The Tsar of Love and Techno by Anthony Marra
Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford
The Chilbury Ladies' Choir by Jennifer Ryan

Also, here are two book-related podcasts also recommended:
Fully Booked by Kirkus Reviews
Professional Book Nerds by Overdrive

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 225 comments 60 New Books to Read This Fall

http://www.vulture.com/2018/09/best-n...

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Jul 16, 2019 12:38PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 19 comments Here are some books I think the group may like. Click on the book to see ratings and reviews. I'll keep adding to the list.

High on my wishlist:
The Woman's Hour: The Great Fight to Win the Vote - [I've been searching for books on the suffrage movement to celebrate the 100 year anniversary in 2020.]
Still Alice by Lisa Genova [This book is about a college professor with Alzheimer's. It's written by a neurologist who writes beautifully. Fiction.]
Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption [A timely social justice book with many awards and accolades.]
The Alice Network [WWII spy fiction]

Some of my favorites this year:
The Heart's Invisible Furies by John Boyne {Incredibly moving novel about a gay man's life from mid 19th century Ireland to the present day. Stellar reviews.]
Educated By Tara Westover. [Don't prejudge it. It is so much more than I expected.]
Circe by Madeline Miller [Beautifully written story about a minor character from the Odyssey. You don't need to know a lot about mythology to enjoy it.]
Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Catherine Boo [Narrative non-fiction from a Pulitzer prize winner.]
A Ladder to the Sky by John Boyne. [This one is wickedly clever, while Heart's Invisible Furies is deeper and more heartfelt.]
Rules of Civility by Amor Towles. [1920's NYC, by the author of A Gentleman in Moscow.]

message 4: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 19 comments Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine is really good, and I think the wait lists at the library are finally down to single digits.

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 225 comments Reading something to celebrate the anniversary of the womens vote in 2020 is a wonderful idea! I went on a week long book trip to Seneca Falls right before Memorial Day this year and it was great.

We focused on Elizabeth Cady Stanton and had a few different choices of biographies to read. Let me dig out the list and forward it.

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori (widz) | 55 comments Hi everyone - sorry I missed the in-person meeting. I recently finished A Woman of No Importance: The Untold Story of the American Spy Who Helped Win World War II. An amazing story of strength, courage and patriotism. I'd be happy to lead the discussion for that one. Of those books already mentioned, I'd also vote for Educated. I also liked Where the Crawdads Sing, which seems to be pretty popular right now.

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath | 206 comments Mod
Thanks, Lori -- That would be great if you wanted to lead on Woman of No Importance. Any month in particular? I'm also putting this info on the thread for Book Selections 2019-20.
Thanks!

message 8: by Lori (new)

Lori (widz) | 55 comments The month doesn't matter to me. Whatever works out best. And if others would rather not do this book this round, we can always save it for later too.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath | 206 comments Mod
How about January 2020? I think several of us have it on our "want to read" so that should work!

message 10: by Lori (new)

Lori (widz) | 55 comments That will work! Thanks.

message 11: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 19 comments Is anyone here reading the Booker Award long list? I just read Lanny by Max Porter, and I loved it.