Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > 10.3 Real Place

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Paris 1919: Six Months That Changed the World: Read any book that has a real place in the title.

Please post questions about task 10.3 in this thread.

message 2: by Lagullande (new)

Lagullande | 1040 comments "Title" = including or excluding subtitle?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Lagullande wrote: ""Title" = including or excluding subtitle?"

Including subtitle.

message 4: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Does the book have to actually take place in the place that’s in the title?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Rebekah wrote: "Does the book have to actually take place in the place that’s in the title?"

Example?

message 6: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Can they be other than land?Life on the Mississippi or The Old Man and the Sea

Kathleen (itpdx) (itpdx) | 1450 comments Does a place as broad as the “the Rockies” work?
Earning the Rockies: How Geography Shapes America's Role in the World

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Rebekah wrote: "Can they be other than land?Life on the Mississippi or The Old Man and the Sea"

While the place can be other than land, neither of these work. The place should be specific, but not a large sprawling named area.

itpdx wrote: "Does a place as broad as the “the Rockies” work?
Earning the Rockies: How Geography Shapes America's Role in the World"

Same answer for this one.

message 9: by Coralie (new)

Coralie | 2545 comments So, would A Guide to Berlin work but not Deutschland?

What about Palmerino and Panama?

Tierra del Fuego?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Berlin works as does Palmerino (as I think this is just a villa, and not a region in Italy). Deutschland, Panama, and Tierra del Fuego are places, but too large in area.

message 11: by Connie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:28PM) (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1468 comments Would A Year in Provence work?

Others that I'm considering are Honolulu and Next Year in Havana which have smaller areas.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Connie wrote: "Would A Year in Provence work?

Others that I'm considering are Honolulu and Next Year in Havana which have smaller areas."

Provence is too large a region in France to qualify, but Honolulu and Havana are fine.

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2595 comments How about Wanchai?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Valerie wrote: "How about Wanchai?"

That will do fine.

message 16: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:57AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Sam wrote: "What about The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair That Changed America or [book:In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's B..."

Devil in the White City won't work, because it would need to say Chicago, but Garden of Beasts includes Berlin, so yes to that one.

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam (theliteraryhooker) | 1008 comments Okay, thanks! That's kind of what I figured for both.

message 18: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments A twofold question. Firstly, Does 'Somme' work? If yes...

Somme Mud

BUT I own this edition (see below) which I didn't realise is an Abridged and is a "Beautifully presented young readers' edition of the bestselling memoir of a young soldier on the First World War's Western Front" until I got home! Rushing through the sales *sighs*

Somme Mud Kids: An Australian Teenager in the First World War

Not sure how you'd handle that in terms of claiming points?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Tien wrote: "A twofold question. Firstly, Does 'Somme' work? If yes...

Somme Mud

BUT I own this edition (see below) which I didn't realise is an Abridged and is a "Beautifully presented young r..."

First, yes, as that refers to the battle area and not to the larger region. The Somme of the WWI was a terrible battle, so many lives lost. Your edition has been combined with that you first linked. Neither is shelved at BPL, so any styles apply, including the Penguin combo.

message 20: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments Thanks, Elizabeth.

Yes, definitely one of the worst battles though I think for Australians, Gallipoli still tops the list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Tien wrote: "Thanks, Elizabeth.

Yes, definitely one of the worst battles though I think for Australians, Gallipoli still tops the list."

Yes, both were slaughters.

message 22: by Rebekah (last edited Sep 02, 2018 08:49PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "Does the book have to actually take place in the place that’s in the title?"

Example?"

I was trying to look back to the very first challenge in this group, but looks like we lost all our history prior to August 2010. In that challenge there was one task called City Lights. There had to be a city in the title, but then people were finding words in titles that happened to be cities too and were counting them and got to be a problem. ie Paris Trout by Pete Dexter or Shamrock Alley by Ronald Malfi . There is a town in Texas named Shamrock.

message 23: by Rebekah (last edited Sep 02, 2018 09:15PM) (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Could the real place definition be clarified? I had a few books that had names of countries in them such as Kipling Sahib: India and the Making of Rudyard Kipling, French By Heart: An American Family's Adventures in La Belle France, Ireland, and The Question of Palestine. Also states such as Texas Lawmen, 1835-1899: The Good and the Bad, Gods in Alabama and Bleeding Kansas: Contested Liberty in the Civil War Era. But if regions are too large, then countries and states are too. So does a real place have to be a city, building, a small park or what? Would Five Days at Memorial: Life and Death in a Storm-Ravaged Hospital count as a place? It is a real hospital in New Orleans. Might save a lot of questions in the thread.

message 24: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1468 comments Could you perhaps add a list of categories that can be used for this task, and another list of categories that cannot be used to message 1 where we can find it? The dictionary definition of place encompasses a lot. We don't want to bother you every time we're using this task for combo points.

message 25: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Rebekah wrote: "I was trying to look back to the very first challenge in this group, but looks like we lost all our history prior to August 2010"

Prior to the Fall 2010 season, this challenge was part of another group: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group....

message 26: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments We are working to clear up the language for this task, please be patient.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Individual states/countries and cities named in the title should work. Regions/continents will not qualify. This means that we are reversing the decisions above on Panama, Deutschland, and Provence and they will qualify. The place named in the title does not have to be the same as the setting.

