Reading with Style discussion

RwS Fall 2018 > 10.1 Favorite Lists

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate S (new)

Kate S | 6265 comments Read a book from a favorite listopia - yours or that of another member. Using the list of listopias claimed during the Listopia Tag sub-challenge from the Summer 2018 season, select a list and read any book listed. Members may post their favorite list from the Summer season in the help thread if they wish. Please post a link to the appropriate LT claim when posting. A list of posts will be included in post 2 of the help thread. You may complete this task 3 times. This task cannot be used for combo.

Please use this thread for questions and posting your favorite Listopias from the summer season.

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Sep 02, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Here is the list of Listopia Tag Posts thru Post 850. Note there are two tabs - the first by post number, the second by member name. After all the scores have been tallied, I'll upload a new sheet with the remaining information (probably late Sunday/early Monday).

Favorite Lists

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Three lists I used this season might be worth passing on.

Favorite Virago Modern Classics, which I used in Post 320
The Golden Age Queens of Crime: Christie -- Sayers -- Marsh -- Allingham -- Wentworth, which I used in Post 103
Cozy Mystery Series - First Book of a Series, which I used in Post 864

message 4: by Megan (new)

Megan (gentlyread) | 358 comments I see we can complete the task three times. Do these need to be different lists each time, or can we re-use a list?

message 5: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:11AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Megan wrote: "I see we can complete the task three times. Do these need to be different lists each time, or can we re-use a list?"

You can mix and match - all the same, 3 different, or 2 and 1.

message 6: by Valerie (last edited Aug 31, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments I know there is at least one other sci-fi/fantasy fan in RwS....!! I think this list has many, many excellent choices:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

This is the list I used for I, Robot (post 170)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments The sheet in Post #2 has been updated to include all LT posts.

message 8: by Kätlin (last edited Sep 05, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Valerie wrote: "I know there is at least one other sci-fi/fantasy fan in RwS....!! I think this list has many, many excellent choices:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3...

Thi..."

Thanks, that's such a great list! It has so many of my favourite authors on it and makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, while also containing books on my "to read" list, and a few that are completely new to me. Also, lots of the classics will earn oldies points!

message 9: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2597 comments Kätlin wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I know there is at least one other sci-fi/fantasy fan in RwS....!! I think this list has many, many excellent choices:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/3......"

Oh good - glad to be of use! I think it's a great list too!

message 10: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments I also have a kind of a stupid general question though. Is there an easier way to check if a particular book is on one of the listopia lists than going through all the posts in the file one by one, finding the lists, and then going through the lists one page at a time to see if they contain the book (as far as I know, there is no way of searching a listopia list for keywords or authors)? I mean, sometimes you can obviously skip a list, if let's say you're checking for a book set in modern times and the listopia is "books set during WWII", but other than that, is there an obvious way to check that a book is eligible for this category that I somehow haven't thought of?

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (lit_chick_77) | 500 comments Kätlin wrote: "I also have a kind of a stupid general question though. Is there an easier way to check if a particular book is on one of the listopia lists than going through all the posts in the file one by one,..."
Yes! Go to the main page for the title, and scroll to the Community Reviews section. Right above that should be a line with “Lists with this Book”. Click “More Lists” and it will show you all the lists and the position in the list. When you click that list it takes you right there.

A note - lists are edition-specific so if you don’t see it on a list right away, try another edition.

message 12: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Thank you Ann, that's very helpful! I have never noticed the link to the lists. This makes things so much easier.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Yes, but keep in mind that the list must have been used in summer's LT challenge.

message 14: by Karin (last edited Sep 06, 2018 09:54AM) (new)

Karin I didn't do the LT so does this mean I can't do this task?

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Karin wrote: "I didn't do the LT so does this mean I can't do this task?"

Yes, you can do this task. Just use a list posted by another member in LT.

message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Karin wrote: "I didn't do the LT so does this mean I can't do this task?"

Yes, you can do this task. Just use a list posted by another member in LT."

Great, now I get it. I am very sleep deprived this week. Thanks.

message 17: by Kätlin (new)

Kätlin | 174 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Yes, but keep in mind that the list must have been used in summer's LT challenge."
Thanks, will keep this in mind :)

message 18: by Rosemary (last edited Sep 25, 2018 07:09AM) (new)

Rosemary | 3116 comments I made a new spreadsheet :)
I had 3 books that didn't fit other tasks, that I wanted to fit here. So I had to go through all of the lists in the posts from the summer to find lists that my books were on. The good news - I found 2 of the 3. The better news - I saved all the list names and links to a new version of Elizabeth's spreadsheet, so it will be quicker for anyone else who wants to do the same thing (and me if I want to fit a third book!)

My spreadsheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...
Sorted by list name, with duplicates removed.
If you want to sort it differently, you can download a copy.

To use it to fit a book,

1. Go to the main page of the book you want to fit, eg one of mine was Two Boys Kissing

2. Scroll down to "Lists with this book" (under your friend reviews and the questions)

3. Click through to "More lists with this book", it will look like this https://www.goodreads.com/list/book/1...

4. Compare the lists on that page to the lists on the spreadsheet (keeping in mind that only lists with 100+ books and votes were allowed for Listopia Tag, so you don't have to check every tiny list)

5. If you find a list that matches one on the spreadsheet (for Two Boys Kissing, I found "Best Books Ever"), click through from the "More lists with this book" page to see what number your book is at, then copy & paste the link address from the spreadsheet and check that your book is definitely there (just to be sure it's the exact same list).

Hope that helps somebody!

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 12773 comments Great work, Rosemary!