopardo ediciones ("Leopard" in Spanish) work?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Megan wrote: "Will Gatopardo ediciones ("Leopard" in Spanish) work?"

Yes, Indeed!

message 23: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4477 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rosemary wrote: "How about: Horse's Mouth, Square Fish?"

No to these

"And mythical beasts: Minotaur, Roc, Pegasus?"

And yes to these.

"Sorry for all the questions. I've been through all my mos..."

Would Pan be considered a mythical beast, half man and half goat?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Rebekah wrote: "Would Pan be considered a mythical beast, half man and half goat? "

Are you thinking Pan Macmillan?

message 25: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4477 comments The book I was looking at just said “Pan Books” so this book’s edition must have been before it was acquired by Macmillan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_B...

message 26: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 496 comments Does "Yearling" work? Thanks.

message 27: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 04, 2018 06:44PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Rebekah wrote: "The book I was looking at just said “Pan Books” so this book’s edition must have been before it was acquired by Macmillan.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_B..."

As it's not fully an animal, Pan will not be allowed.

Owlette wrote: "Does "Yearling" work? Thanks."

No, sorry. It's an age, and while usually applied to an animal, it isn't actually the name of an animal.

message 28: by Karin (new)

Karin Owlette wrote: "I had two questions and I see that one (Penguin audio) has already been answered and deemed okay. How about "Bantam" (small chicken)?"

I love it--when my parents first got chickens, some of them were Bantams--Using one Bantam egg was perfect when you halved a recipe that called for only one egg even if they weren't exactly 1/2 in volume. Plus we ate them boiled as well.

message 29: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Just wondering whether Dead Dodo Vintage would be ok, specifically Jerusalem?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Lagullande wrote: "Just wondering whether Dead Dodo Vintage would be ok, specifically Jerusalem?"

We'll allow this because "Dead Dodo" is the actual publisher, and "vintage" one of its categories.

message 31: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Lagullande wrote: "Just wondering whether Dead Dodo Vintage would be ok, specifically Jerusalem?"

We'll allow this because "Dead Dodo" is the actual publisher, and "vintage" one of..."

Thank you. Obviously the "Dead" part is unnecessary.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments Will Graywolf be allowed?
And if so and I do read this book The Rest of the Voyage: Poems published by them will I get +5 for the Fagles translation prize noted on the cover but not the listing?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Beth wrote: "Will Graywolf be allowed?
And if so and I do read this book The Rest of the Voyage: Poems published by them will I get +5 for the Fagles translation prize noted on the cover but not..."

Yes for Graywolf, and after some searching found the Robert Fagles prize and have added it to the three titles I could find.

message 34: by Beth (new)

Beth Robinson (bethrobinson) | 1118 comments Thank you. I find odd things at used book stores. :)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12768 comments Beth wrote: "Thank you. I find odd things at used book stores. :)"

I'm jealous. For me, there aren't many downsides to living in a small town, but no used bookstores is one of them.