J.D. Robb discussion

Pretend You're Safe (The Agency, #1)
This topic is about Pretend You're Safe
Monthly Book Discussion Library > Pretend You're Safe (The Agency#1) by Alexandra Ivy - Sept. 2018 - Spoiler Zone

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10537 comments Mod
Our September Book of the Month is Pretend You're Safe by Alexandra Ivy. It appears to be another chilling thriller! Open discussions will begin on the 15th.

Synopsis/Blurb:
HE SEES YOU
First came the floods. Then came the bodies. The victims—strangled, then buried along the shores of the Mississippi—have finally been unearthed, years after they disappeared. He remembers every satisfying kill . . . each woman’s terror and agony. But there’s only one he truly wanted. And fate has brought her within reach again . . .

HE KNOWS YOU
Jaci Patterson was sixteen when she found the first golden locket on her porch. Inside were a few strands of hair wrapped around a scrap of bloodstained ribbon. Though the “gifts” kept arriving, no one believed her hunch that a serial killer was at work. Now Jaci has returned home . . . and the nightmare is starting once more.

AND HE’LL NEVER LET YOU GO
Back then, Rylan Cooper was an arrogant deputy sheriff convinced that Jaci was just an attention—seeking teen. It was a fatal mistake. There’s a murderer in their midst, someone determined to settle old scores and keep playing a twisted game. And it won’t end until Jaci is his forever . . .

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I've ordered it from library; hope it comes on time. Is discussion 8th or 15th?

message 3: by Sandra (new) - added it

15th on this one, Charlene! :)

Patty | 526 comments I just used one of my credits on audible! So I am ready.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments Thanks, Sandra! I'll plan to be ready.

message 6: by Jo Ann (new) - added it

Jo Ann (jojog) | 349 comments Waiting for my library copy to arrive!

message 7: by Christine (last edited Dec 04, 2021 11:39AM) (new) - added it

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 2773 comments I finished the book and I really liked it

Linda R, Christine wrote: "I finished that book and I really liked it"

I liked it too, especially the setting: rainy, muddy Missouri. I have relatives there and this reminded me of being there. Very atmospheric. The suspense was good too.

message 9: by Sandra (new) - added it

I'm not sure if I'll be reading this one or not. I'll chime in if I get a copy. Open discussion will begin on the 15th so feel free to openly share your thoughts starting then.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I finished it yesterday and liked it more than I thought I would.

message 11: by Sandra (new) - added it

Charlene wrote: "I finished it yesterday and liked it more than I thought I would."

That's always nice! Glad to hear you liked it.

Hannah (hmatkins) | 77 comments Patty wrote: "I just used one of my credits on audible! So I am ready."

Hey Patty - have you listened to the audiobook yet? I was wondering if you enjoyed the narrator? I listened some to the sample, but was on the fence. Worth it? Or library worthy? :)

message 13: by Sandra (new) - added it

This is now a spoiler zone! Feel free to openly discuss this book.

Linda R, I generally liked this story but I felt that Sheriff Mike was a more complex and likeable character than the supposed hero Rylan. I think that was because we were in Mike's POV so much. Anyone else thought Mike was a stronger character?

message 15: by Laura (new) - rated it 1 star

Laura | 216 comments I dnf at 50%. 200 hundred pages read and the only action is one locket on a doorknob and a dead housekeeper. Snooze.

Jeanette (jenb_73) | 155 comments I found it to be an easy and quick read for me. However, I was a bit surprised at how the author seemed to twist my mind into thinking who the killer could be. I thought it might be her half-brother for a bit, then I was convinced it was Sid and then possibly Andrew.

Linda R, Jeanette wrote: "I found it to be an easy and quick read for me. However, I was a bit surprised at how the author seemed to twist my mind into thinking who the killer could be. I thought it might be her half-brothe..."

I still think Chris, her half brother, was a more convincing suspect considering the lockets. But I guess it was too obvious so author Ivy passed him by for a less obvious culprit.

Hannah (hmatkins) | 77 comments Jeanette wrote: "I found it to be an easy and quick read for me. However, I was a bit surprised at how the author seemed to twist my mind into thinking who the killer could be. I thought it might be her half-brothe..."

That is exactly what I thought as well! I imagine she wrote it so that we would be surprised. But after the first interview with the photography, I didn't think of him again. But I imagine it could have been any of them, honestly.

The step-father and half-brother's stories did surprise me. I suspected drugs, but not rehab. I just assumed the stepfather was having an affair. Ah, what tangled webs we weave.

I enjoyed her writing. This book was my first that she had written. However, I didn't like the narrator on the audiobook. So I think I will be continuing on with the series, but perhaps not on audio.

Thank you guys for introducing me to a new author. :) Looking forward to next month's read as well.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 736 comments I'm there with Jeanette, Linda and Hannah. Will the group continue this series? Just wondering....

message 20: by Vera (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vera M. | 446 comments I finally got around to reading this, though very late to the party. I did think Mike felt like a stronger character but I felt there was more character build for him. which character build was lacking for me for things to make more sense and be more invested. like Mike and Rylan seem to compete with each other from the start but the only explanation we really get is cause they are men.

the wrap up felt like it was missing things. there were characters that while they were there I suppose as suspects, they were close to the MC yet as soon as we find whodunit they just disappear. It might not have bothered me if the wrap up wasn't people stopping by to make a final appearance so that some were there and others not around at all.

message 21: by Sandra (new) - added it

Charlene wrote: "I'm there with Jeanette, Linda and Hannah. Will the group continue this series? Just wondering...."

Charlene, I apologize for missing your post asking about continuing the series. I can set up an author thread where anyone who would like to can participate in reading more of the series.

message 22: by Sandra (new) - added it

If you would like to continue The Agency series, feel free to join the discussion here.