Sorry this took a bit longer to hash out in the background, and I also apologize for our not stating it more clearly in the first place (and apparently not knowing the task better myself!).

message 28: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Kate S wrote: "Rebekah wrote: "I was trying to look back to the very first challenge in this group, but looks like we lost all our history prior to August 2010"

Prior to the Fall 2010 season, this challenge was ..."

aha! I didn't realize that!

message 29: by Rebekah (new)

Rebekah (bekalynn) | 4474 comments Thank you so much for clarifying! Now on to the bookcase!

message 30: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 1468 comments Thank you, Elizabeth and Kate.

message 31: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments um, does 'Babylon' count then?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Tien wrote: "um, does 'Babylon' count then?"

Yes!

message 33: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 2659 comments yay, thanks!

message 34: by Ed (last edited Sep 07, 2018 07:40AM) (new)

Ed Lehman | 2518 comments What about Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry which is a reference to a Biblical location (in Jordan) but is also the name of a city in Utah?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Ed wrote: "What about Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry which is a reference to a Biblical location (in Jordan) but is also the name of a city in Utah?"

Moab is the name of a real place, so it works for this task.

message 36: by Owlette (new)

Owlette | 495 comments I think that Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell is San Nicolas island according to the author's note and Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_...
It is a real place, so okay for this task?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments No, the title must include the name of the real place.

message 38: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1983 comments Does the "White House" count as a real place? I'm thinking of Fear: Trump in the White House.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Deedee wrote: "Does the "White House" count as a real place? I'm thinking of Fear: Trump in the White House."

Yes.

message 40: by Heather (last edited Sep 12, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Kind of approaching this one from the side... would local names/nicknames/translations for a real place count? I was considering Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Incident. I know the subtitle has the actual name in it so it qualifies regardless but the main title is Mountain of the Dead or Dead Mountain. The Russian translation of Dead Mountain is Kholat Syakhl, which is the name of the mountain where Dyatlov Pass IS.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Heather wrote: "Kind of approaching this one from the side... would local names/nicknames/translations for a real place count? I was considering Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Incident. I k..."

It works because of Dyatlov Pass, which is the name of the real place, whereas the other is not its actual name. Either way - go for it!

message 42: by Heather (new)

Heather (sarielswish) | 722 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Heather wrote: "Kind of approaching this one from the side... would local names/nicknames/translations for a real place count? I was considering [book:Mountain of the Dead: The Dyatlov Pass Inciden..."

That's a bit confusing because Kholat Syakhl is the name of the mountain where the pass is, which translates to Mountain of the Dead. I know it's kind of academic but I'm asking because I'm also considering a few books about mountains and a LOT of them have local, translated, and former names - Denali/Mount McKinley (the tall one), K2/Mount Godwin-Austin/Chhogori (big mountain), Mount Everest/Sagarmatha/Chomolungma (Holy Mother), Elbrus/Strobilus (pine cone).

So just to be clear, no nicknames or translations of names then? What about former names? The Denali/Mount McKinley one is the most obvious example I can think of other than Istanbul/Constantinople. I'm guessing those are ok, right?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Heather wrote: "So just to be clear, no nicknames or translations of names then? What about former names? The Denali/Mount McKinley one is the most obvious example I can think of other than Istanbul/Constantinople. I'm guessing those are ok, right? "

Correct - no nicknames/translations. Name changes such as Mount McKinley/Denali or Istanbul/Constantinople are OK because both are/were the actual names.

I'm sorry this was confusing. We probably could have done a better job of wording the task.

message 44: by Karin (new)

Karin I Married the Klondike or Klondike: The Last Great Gold Rush, 1896-1899? -Would either of these work? The Klondike is an area in the Yukon and it's called that to this day. In it are places like Dawson's Creek.

Also, would it work if I ever find a good book on Klondike Kate? ie a place being used as an adjective?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Klondike is too large an area to work for this task - it's like our answer above about the Rocky Mountains or the Mississippi.

message 46: by Karin (last edited Sep 13, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Klondike is too large an area to work for this task - it's like our answer above about the Rocky Mountains or the Mississippi."

Even though it's smaller than many states, is in a defined area and state names count? If a state name counts, so would the name of a province, and there are several provinces larger than Texas. So, by that definition, The Yukon would count as a territory like a province or state, I would think. The Klondike is entirely contained in a relatively small part of the Yukon.

The Mississippi, on the other hand, goes through many states, so wouldn't count.

I don't have to read a book with Klondike, but am trying to figure out these rules as I don't see how the Klondike, which is sort of like a county except we don't have those in Canada (well, if there is a province or so with them, I am not familiar with that) is the same as the Mississippi. It cant be a government structure or a border, since there are mountains that straddle borders.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments The Klondike does not count for this task.

message 48: by Karin (last edited Sep 13, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "The Klondike does not count for this task."

Okay. I am just trying to clarify this all as it can be rather tricky when a mountain name can count, etc. You answered while I was editing again--I hit post too soon!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12758 comments Karin wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: ""

Okay. I am just trying to clarify this all as it can be rather tricky when a mountain name can count, etc. "

Feel free to ask about a specific book. It's easier than generalities sometimes.

message 50: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: ""

Okay. I am just trying to clarify this all as it can be rather tricky when a mountain name can count, etc. "

Feel free to ask about a specific book. It'..."

Sure--I have decided against the Klondike book, though.

« previous 1